Mother Arrested for Grenade in School

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,584 Senior Member
STRATFORD, Conn. (AP) — The mother of an 11-year-old Connecticut boy has been arrested after police say her son brought a grenade to school for a show and tell related to World War II lessons.

Lisa Miguel of Stratford was charged with risk of injury to a minor, reckless endangerment and illegal possession of an explosive.

Stratford Academy was placed on lockdown Friday. Students were sent to the back of the school until a bomb squad determined the grenade was a simulator used for training.

The 44-year-old Miguel didn't immediately return a message Tuesday seeking comment. Police say she told them the grenade had been a gift from her father, a war veteran, who had told her it was a dud.

State Police say simulator grenades can combust and cause injuries within a 20-foot radius.

The grenade simulators I used in basic training were completely harmless. On the other hand the live grenade I threw was definitely "explosive"! The photo that accompanied the article showed an old "pineapple" grenade with a large hole in it's base and was clearly not a "live" weapon. Ignorant idiots are certainly not in short supply.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,954 Senior Member
    I'm confused....was it a simulator or an inert grenade? One is not the other.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    I guess this would bring in SWAT.....................

http://www.amazon.com/Complaint-Department-Grenade-Number-Desktop/dp/B00APBED0C
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,954 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I guess this would bring in SWAT.....................

http://www.amazon.com/Complaint-Department-Grenade-Number-Desktop/dp/B00APBED0C

Read about Kenyon Ballew http://www.gunweek.com/2011/BATF0615.html That exact thing got him put in a wheelchair for the rest of his life...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Thank God is wasn't a live Pop Tart
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I'm confused....was it a simulator or an inert grenade? One is not the other.....
    It was pictured with a blue painted spoon which is an M21 practice grenade. I am aware of the grenade and artillery simulators which are basically large firecrackers. In my State they would be illegal fireworks. The atomic bomb simulator was contained in a 55 gallon drum. Now that could be an illegal explosive! The practice grenades I used in basic training were the M69. They made a pop with a very small puff of smoke about like putting a #11 percussion cap on the sidewalk and smashing it with a hammer.

M69 Fragmentation Training Hand Grenade

M69 Fragmentation Training Hand Grenade
    The M69 practice hand grenade body, used with the M228 practice hand grenade fuse, provides realistic training and familiarization with the functioning and characteristics of the M67 fragmenting hand grenade in a practice environment. The M69 is reusable, allowing expended M228 fuses to be easily removed and replaced as needed. The body and spoon were painted bright blue. If the grenade in question was inert or a practice grenade with the fuse expended it would have the injury potential of a rock
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Thank God is wasn't a live Pop Tart

[/QUOTE]I love your comment! I am a 1952 model and had many toy guns as a child. I remember a "fanner fifty with greenie stick um caps." It was a Colt peacemaker that had caps which stuck on the plastic cartridge case. You clicked a plastic bullet into the case and when you held the trigger back and "fanned" the hammer it would shoot the plastic bullets almost across the room. The bullets were somehow "fired" by a spring which was in the case. I had a "machine gun" that was actually a Gatling (crank fired). It used about .22 plastic bullets that could glow in the dark. It was belt fed and again spring powered. My favorite was a small sheet metal sub machine gun that loaded a full 50 round of caps. It was wound up and could fire the full role full auto. another favorite was my Remco bazooka! Does anyone else have comments on childhood toy guns?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    I had a rolling block rifle that used the greenie stick um caps on the fake cartridges. It was a lot of fun to shoot. Also had a small replica of a civil war cannon that shot approximately 3" diameter hollow plastic balls about 50 feet. The 'cannon balls' had a hole through the center that fit a guide rod in the bore, and pushing them in with the rammer cocked a spring that shot them. Wiped out a bunch of lincoln log forts with that thing.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    I had the Fanner 50 and the .45 Thompson SMG too! I remember putting a whole role of caps in one and you pulled the knob back to cock it and it would fire until the knob went all the way forward. It was many years later before I found out that was the charging handle/knob on the side of the bolt and it would actually move back and forth as you fire the SMG!

We had Davy Crockett rifles that fired cork-balls from using a single round cap and plastic "Bomb Darts" you loaded a cap into the nose and it exploded when it hit something after you threw it. Toys were way cool and more realistic back then and nobody got their panties in a knot when kids played with them like they do these days.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!