Home Main Category Hunting

How do you deal with feral cats?

2»

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I wonder how a marble shooting crossbow would work for that chore? Triple surgical tube bands on each side and a 'guide tube' stock to keep the marble or bullet aligned until it left the 'muzzle'. It would be pretty quiet.

Oh hell yes. That would be the cat's meow! I have a mess of pigeons from work real quick with that.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,685 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the 357 bullets work better. They seem to fly straighter. Had an invader in the yard eyeballing the chickens, ran to the cave to grab some marbles but couldn't find them. Saw the bullets and tried them.

Moisin-Nagant + .44 mag birdshot, still waiting. If you would just listen, you probably would have NN serving you waffles:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    Years ago, I had a feral litter in my house. A Ruger MkI and subsonic ammo solved that. I didn't want to do it, but when you have kids-- and cats crapping all over your kid's stuff, you aren't left with too many choices. I had to deal with that as soon as I got home from heart surgery way back when.

FYI-- subsonic .22lr going off in a house is not loud enough to alert the children if you are discrete about it. It sounds like someone dropped a heavy book on the floor.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,763 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I wonder how a marble shooting crossbow would work for that chore? Triple surgical tube bands on each side and a 'guide tube' stock to keep the marble or bullet aligned until it left the 'muzzle'. It would be pretty quiet.

Then it would not be a crossbow...it would be a "ballista" something the ancient Romans figured out a few years back...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Then it would not be a crossbow...it would be a "ballista" something the ancient Romans figured out a few years back...

Fine be all sciency with your "facts". Did the Romans ever use this so called ballista for varmit control? I bet not, they were to busy trying to conquer the world.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Close, but no ceegar. Not a ballista. With the surgical tubing, no bow limbs are necessary. Just short non bending arms to attach the tubing to for a little better acceleration. It would necessarily be 'muzzle loading' as the marble or bullet would be captive until it left the muzzle. I've got a couple of crossbow stocks; might have to tinker with that sometime this summer.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams