Efforts to ban lead shot -- tell me about it

124»

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Remington Nylon 66 family of .22LR rifles. Receiver was all plastic with metal bolt, barrel, springs and fasteners. They were, like, only 60 years ahead of everybody else. :roll2:
    ammo mag tube is brass
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,026 Senior Member
    What about tooth damage caused by chomping down on a steel pellet? I think the Dentists are behind this lead shot ban.
    Excuse me while I go tie ribbons on my unicorn. The environmental wackos have been at this lead shot ban for 30 years. Now they want to ban lead bullets? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all rimfire cartridges loaded with lead? As far as big game hunting bullets go, it doesn't affect me as I use Barnes X or Hornady GMX bullets because for me they work better. Can you imagine what .22 rimfire ammo will cost if they go to lead-free? I personally think the lead-ban issue was a farce from the get-go...dreamed-up by anti-hunters. Just my $0.02.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    Can you imagine what .22 rimfire ammo will cost if they go to lead-free? I personally think the lead-ban issue was a farce from the get-go...dreamed-up by anti-hunters. Just my $0.02.

Lead free .22 rimfire ammo is already out there; I think it's been required in some areas of California for several years now.
    It's kind of expensive, too, IF you can find it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/374218/winchester-super-x-ammunition-22-long-rifle-26-grain-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-250-5-boxes-of-50

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo/winchester-varmint-lf-22-lr-26gr-tin-rn-sku105202939-43506-92917.aspx
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    Lead free .22 rimfire ammo is already out there; I think it's been required in some areas of California for several years now.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/374218/winchester-super-x-ammunition-22-long-rifle-26-grain-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-250-5-boxes-of-50

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo/winchester-varmint-lf-22-lr-26gr-tin-rn-sku105202939-43506-92917.aspx

All this anti lead stuff sucks. Could you imagine a musical group named "STEEL" Zeplin? Just don't have da right ring to it, :silly: :roll2: :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,026 Senior Member

Thanks for the info Mike, I didn't know that. The fact that it's required in California doesn't surprise me. I've never seen any around these parts....or ANY .22 LR. ammo for that matter. I'll stick with lead.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member

I have never seen that stuff. If they cant squash the sport one way they will find another.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Thanks for the info Mike, I didn't know that. The fact that it's required in California doesn't surprise me. I've never seen any around these parts....or ANY .22 LR. ammo for that matter. I'll stick with lead.

I've actually seen some of the lead free .22 LR rounds here. It was right after .22LR of any flavor lead bullet became unobtanium. If I recall correctly, they were just short of a $20 bill for a box of 50. There's a local gun shop about 40 miles from me that still has some of that stuff. The price is over $20 a box, and from the dust accumulation on top of the boxes it's been there for at least a couple of years.

This particular gun shop is one that I go to occasionally when I'm in the area, and look for sales on stuff, a.k.a. normal priced everywhere else. ALL their firearms are MSRP+ and their used rack is beyond unreasonably priced.

Buford is right; can't kill a sport one way, then make the ammunition unobtainable.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,930 Senior Member
    I've actually seen some of the lead free .22 LR rounds here. It was right after .22LR of any flavor lead bullet became unobtanium. If I recall correctly, they were just short of a $20 bill for a box of 50. There's a local gun shop about 40 miles from me that still has some of that stuff. The price is over $20 a box, and from the dust accumulation on top of the boxes it's been there for at least a couple of years.

This particular gun shop is one that I go to occasionally when I'm in the area, and look for sales on stuff, a.k.a. normal priced everywhere else. ALL their firearms are MSRP+ and their used rack is beyond unreasonably priced.

Buford is right; can't kill a sport one way, then make the ammunition unobtainable.

If you look back where this thread got started I said this was the main goal of the whole anti lead movement. The left finds any reason to make hunting unpopular. Then gun ownership goes on the decline. Then nobody cares and so there's not enough opposition to gun confiscation and we lose our 2A rights. It's all one and the same, second amendment and hunting. The Bunny Huggers doen't want you to hunt, and the left, basically the same people, doesn't want you to own a gun. And it's amazing how many people can't see this.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    I think a lot of you, our resident self proclaimed genius/chemist/researcher included, are confusing density with hardness.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I think a lot of you, our resident self proclaimed genius/chemist/researcher included, are confusing density with hardness.

No, the density is what would be needed for weight to be a suitable substitute for lead. I think it could be plenty hard enough, just to light. Lead is not really hard.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,708 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    No, the density is what would be needed for weight to be a suitable substitute for lead. I think it could be plenty hard enough, just to light. Lead is not really hard.

I'm refering to the talk about plastic components such as firing pins, slides, buffers, ect. Lead is far denser than plastic but no where hard enough to make a striking component like a firing pin yet some folks appear to think that a plastic firing pin is feasable. Perhaps our resident chemist/plastics expert can chime in on this as even plastic hardness would be rated on a rockwell or brinell scale.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    Oh, my bad. To many topics for one thread.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,492 Senior Member
    Really some great reads, thanks....but....for,those of you that remember, lead 4's folded a duck or a decoyed goose like a dinner napkin! Three inch 4's were perfect for pass shooting. I mean.....dead! I can't even tell you how many birds I crippled with steel over last 28 yrs. So sad.

Lead free for rifle is a huge joke

JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    Really some great reads, thanks....but....for,those of you that remember, lead 4's folded a duck or a decoyed goose like a dinner napkin! Three inch 4's were perfect for pass shooting. I mean.....dead! I can't even tell you how many birds I crippled with steel over last 28 yrs. So sad.

JMHO

Preaching to the choir brother. I've still got a good supply of lead 4s,6s, 7 1/2s and even 9s.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    bellcat wrote: »

JMHO

I've got 3 1/2 bags of chilled hard lead #4 shot, and can't use it for my duck hunting reloads. Good shot for jump shooting ducks on the river when it was legal. They dropped like a rock. The price tags on the shot bags are $12.99 for the 25 pound bags. Kinda old, like me.