I Have A Question.....Opinions, Please

13»

Replies

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    That post is a target rich environment. Sayin'. :tooth:

The corruption in this forum knows no bounds..............:roll2:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    THANKS to all who responded to my question.

The training video was a "come-on", and I knew that from the first few seconds, but it did register with a few things I have often thought about. BUT....I'll go with Teach's 5 basic rules as I have in the past I guess. Best common sense position to have without question.

We're all different in the way we think, and here is what has troubled me in thinking about how to react if attacked:
    Don't make the mistake in thinking that I'm saying how smart I am, because what I'm expressing is probably just the opposite:
    All of us have minds that direct our brains to think in different ways. mine is analytical to the utmost. Give me a problem and I'll analyze it to the Nth degree, tear it apart, go at it from all sides then turn around and do it again until I arrive at a point that I can accept as correct what I am looking for. The Navy quickly recognized this, and that's the reason I was pulled out of the "Deck Gang", Mustang commissioned and put in intelligence work. Not because I was smarter, but simply because my brain wouldn't accept things to be so without tearing it apart and analyzing the hell out of it. Now.....fast forward this "disease" to THIS!

An old man, mid-late 70's, topping off his fuel tank, appearing to be a prime target for a "methonite" needing cash money. An attack is initiated....most of you, especially the couple or so "jet jockeys" we have on the Board, are going to act instantly in your defense and take the fight directly to the "methonite" before he realizes what is happening. Me? If I'm not careful, I'm going to want to "analyze" the whole situation and create-in my brain-different scenarios about what in hell is taking place before I pull my little Sig P-232 and act in my defense. This is what I have to overcome, and this is what I will work on. The probability of being attacked here locally is very, very small, but it can happen and IS happening more and more with our drug problem. Again, Thanks to everyone!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,685 Senior Member
    An old man, mid-late 70's, topping off his fuel tank, appearing to be a prime target for a "methonite" needing cash money. An attack is initiated....most of you, especially the couple or so "jet jockeys" we have on the Board, are going to act instantly in your defense and take the fight directly to the "methonite" before he realizes what is happening. Me? If I'm not careful, I'm going to want to "analyze" the whole situation and create-in my brain-different scenarios about what in hell is taking place before I pull my little Sig P-232 and act in my defense. This is what I have to overcome, and this is what I will work on. The probability of being attacked here locally is very, very small, but it can happen and IS happening more and more with our drug problem. Again, Thanks to everyone!

Rich a little training might help you think outside the box a little as with that gas pumping scenario, you already have a weapon in your hand and being startled and "accidently" spraying gas or diesel on someone that approches you will usually make them change their plans. A little training might help you identify ofther options besides drawing a weapon.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Rich a little training might help you think outside the box a little as with that gas pumping scenario, you already have a weapon in your hand and being startled and "accidently" spraying gas or diesel on someone that approches you will usually make them change their plans. A little training might help you identify ofther options besides drawing a weapon.
    Good point. Sometimes the solution is not to use the hammer on your hip, but the one already in your hand. Kinda reminds me of a trainer who relayed the story of when he asked someone what they would do if they were driving a vehicle and someone menacingly pointed a firearm at them. The questionee told how he'd stop, position the vehicle such that the driver's side was away from the miscreant, and how he'd position himself to return fire but minimize his profile.

Guy never thought to drive away or drive over Mr. Bad Guy....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    My offer still stands, Rich. If you want the DVDs, they're yours.

Eli wrote: »
    Back on the topic of DVDs, several years ago Magpul Dynamics put out a series of instructional films. Their handgun series "The Art of the Dynamic Handgun" is really top notch. It doesn't deal entirely with concealed carry, but it does have a really good concealed carry section. I've watched my copy about a dozen times, enough that the info is kinda burned into my brain, it's been sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust for the last couple of years.

PM me your mailing address and I'll ship it to you. If you find the info within to be useful, next time you come to the SE shoot bring me enough cornmeal to make some hushpuppies and bread a mess of fish and we'll call it even.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    And how many times have you regaled us with the same tired tales of your "steely nerves"

The "steely nerves" thing is so old. And like much of this stuff, it never came from me. If you can find where I said I had "steely nerves" then I'll donate $25 to the legit charity of your choice. If you cannot find it (because I NEVER said that), then you donate $25 to Wounded Warriors, okay?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    This spat is off topic and detracting from the OPs quest for information.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    This spat is off topic and detracting from the OPs quest for information.

I think you will find the correct advice was given in the second answer down, as I am sure Rich is aware.

With rest of the thread, I find no fault. :roll2::roll2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,412 Senior Member
    I have actually given some thought to the "accosted at the gas pump" scenario, and I usually work the fuel nozzle with my left hand, leaving the right hand free to draw from my IWB holster. Nothing like a good soaking with 87 octane to change a scumbag's mind about an attack, especially when I offer to "give him a light" with the muzzle flash of my gun!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    shush wrote: »
    I think you will find the correct advice was given in the second answer down, as I am sure Rich is aware.

With rest of the thread, I find no fault. :roll2::roll2:

I was not taking the entertainment factor into account.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Very rarely do I check in here on the Personal Defense Thread. Even though I've had a Concealed Carry Permit for many years, I simply don't feel a need to carry unless I'm on the road with the family en route to somewhere. I live in the woods for the most part and am almost always in a safe environment. BUT....more and more we are having major trouble with the "Methonites" and other druggies in the area, and it shows no sign of letting up. I've read that old men are considered high-end targets for violent attacks, and, even though I feel like I'm 20 years old, I Ain't! So.....

Personal defense holds more interest for me now than it ever has. I watched a video earlier this morning selling a personal defense training program that has triggered me into thinking a little stronger on this issue. I knew instantly that it was a "sales gimmick", but it made sense and it pointed out a lot of things that I've always said about action-reaction in a confrontational situation. So, my question....

Who is familiar with this video training course? Recommend or ignore? Your thoughts, please:

THE ARMED AMERICAN'SCOMPLETE CONCEILED CARRY GUIDE TO EFFECTIVE SELF-DEFENSE. The 7 videos cost $147.00 shipped, which is pretty low in $$ in my opinion. Is it worth the time that it would require in training? Anyone?

Youtube is free. Filter out the mall ninja stuff and there is some great info yo be had.

Second, if buying videos, consider used copies (or borrowing from friends) of the Travis Haley and Chris Costa Magpul videos. It's not gospel, but they have a lot of good weapon manipulation/deployment demonstration. And they can be found on Amazon for sale prices, but I haven't looked in a while.

If homestead defense is more of a concern, these videos are particularly useful.

Also, post signs up around your property: "Warning: the unwanted and/or unwarranted entry on to this premises may result in your death."
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I have actually given some thought to the "accosted at the gas pump" scenario... Jerry

I see you have met the wife, I get this when I leave the diesel flap on her Volvo car ajar. :whip2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,660 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    The "steely nerves" thing is so old. And like much of this stuff, it never came from me. If you can find where I said I had "steely nerves" then I'll donate $25 to the legit charity of your choice. If you cannot find it (because I NEVER said that), then you donate $25 to Wounded Warriors, okay?

The steely nerves does ring a bell though.
    PLEASE guys don't think I'm bragging for pete's sake, I'm just describing my own situation -- as much of this thread deals with personal experiences and attributes...

I've always been a sort of "cold fish". Why, I don't know. But I've been nearly unshaken by a harrowing situation, such as a fire or flood or being shot at, or other fairly dangerous things. It's not that I'm "brave" because I'm definitely not. It's that I simply don't get upset or nervous or jittery or shaky. Probably not bravery, absolutely not, more likely because I'm so dense that I don't realize that I'm in danger.

In most every situation I can remember, gun related or otherwise, I just don't react excitedly until maybe 30 min after. But during the incident, I'm a cold cucumber. My wife saw this several times and since she was a very emotional gal, she often accused me of being uncaring or cold. I in fact did care, I just didn't show it by getting jitters or whatever.

And I tell you this with honesty, as I'm trying to describe how things are inside, I've been threatened, I've been shot at, I've been close to shooting somone on several occasions. And I was cold as ice during.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Teach wrote: »
    I have actually given some thought to the "accosted at the gas pump" scenario, and I usually work the fuel nozzle with my left hand, leaving the right hand free to draw from my IWB holster. Nothing like a good soaking with 87 octane to change a scumbag's mind about an attack, especially when I offer to "give him a light" with the muzzle flash of my gun!
    Jerry

Good idea, Teach

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Buford wrote: »
    The steely nerves does ring a bell though.

But at least twice I've tried to explain the situation, that it's NOT being brave or steely or anything remotely like that. It's just that I simply don't have much of an outward emotional response to ANY sort of trauma or tragedy or crisis. It's like there's a void in my mind that prevents me from being very emotional. And I've TRIED to make this clear, to no avail, apparently, that I DO NOT consider this bravery or being tough or anything similar. Being "cold as ice" inside isn't necessarily a thing to value or speak gladly of. I simply was describing the REAL inner feelings I had, which were essentially zero, zip, nada, emotionless. This isn't necessarily a positive or desirable trait, as I've lost pals and girlfriends as a result of my lack of emotional response to them. I do "care" but it's mostly intellectual and not emotional.

I've TRIED several times to speak of this so that people here won't think this is a display of macho or bravery or "steely eyes" (which I NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER said, DUH!) -- I'm just a "cold fish" and that's the truth, but it's not necessarily a good thing. As a result I don't panic easily, okay? IS THAT UNDERSTOOD??? But my lack of panicking or excitement or inner juice when in a tight predicament is NOT NOT NOT NOT resulting from my being brave or keen or steely eyed. It is instead because I don't have much inside that is describable as "emotions", good or bad.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding. I realize that my previous statements were vague and may have led some impressionable members here to think I was bragging about such lack of feelings. The fault is mine for not more carefully describing the situation in my mind.

If anyone here still thinks that I was bragging or showing off or otherwise touting my "steely eyed" response (which I NEVER NEVER NEVER said anyway), please feel free to take a flying leap. Or maybe start a fan club on my behalf, depending on the varied capacity of the readers to want to join a new cult or other keen thing.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,231 Senior Member
    Sam, "cold fish" do not reply with NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. And similar punctuation. You're emotionally affected, apparently.

Enjoy who you are, but I don't think without knowing you are a cold fish. You're emotional, or at least your posts reflect this. Which is OK. A cold fish doesn't sing opera.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    A cold fish doesn't sing opera.

Mmm, well, on stage is another matter -- it's all pretend and so it can be faked. And yeah, when the scenery collapses during the performance, or a railing gives way and dumps me about 15 feet down, yeah, there's a bit of a crisis. But as I said, it's that in crisis or critical situations that I don't seem to feel emotional things or react with what could be termed "nerves".

btw, the repeated all-caps message was deemed necessary, as some here are kinda slow on the uptake and apparently didn't understand the background of what I had previously posted. Sometimes the personal agenda of some members precludes their ability to discern what is said unless it's posted in big, easy to read caps. Or, possibly my lack of being appropriately articulate and not explaining things carefully enough for their capability to understand.

But thanks.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

btw, the repeated all-caps message was deemed necessary, as some here are kinda slow on the uptake and apparently didn't understand the background of what I had previously posted. Sometimes the personal agenda of some members precludes their ability to discern what is said unless it's posted in big, easy to read caps. Or, possibly my lack of being appropriately articulate and not explaining things carefully enough for their capability to understand.

But thanks.

HEY, I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK! :tooth::roll2::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    HEY, I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK! :tooth::roll2::rotflmao:

Rimshot!

It's like there's a void in my mind that prevents me from being very emotional.

My BIL is like that. He could be ready to give you a bug hug and tell you he loves you, or rip your arm off and feed it to you. You would not know the difference in his posture, tone or expressions.