Home Main Category Hunting

Speed Goat hunters, any advice?

2»

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...you got yer maps, right???

Well, we ordered them. Paid for them, over a month ago. Haven't seen them yet.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,036 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Well, we ordered them. Paid for them, over a month ago. Haven't seen them yet.

Well, that's a new one.

"I didn't get lost, but my map did"........................

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    :roll2::roll2:
    The maps showed up, today. I'm at my in-laws. My FIL called up there, Tues, they gave him the run-around, then told him they'd ship it as soon as they hung up. It's not on Mylar, which we paid for. Oh, well, we've got the map, heading North in the morning.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,941 Senior Member
    Good luck, JB. I'll be heading out with Linefinder and Mosseybuck about 3 tomorrow morning. We'll be chasing goats, too.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,482 Senior Member
    Have a great time.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Good luck, JB. I'll be heading out with Linefinder and Mosseybuck about 3 tomorrow morning. We'll be chasing goats, too.

Good luck to you guys! I'll be looking for your pics. We probably won't start hunting till Monday.
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I want pics!!!!!!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Good luck JB, Jerry, Mossy and Mike!!!

I'm heading out at O'dark-thirty Sunday morning for mine.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

I'm heading out at O'dark-thirty Sunday morning for mine.

Good luck to you, sir. Can't wait for the report. Hopefully, I'll have some kind of internet access up in Casper. Probably not.
    Good luck, amigo! The goats are anxiously awaiting your arrival.

Mike
    N454casull
    Oh, another tip for you.

If your goat is in a herd (and it probably will be this time of year) and you blow your first shot, don't freak out and immediately try to tag one on the run. I've learned that, like people, there's fast goats and not so fast goats. More often than not, when you botch a shot and they take off, often the lead goat will stop after a hundred yards or so, look back, and stand there to let the slow goats catch up. If they happened to run that 100 yards parallel to you and not away from you, you may have time for another shot at a stationary target.

Can't say this is the case all the time, but in my experience, I've seen it work out this way more often than not.

Mike
    N454casull
    That's a great tip. If only we could find a goat on public land, or the HMA we have access to. Every single, stinking one of them is either on private land, or "off limits" parts of the HMA.
    Seriously, two days of hunting, I haven't even chambered a round, or flipped open my scope caps.
    I'm bummed as hell.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,482 Senior Member
    If you were in my part of the country it wouldn't be an issue-sorry
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    jbohio wrote: »
    I'm bummed as hell.

Okay.....another piece of advice. Don't get too down just yet. Of all the types of hunting I've ever done, pronghorn hunting is, by far, the most apt to turn on a dime that I've ever done. You can go from "this sucks" to "on top of the world" in less than two minutes. My last three goat hunts worked out exactly like that. Prospects in all cases were getting pretty bleak, but those three hunts yielded 3 of the best shots I've ever made. And they all happened quickly, just when I was starting to figure the game was up.

Mike
    N454casull
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,805 Senior Member
    Don't give up yet!!! Stay on it, your luck just may change. I am going back out tomorrow afternoon, here is to hoping BOTH our luck shall change!!

:beer:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Okay.....another piece of advice. Don't get too down just yet. Of all the types of hunting I've ever done, pronghorn hunting is, by far, the most apt to turn on a dime that I've ever done. You can go from "this sucks" to "on top of the world" in less than two minutes. My last three goat hunts worked out exactly like that. Prospects in all cases were getting pretty bleak, but those three hunts yielded 3 of the best shots I've ever made. And they all happened quickly, just when I was starting to figure the game was up.

Mike

Ain't that the truth!

The thing about chasing goats is that things can be so misleading. The country is wide open, with what looks to be zero cover, and you can literally see for miles. You can glass until you think your eyeballs are about to fall out, and swear there's not a goat within a hundred miles. Then, one can appear out of nowhere and you're hunt is over.

Another paradox involves trying to get close to the ones you can see. They'll stay out of range and there will seem to be no way you can get close. Then, someone happens along, something catches their attention, or you try some goofball strategy that seems crazy as heck, and the next thing you know they're in range.

But, for what it's worth JB, I've been where you are, and gone home empty handed more than a few times. Sometmes it's just not meant to be. Just think of it this way. What else could you be doing that you would enjoy more?
    Jerry

I'm not sure if I wanna tell this part, but what the heck. I think I'm among friends.

On our way home Saturday afternoon, we went through a little podunk town that has a combination gas station / convenience store / diner. We've eaten there before, and knew the food was usually good, so we stopped and had lunch. It was good, btw.

The place was crawling with hunters, us included. There were a lots of people wearing blaze orange (a Colorado requirement). I still had my orange cap on, and was wearing a pair of camo pants, so it really wasn't hard to figure out what I had been doing.

Any way, before we left, I visited the men's room. While I was in there, a guy I had never seen before asked me how we had done. I told him, and he asked me about the laws for hunting antelope. I explained, and then he proceded to tell me that he had land in the extreme southeast corner of the state, and would welcome anyone who wanted to come hunt it, especially for antelope. He said he NEVER charged anyone to hunt.

He seemed legit, so I got his name and phone number. For some reason, he thought he should give me his wife's name. I wonder why....

The place he has is a lot further to go than we hunt, but I have a friend who hunts down there, so I sent him email with contact info. He may contact this guy next year.

Landowners on the eastern plains of Colorado are like none I've ever ran into. Most WELCOME you to hunt antelope on their property, and wish you could kill more than one. It's different than anything I've ever experienced before.
    Jerry

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    I'm not sure if I wanna tell this part, but what the heck. I think I'm among friends. ( A friend is going to ride you more than a stranger)Any way, before we left, I visited the men's room. While I was in there, a guy I had never seen before asked me how we had done. I told him, and he asked me about the laws for hunting antelope. I explained, and then he proceded to tell me that he had land in the extreme southeast corner of the state, and would welcome anyone who wanted to come hunt it, especially for antelope. He said he NEVER charged anyone to hunt.

Was this the guy??? :tooth:

larry-craig.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    Was this the guy??? :tooth:

larry-craig.jpg

Amazing! How did you know?????
    Jerry

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Amazing! How did you know?????

Call it a hunch..... He wasn't doing the 'wide stance' was he??? :silly:
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    I hunt CO for antelope every year for last 4 years, taken 2 nice bucks in 08 and 09 with rifle, a doe in 09, and archery this year, 75" pope and young. I pay to hunt with an outfitter on private land, little more expensive but i NEVER see another hunter. Add up a few out of state non productive hunts and the price comes way down for outfitter:-)
    Private land is where it is at, Iam hunting NM next Sept, antelope and mule deer in wyoming Oct 5th and Co on the 9th, my antelope trifecta:-)
    I work odd jobs on the weekend to pay for my hunts, the wife knows how much I love hunting and says If Iam willing to work instead of drink beer and watch football she is all to happy:silly: