Home Main Category Hunting

Head shot................

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,271 Senior Member
.............last night in the packing shed.
.177 cal
Iron sights
Range 27 feet ( approx.)

Was going to use the 270 but thought at that range it would be stretching it and I couldn't be bothered trying to dial it up.

Considered getting a full mount done but there was too much damage to the head.............might just go with a tail mount instead.

rat002_zps67c47297.jpg
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    This should have been in the "knock down thread"
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    might just go with a tail mount instead.

Taking after Buffy, are you?
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,271 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    This should have been in the "knock down thread"

When it was hit, the rat stood up on his back legs, quivered for a second or two then dropped DRT.

Projectile did a clean pass through and still managed to dent the skirting board under the bench. ( Sorry Zee, didn't do a PM with pics) Projectile retained its shape and weight with only a small amount of deformation.
    I used to shoot rats on a dump with a pump up pellet gun shooting BB's.

Hit them in the head facing you and they'd run away laughing.

A side shot like that was needed.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,803 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Projectile did a clean pass through and still managed to dent the skirting board under the bench. ( Sorry Zee, didn't do a PM with pics) Projectile retained its shape and weight with only a small amount of deformation.

Was that one of those legendary Kynoch solid .177 caliber pellets?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,395 Senior Member
    Nice shootin' :worthy:

Knowing the size of that lighter, I think you chose well forgoing the 270 for the 177 :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,989 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Nice shootin' :worthy:

Knowing the size of that lighter, I think you chose well forgoing the 270 for the 177 :tooth:

It's a good thing he did or he just might have PO'd that rat and we would have been reading a kiwi obituary instead.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    A fine animal....if you ever get the chance to read...."Backyard Safari" .......by Capstick.....do it..........Ken
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    OMG! Sometimes this place reminds me of what a guy used to say at work. "It's like wiping your butt on a Wagon Wheel, There ain't no End to the Pooh!!!"

Well he didn't use quite that tame of language, but you get the idea...:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Sorta like the kicking machine up the road if it is still there----it was tried out by Pres Truman
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Good shooting! By taking the head shot there's no damage to the rest of the carcass. No damage to the tender cuts of meat, especially the backstraps. Good thing you opted for the .177 pellet gun instead of the .270; stopping a charging rat angered by a shot from a .270 would have been a dicey situation for sure!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Poor choice.......Should have used the 270........After All "IT IS " A Mouse gun
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done Alec, shoot them in the face. What did it dress out at? Did you skin it out and save the fur? 40 or 50 more of them an you will have enough fur to make a hat. Keep yer powder dry..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    And he dropped his lighter! See, smoking kills!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,271 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Poor choice.......Should have used the 270........After All "IT IS " A Mouse gun

Whats with the suggestion of going 'undergunned'............I believe in humane kills. At the most the 270 would have probably caused mild concussion...........if it made it the 27' that is.