Finally got the No 1 scoped like I wanted

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
Had lot's of trouble with this one. Eye relief was the problem. Not nearly enough. I asked about it here and elsewhere. tennmike said get a second offset ring, so I did and it worked. Thanks buddy.
The wife has promised to help me finish my bench in the morning so I should be able to get her sighted in in the morning. The rifle, not my wife.
I chose a Weaver Classic, fixed 4x. I really like this scope and IMHO it's perfect for this rifle's job.
That said, the LOP is short, so after I get it dialed in I'll be doing extensive field position testing. If that brings up eye relief again, so be it. Mike found a pc rail for No. 1s.

I don't know when this rifle was made or what it's been through, but the bore was filthy and the bluing is thin. It's been sitting in a Tipton rest out in the shop while I waited on parts and I had surface rust to deal with today.

Wish me luck

Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Is that a stuffed dog on the left? Why is he smiling?

Good luck.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Is that a stuffed dog on the left? Why is he smiling?

Good luck.

Actually it's like a plastic wolf. It scares the hell out of most people and dogs when they first see it. He smiles be cause he knows he fooled you. He's inscrutable.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Why the offset mount? Can you show another picture from the rear of that setup?

I can try to get you a pic buddy but it will have to be later. Ruger includes rings in some of their rifles and handguns. The bases being machined into the receivers or frames respectively.

The No.1 has a quarter rib and they include 2 rings. One is just a ring. The other is the offset one. It's more of a base and ring looking combo thing. ? The offset thing is front to back and has nothing to do with side to side and you can turn the offset side from front to back or forward to rearward. With 2 off set mounts both the objective bell and he turrets could be slid back far enough for proper eye relief. Pics in a short.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    I wonder if recoil will knock that level off the top turret.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    As far as the thin blueing. Just Dura coat that rifle. They are a dime a dozen and no one will care.:tooth:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Eye relief can be a real challenge with some scope rifle combos. Good job getting it to fit. I have used Oxpho Blue from Brownells for a few things. It is by far the easiest to use and durability over an existing blue should be even better amazingly. Ceracoat is great if you are getting away from the wood metal look. If the wood is especially good and you want a showpiece rust bluing while labor intensive is simple and beautiful.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member

...those Ruger mounts aren't really "offset", they're "extended", to move the rings (& scope) back toward your eye, the "normal" rings on a Number 1 leave the scope placed so far forward most people can't use it...
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...those Ruger mounts aren't really "offset", they're "extended", to move the rings (& scope) back toward your eye, the "normal" rings on a Number 1 leave the scope placed so far forward most people can't use it...

When I called Ruger the chick on the phone called it offset but I looked at the package it came in and your right it does say extended. However the ring is offset from the attachment point.

A1.jpg 19.2K
    A2.jpg 13.6K
    A3.jpg 22.8K
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    When I called Ruger the chick on the phone called it offset but I looked at the package it came in and your right it does say extended. However the ring is offset from the attachment point.

With the vast array of optics anything short of full length rails will require specialty mounts.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    Here's the Leatherwood mount I ordered and have in hand for my #1 .223 heavy barrel. Haven't had time to put it on yet. The mount weighs about 6 ounces, but the rifle weighs about 10 pounds, so that weight will not be noticed. I think it will be the solution for my rifle. Length of pull is just right on the rifle, but even with two offset rings, it's still hard to get a good sight picture through the scope. This mount will correct that.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/460467/leatherwood-hi-lux-1-piece-tactical-picatinny-style-scope-base-ruger-no-1-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,724 Senior Member
    Good going Razor, I like the way that mount looks. Only Ruger No 1 I ever handled or shot was Big Als at the SE Shoot. Beautiful Rifles and fun to shoot.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Beautiful Rifles and fun to shoot.

Thanks but I'll have to take your word for the shooting part. I don't ever remember buying a gun and having to wait as Long as I have to shoot it as this one.
    First the seller was slow to ship.
    Then Optics planet dropped the ball big time.
    Then I had the eye relief problem and had to figure out what to do.
    Then Ruger took their sweet time shipping that ring.
    I've had dies and factory ammo sitting on my reloading bench for weeks. And now I finished my shooting bench today but it's so hot outside I can't keep the sweat outta my eyes. Sigh...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,180 Senior Member
    Thanks but I'll have to take your word for the shooting part. I don't ever remember buying a gun and having to wait as Long as I have to shoot it as this one.
    First the seller was slow to ship.
    Then Optics planet dropped the ball big time.
    Then I had the eye relief problem and had to figure out what to do.
    Then Ruger took their sweet time shipping that ring.
    I've had dies and factory ammo sitting on my reloading bench for weeks. And now I finished my shooting bench today but it's so hot outside I can't keep the sweat outta my eyes. Sigh...

Know what you mean. I have acquired three firearms this year that have yet to throw lead downrange. I guess getting the floors fixed so I don't fall through took precedence. Soon, though, very soon!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.