Need a little help identifying this scope mount.....

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 14,825 Senior Member
This is the mount on my 1957 vintage Winchester Model 88. It is a B&L 2.5-8X. There are no adjustment turrets on the tube (as you can see)...windage and elevation adjustments are made on the mount.

DSCF1530_zps8b90d33b.jpg

DSCF1529_zpsf681e646.jpg

DSCF1528_zps5c38f95d.jpg

any idea who made it and during what time period?
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    No clue, but that's flat out awesome just for nostalgia.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Classic awesomeness. Maybe B&L as well.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Classic awesomeness. Maybe B&L as well.

My first thought is if the scope has no adjustments, then the mount was made for it. I vote B&L before doing any research.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    My first Google - FU found this...

http://www.hegibbs.com/scopes.htm

balvar5.gif

1/2X To 5X Balvar 5

When a man has a problem deciding between the 2 1/2 X and the 4X, the Balvar 5 gives him both scopes (and more) in one. Power change is continuous on the zoom principle so the sportsman can select the right magnification for the game and hunting conditions. As the power changes, there is no change in zero, focus, eye point, or apparent reticle size.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,487 Senior Member
    Scope and mount are Bausch and lomb, the mount is adjustable for elevation and windage, scope has no adjustment other than eye focus. very popular in the 40s thru late 50s.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    Thanks all...it appears the optic is probably the original glass that grandpa mounted (or had mounted) on it back in the late 50's early 60's....I'll get it to the range as soon as the magazine shows up and see if everything still works...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,724 Senior Member
    I've never seen that scope mount that I remember. That's a pretty slick setup! I like the rifle, too. What's the chambering?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I've never seen that scope mount that I remember. That's a pretty slick setup! I like the rifle, too. What's the chambering?

.243 Win
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Scope and mount are Bausch and lomb, the mount is adjustable for elevation and windage, scope has no adjustment other than eye focus. very popular in the 40s thru late 50s.

JAY

I thought those Balvars were the cat's pajamas back in the day, probably why I still like low power variables to this day
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs