New/Old Gun

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 9,088 Senior Member
At the SE Shoot I gave our forum brother TennMike a never used dust collector H&R single shot 20 gauge shotgun. Fast foward several weeks and a short barreled .357 mag. Single shot rifle was delivered to my door. The guns overall length is 33.5" the barrel measuring 18.5" It took a while for the scope to arrive, and I had to get taller rings for the scope to clear the hammer and brass hammer extension that TennMike made.. It is finally ready to go kill a hog for the freezer. TennMike is a true craftsman and he took a forgotten gun and turned it into something that I am proud to own. THANKS MIKE
uploadfromtaptalk1406498705631.jpg
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,715 Senior Member
    Nice gun, short and light, that's the way I like em.

Ron you and TennMike get a big:yousuck:

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like it. Lay the hammer down on some pigs.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet, get bustin!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,365 Senior Member
    Hope it does right by ya! It is a handy sized carbine that is fun to shoot. Get out there and thin the hogs, and kill a deer or three with it. And most of all, just enjoy it!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Hope it does right by ya! It is a handy sized carbine that is fun to shoot. Get out there and thin the hogs, and kill a deer or three with it. And most of all, just enjoy it!

Did you do a reline or use a barrel blank and tension it? I have seen subguage tubes on the market is that what this is?
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Very cool. Should be a lot of fun.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,280 Senior Member
    This is cool just for the fellowship, friendship, helpfulness, and story of those on this forum. Very cool.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,900 Senior Member
    Once again, Mike is a forum treasure!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Did you do a reline or use a barrel blank and tension it? I have seen subguage tubes on the market is that what this is?

Opened up chamber area to preclude any chance of ever chambering a shotshell in it. Took .357 barrel blank and turned it on lathe to fit inside the existing, and shortened barrel. Used a Cerrosafe casting to get the dimensions for transition from opened up chamber area to barrel bore. Used Acra-Glass gel to epoxy barrel liner in place same as if reboring and relining a barrel with a barrel liner. Solder used to be used, but once the high strength epoxies hit the market the solder method fell out of favor for the most part. The shotgun bore was roughed up to give the epoxy something to grip. All liner dimensions are 0.003" undersized for epoxy except for 1" behind muzzle and 1" in front of breech; those dimensions are 0.001" undersized. This is to allow a place for the epoxy to bond.

The Acra-Glass gel is the method I went to quite a few years ago after doing some tests to make sure what I had read about its use for barrel relining was true. That stuff can take some heat and not turn loose.

Some guys on another forum get barrels and cut them off at the area in front of the hinge mount and then thread them. Then they thread a barrel blank to same threads. That method works well, also, but donor barrels are getting hard to find. A couple of guys are getting around the lack of donor barrels by making the breech and hinge sections themselves, and welding the two together. They have been making some heavy hitters doing that.

FWIW, that one for Diver is #7. So far, I've done .38-55, .44 Mag., .357 Mag., .32 H&R Mag., .45ACP, and .45 Colt. The two .45 cals were the most recent, as in this year; they were Rossi 12 and 20 ga. shotguns originally. The .45 Colt is on the 12 ga. frame and the .45ACP is on the 20 ga. frame.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 9,088 Senior Member
    So far the rifle has only been shot at an indoor range to 25 yards. I cant wait to get out to the rifle range and zero in the scope.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,434 Senior Member
    I shot one of his conversions, 38-55 I think and it was sweet. Very accurate. Mike does excellent work, well maybe not so much on homemade tannerite but on guns.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    What kind of range would you guys think would be maximum on a hog with 357?
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,038 Senior Member
    Man! That is too cool for description!!! I would think it would be good to 100-150 yards for sure. That's a good range for hogs. I've shot exactly 5 over 100 I believe and if I would have waited I could have nailed a couple of those much closer. I like closer better n farther. Anyway, that things good for 99% of the hogs you'll see. Like I said, too Cool for description.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    SWEET RIG! YOU SUCK! :tooth:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Opened up chamber area to preclude any chance of ever chambering a shotshell in it. Took .357 barrel blank and turned it on lathe to fit inside the existing, and shortened barrel. Used a Cerrosafe casting to get the dimensions for transition from opened up chamber area to barrel bore. Used Acra-Glass gel to epoxy barrel liner in place same as if reboring and relining a barrel with a barrel liner. Solder used to be used, but once the high strength epoxies hit the market the solder method fell out of favor for the most part. The shotgun bore was roughed up to give the epoxy something to grip. All liner dimensions are 0.003" undersized for epoxy except for 1" behind muzzle and 1" in front of breech; those dimensions are 0.001" undersized. This is to allow a place for the epoxy to bond.

The Acra-Glass gel is the method I went to quite a few years ago after doing some tests to make sure what I had read about its use for barrel relining was true. That stuff can take some heat and not turn loose.

Some guys on another forum get barrels and cut them off at the area in front of the hinge mount and then thread them. Then they thread a barrel blank to same threads. That method works well, also, but donor barrels are getting hard to find. A couple of guys are getting around the lack of donor barrels by making the breech and hinge sections themselves, and welding the two together. They have been making some heavy hitters doing that.

FWIW, that one for Diver is #7. So far, I've done .38-55, .44 Mag., .357 Mag., .32 H&R Mag., .45ACP, and .45 Colt. The two .45 cals were the most recent, as in this year; they were Rossi 12 and 20 ga. shotguns originally. The .45 Colt is on the 12 ga. frame and the .45ACP is on the 20 ga. frame.
    Nice. I have welded up a few setups for others. You sound like my friend Dave(Epps1919). He built a Gatling from the original patent drawings then built the full artillery carriage from scratch. Now he has built a Coffee Mill Gun as well and is working on the carriage. Then there is his signature1919 built semi auto from an Israeli parts kit with a homemade crank fire. Like I said in my other thread a skilled machinist makes a handy friend.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Buffco wrote: »
    What kind of range would you guys think would be maximum on a hog with 357?

TennMike says range for Hogs and Deer = out to 100 yards.

The areas that I have hunted wild pigs in South Fla, that would be a loong shot. I expect that with the proper bullet and waiting for the right shot 75 yards would not be pushing the envelope for this rifle.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,454 Senior Member
    I shot one of Mike's with some of my 180gr WFN loads, it was a "puddy tat" and I would expect that load to hammer a hog @ 100 yards.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,900 Senior Member
    A .357 158 gr Federal Hydroshock leaves an 18 inch barrel at 1720 FPS making about 1050 FPE. With a 1.5 inch scope height and 100 yard zero, and a ballistic coefficient of .15 it is 0.2 inches high at 25 yards, 1.2 inch high at 50 yards , 1.1 inches high at 75 yards and 0 at 100 yards. It makes 611 FPE at 100 yards, which is plenty. That's like a point blank shot with a .357 and a 6 inch barrel.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of shooting it a little over a week ago. It is just sweet!!!!! I was wondering when you were getting around to sharing here.

I had to wait for the scope to come in. The one you shot it with was the 3X9 that came on the Marlin 30-30.
    New Scope is a Bushnell 1.5X4.5X32mm. Then I had to get higher rings as the eye bell did not clear the hammer. It felt a little high for me, but as you know anything lower just wouldnt work. I had the cheek pad in a drawer and stuck it on and now the scope sits exactly where it needs to be.
    This handy little rifle is screaming to go out and be shot. Lets go get some pigs for the smoker.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I shot one of Mike's with some of my 180gr WFN loads, it was a "puddy tat" and I would expect that load to hammer a hog @ 100 yards.

Mine is built on a 12 gauge frame and barrel, so it has a bit more weight to fight any recoil. Those 200 grain loads you helped me with are a bit more brisk in the recoil department, and accurate to boot. And a 200 grain .358 bullet at 1700+ fps from a .357 Mag. carbine is just crazy! You were right about Lil' Gun for that load! :up:

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,036 Senior Member
    That is sweet. Nice project!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,454 Senior Member
    Mine is built on a 12 gauge frame and barrel, so it has a bit more weight to fight any recoil. Those 200 grain loads you helped me with are a bit more brisk in the recoil department, and accurate to boot. And a 200 grain .358 bullet at 1700+ fps from a .357 Mag. carbine is just crazy! You were right about Lil' Gun for that load! :up:
    Glad I could help :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.