Cheap holsters

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
I love buying guns. I've paid way too much for most of mine, for several reasons: I'm excitable, I'm not very knowledgeable about them, and I have piss-poor timing.

But the fact I've over paid bothers me not a lick. You know what does wad my panties up in my crack? The thought of paying good money for accessories of this fine hobby.

Hence the reason I own only one, count it, ONE holster. It's an IWB for my 1911 and I hate it with the force of 10,000 dying suns.

It's actually a quality holster. High noon, horse hide. I just hate an IWB holster but with the way I dress I'm not allowed much choice. The discomfort of wearing the thing also causes me to leave it at home more oft than not.

Wow this kinda stretched out a bit.... Oh yeah, I hate buying holsters. But I need 2. One for the aforementioned 1911, and one for my 4" 686.

I wear them hunting more than anywhere else. Well, I would if I had a holster. I'm just loathe to pay 89-129 for a holster when I could put that money towards more guns.

I've searched gunbroker but they don't have anything that will fit. Is there anywhere else you guys know that I could find what I'm looking for?

/cheap bastard

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,275 Senior Member
    Let me see what's in the holster box....
    Is that a full size 1911?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Let me see what's in the holster box....
    Is that a full size 1911?

I'm not Gingerly, but it's a commander-ish Kimber.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,513 Senior Member
    EBay.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    For the 1911 look for a belt slide. Simple and cheap.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,387 Senior Member
    For a 1911, I like an Askins Avenger holster. It's quick and secure and relatively cheap. It's also known by other names, but most include "Avenger" in the name. My favorite 1911 holster of all time.

You're on your own with the 686.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,338 Senior Member
    I've got like a $15.00 nylon Bulldog holster that works fine for a full sized Glock. Even has a spare mag pouch.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Yeah it's a commander size. 4" CDP II.

And I never would've guessed eBay. I thought they deleted anything related to guns. Off to check.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,836 Senior Member
    Buffy, do you like the hybrids like the chrisbreed>?
    If you do check out Alien Gear IWB holsters. They are inexpensive. I ordered one for my Shield and it took 6 weeks to get here and just arrived today. I like it a lot after wearing it since I got home and will be ordering one for my Commander soon.
    I'm giving it a few days and will do a range report.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 719 Senior Member
    Can't help you with any CCW holsters but for the 1911 for hunting why not just an old milsurp flap holster, used to see old canvas Webley holsters In the disposals stores here all the time, can imagine you would have a much better selection and they'd likely be fairly cheap, even for a repro. I hate buying accessories too, so I know you pain :beer:
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,854 Senior Member
    1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.gif

If you just want a field carry holster that will keep the gun "not in my hand" and in a general region of "near my belt line", then any one of the Uncle Mikes-ish one-size-fits-none nylon sausage sacks will probably do that for you.

But we need to have a conversation about getting you a good concealment rig that works for you.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Buffy, do you like the hybrids like the chrisbreed>?
    If you do check out Alien Gear IWB holsters. They are inexpensive. I ordered one for my Shield and it took 6 weeks to get here and just arrived today. I like it a lot after wearing it since I got home and will be ordering one for my Commander soon.
    I'm giving it a few days and will do a range report.
    I really don't know. I hate the look of pancake holsters. Gene, the Askins Avenger looks good. And thanks Joe for recommending eBay. It seems it's 99% dealers selling them. Watching a couple of used sellers though.

Problem is I've been trying to kill two birds with one stone with the tuckable holster. I use it hunting and for concealed carry. And it sucks for both.

A change in my carry piece is going to have to occur. I tuck my shirt for my job and as a consequence, I usually tuck on the weekend too. Old habits.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    1b2157e533492e78297c16e6cbe1dfceb91d191.gif

If you just want a field carry holster that will keep the gun "not in my hand" and in a general region of "near my belt line", then any one of the Uncle Mikes-ish one-size-fits-none nylon sausage sacks will probably do that for you.

Way to sell me on the concept. :tooth:

I hate those holsters. And understand I'm trying to get away from a one holster for every occasion. I'd like a field carry piece, and we can discuss the issue below at some point:
    But we need to have a conversation about getting you a good concealment rig that works for you.

What do you suggest for a company man that wears khakis and polo shirts that must be tucked at all times?
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,836 Senior Member
    Ever try a nice buttondown shirt that you dont tuck?

Think Cubavera style shirts
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Way to sell me on the concept. :tooth:

I hate those holsters. And understand I'm trying to get away from a one holster for every occasion. I'd like a field carry piece, and we can discuss the issue below at some point:

What do you suggest for a company man that wears khakis and polo shirts that must be tucked at all times?

"Thunderwear", or its equivalent. Conceals darn near anything as long as you wear loose fitting pants. Comfortable and totally unnoticeable.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Ever try a nice buttondown shirt that you dont tuck?

Think Cubavera style shirts
    Can't. Too casual.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,252 Senior Member
    Crossbreed or Comp-Tac holster (or one similar) with khakis one to two sizes larger than your waist size, a GOOD STIFF belt, a shirt one size larger than normal, and "C" clips for the holster if you need them.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,810 Senior Member
    For the 686 and hunting a bianchi cyclone
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,446 Senior Member
    For the 1911, the Galco Avenger is worth every penny.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/galco-avenger-belt-holster-av266-av425b.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,854 Senior Member
    khakis one to two sizes larger than your waist size, a GOOD STIFF belt, a shirt one size larger than normal,

This is KEY. You have to dress around it. And the belt is crucial- I make the analogy all the time that the belt is to concealed carry as tires are to a sports car. You do not expect a Corvette to perform worth a damn with $40 Walmart tires on it... and a CCW rig will not perform without a good belt. Before you toss that High Noon (great holster BTW), go spend $40 on a good stiff, purpose built belt and a pair of pants sized to accommodate the extra gear in your pants (LOL), and try it.

And try the Alien Gear holster rig. They now offer an inside/ outside combo that will probably help you with CCW and field carry:
    http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/alien-gear-products/alien-gear-concealed-carry-combo-holster.html/
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I hate the look of pancake holsters.

Never mind.....
    I think I'm going to go with the Askins Avenger for the 1911 and the Bianchi Cyclone for the 686. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I think I'm going to go with the Askins Avenger for the 1911 and the Bianchi Cyclone for the 686. Thanks for the suggestions.

What the others said about a good belt is true. A crappy holster will usually still work if it's hanging on a rock solid belt, but even the best holster in the world is going to drive you crazy, flopping around on a flimsy piece of leather.

My personal favorite are the gunbelts made by Armour Belts, I know the owners (belonged to the uncle, he passed the company down to his nephew) from another forum, these things are ROCK SOLID. To the point that they need a few months to break in, but after that, they'll probably last you the rest of your life.

http://www.armourbelts.com/armourbelts/belts
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I've found very economical holsters and other gear on "Uncle Mike's" site. Not maybe the best in hand-tooled leather and so on, but decent quality synthetic holsters. They work fine, big inventory too.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,002 Senior Member
    I used to think Uncle Mike holsters were the cats meow; but, the plastic piece with the belt slots breaks when you need the holster the most.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    When it comes to Uncle Mikes holsters, I have to recall my Mothers advice of "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"
    When it comes to Uncle Mikes holsters, I have to recall my Mothers advice of "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

:that:

Their pocket holsters are adequate. They aren't as good as a Desantis Nemesis, Remora, or Sticky holster.........but you can pick one up in most gun stores for about ten bucks, and you can get by with it until the real holster that you ordered arrives in your mailbox.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member

The specific thread title was "Cheap Holsters" -- I have no illusions about UM's being top of the line but they're what I'd call "reasonable" in that they "work okay" and aren't expensive. First rate and pricey holsters wasn't the query.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    OWB, shirt untucked and be done with it. I love the Bareskin highnoon holsters and have several of them.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Bare_Skin/bare_skin.html
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    The specific thread title was "Cheap Holsters" -- I have no illusions about UM's being top of the line but they're what I'd call "reasonable" in that they "work okay" and aren't expensive.

Carried for quite a few years using an Uncle Mikes nylon sack, have you?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,252 Senior Member
    I've got a few Uncle Mike's holsters. They're good for keeping a handgun in to keep it from getting scratched, but that's about it. I can get a better holster that's more durable for less from the LGS.

As NN has said, the plastic belt slides tend to fall apart, plus the retention strap's not the best design. Were I to have to buy a nylon holster I'd go with an Ace, Bulldog, Blackhawk!, or Elite Survival Systems holster.
    Overkill is underrated.