Marlin collection grows again...

JeeperJeeper Senior MemberPosts: 2,952 Senior Member
Just acquired a near pristine 2001 Marlin 1894cp (.357 Mag w/16.25" Ported Barrel, JM manufacture of course). The quality of craftsmanship on this one rivals my 1894P (same thing in .44 mag). Wood to metal fit and finish is excellent. Here's a teaser until I have the time to take some proper photos.

Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,533 Senior Member
    Very nice, Congrats on your addition.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Outstanding! I've thought of getting one to match my .44 as well.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    I am always looking for one at a gun show, but I always end up choking on my spit when I see the price, nice find, I like the knife also.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    I have a 1894 in .44 Mag as well, made in 1976. It's a very accurate rifle and handy as well. I love those pre-safety Marlins.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like the rifle. I dont like you though, quit hogging all the Marlins.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    You can't go wrong with a pre merge Marlin.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    nice.... very nice!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I have a 1894 in .44 Mag as well, made in 1976. It's a very accurate rifle and handy as well. I love those pre-safety Marlins.

The only thing that pisses me off about a safety on one is it just adds to the price. It's useless and only gun people understand this. But we have to Jenuflect and bow down to those idiot proofers out there. Like the old man at work used to tell me, "Just Kill the Idiot! Don't make the whole world stop because of his stupidity!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    Very nice
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,215 Senior Member
    Just what exactly do you mean by "JM manufacture"? Thanks.
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Just acquired a near pristine 2001 Marlin 1894cp (.357 Mag w/16.25" Ported Barrel, JM manufacture of course). The quality of craftsmanship on this one rivals my 1894P (same thing in .44 mag). Wood to metal fit and finish is excellent. Here's a teaser until I have the time to take some proper photos.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,668 Senior Member
    Nice score!

Two questions- Why port a .357 carbine, and tell me more about that blade!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,248 Senior Member
    Very nice. Made the mistake of letting a friend talk me out of mine some years ago:bang: Who knew they were going to dry up and be worth what they are today.

Sako
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Man! You're Sucking Large Time! I want one in either 45 Long Colt or 44 MAG. with a nice Super Black Hawk to match.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Nice score!

Two questions- Why port a .357 carbine, and tell me more about that blade!

I assume it's for CAS and timed shooting at targets. But that's pure assumption, never been to a CAS match. I can't think of any other reason to port a .357/.38.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    There is no real reason to port either a .357 or a .44 IMO, but Marlin did a limited run of several calibers (.45-70, .44 Mag, .357 Mag for sure, there may be others, but I haven't seen them) back around '99-'01.

I bought a 45-70 first, and fell in love with the handy compact length (18" barrel on that), then a couple years later missed a KILLER price on an 1894P (.44 mag), but fell in love with the ultra short length (16.25" barrel), and wound up hunting one down a year or so later.

Naturally, I had to have a .357 to go with the other two to complete my little collection. I picked up an 1894S (16.25" barrel, but not ported) in .45 Colt just a couple months ago. So now I have .357, .44, .45Colt, and .45-70.

For those who do not know already, when Remington acquired Marlin and moved the plant from Connecticut they did not keep most (any?) of the skilled craftsmen who were making Marlins and knew what they were doing. Needless to say, quality sufferred. Still does. Marlin enthusiasts will look over a "Remlin" VERY VERY carefully before buying one. The older guns (stamped JM for the plant they were made in) have SOARED in value. Collectibles (like the few I own) will usually fetch astronomical prices on Gunbroker.

Oh yeah... the knife... that is a one-off custom made by a friend of mine on the Quadratec Jeep forum to my own specs out of a piece of high carbon steel when he (Piney is his forum name) was getting started into knife making. It is very slim (1/8" steel), razor sharp, and sharpened both sides near the tip. I carry it occasionally when the mood strikes me. I have NO doubt it would be very deadly if used in self defense.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    :drool2:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,837 Senior Member
    Well done!...Nice grab....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ddrillerddriller Member Posts: 77 Member
    They offered a ported 444 with 18"barrel called the outfitter, I have 1 of those, recently picked up a 336 in 30-30, and was just given a 1984 in 41 mag. You can have your ARs ,I like the feel of a lever gun.
    sherwood wrote: »
    Just what exactly do you mean by "JM manufacture"? Thanks.

JM on the barrel is the trademark of Marlins before they switched over to Remington. Folks make a lot out of a JM stamped barrel, but you go by the serial number and you'll know when it was made. The stamp is sometimes missing or hard to find. I've not checked on either of my Marlins for the stamp, I know they were both made in 1976 by the serial number. It may be important on the safety-equipped Marlins, I wouldn't know about that. I don't know when Remington took them over. You can generally tell the Remlins by the lower quality of wood-to-metal fit, and of course, the serial number. Remlins are getting better as their experience grows and in response to a lot of criticism. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a Remlin where the bullseye on the stock was drilled a little off to one side. It stuck out like a sore thumb.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • ddrillerddriller Member Posts: 77 Member
    The first ones from Remington stuck out by being so bad-the finish was matte or parkerized and the wood looked like plastic-bulbous and dyed some shade of brick red. That's when I started looking in used gun areas for good examples of Marlins and Winchesters, now the prices are going up