Good way to start gaining credit.......

jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior MemberPosts: 9,599 Senior Member
As part of the plan my wife and I have to downsize when the kids are adults, my oldest stepson wants to buy the house we have now. He will have his journeymans card for a year or two by then, and he already has a big chunk saved for a down payment (1/3 of the way there). So, I had an idea to start him gaining a credit score.

Large gun shop an hour from here had a scratch and dent sale on safes. They also have 12 months same as cash thru a national bank. We went up and looked them over. Was looking at a Liberty at first. Well, it turns out they were also having a clearance sale on all Heritage safes. Found one he liked even better and it is a really nice safe. 3/8'' solid steel plate on the door, 75 minute fire rating, lifetime warranty on the whole thing including the lock, and it will be brand new in the box. Not a scratch and dent.

No pic yet, it will be delivered next Friday. Here is a couple pic I found online that are exactly like it................

IMG_0763_zps2cd2fae7.jpg5961e58c-4fc8-45f7-859d-8eec57849cd6_zps0989b174.jpg?t=1406856972
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Replies

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,511 Senior Member
    Nice looking safe! Good on ya.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,750 Senior Member
    Looks good and a way to get credit started
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    If he's buying the house doesn't your safe, and possibly its contents, convey with the property? So isn't he really buying you a nice safe?
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    Rimfire wrote: »
    If he's buying the house doesn't your safe, and possibly its contents, convey with the property? So isn't he really buying you a nice safe?

I already have a safe....... but not nearly as nice!

His is going into the family room in the basement and will be bolted to the slab. Unfortunately, I will have to take out the (24") door and the door frame for it to fit.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Movers delivered it this morning. Just got the door back on his room that I had to take out frame and all to get the safe in. There were three guys who delivered it. One my size and two BMF's. I think the one guy could have carried it in by himself........

DSC01762_zpsc95d5b52.jpg?t=1407515910DSC01763_zps740ea1bd.jpg?t=1407515895

Yes, his room has awesome decor!!!!

DSC01764_zps0c914e04.jpg?t=1407515870
    Getting a Hilti drill off my brother later today to drill for the anchors........
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,351 Senior Member
    You can put the kid on one of your charge cards as an "authorized user" (and not give them the card) to piggy back them on your own good credit and help them establish a credit history, but I like your idea better.
  • RimfireRimfire Senior Member Posts: 807 Senior Member
    The safe is nice. The decor not so much. It could use more blue and gold.
    G&A Forum Member since: October 2000; Life Member: GOA, IWLA, NRA, & Escapees.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,081 Senior Member
    That would be UCLA blue and gold...right
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison