Home Main Category Hunting

Target shotshells for squirrel & rabbits?

N320AWN320AW Senior MemberPosts: 648 Senior Member
I have 4 cases of Federal paper Gold Medal (#7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz.) loads.

Other than the smaller pellets, (I usually use #4's) does anyone have any information as to how these loads will stack up to the normal hunting loads? The target pellets are harder than the regular chilled shot. I am wondering about the pellet deformation with this harder shot.

Thanks.

Replies

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,424 Senior Member
    i-may-have-alzheimers-but-at-least-i-dont-have-alzheimers-thumb.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    Federal paper Gold Medal (#7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz.) loads.

They will work fine for doves, quail, rabbits, other small game birds and will kill a squirrel---though my experience with squirrels is that at shorter ranges you will get too
    much lead in the squirrel and at longer ranges too many squirrels will get in a hole before they die.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    People are allowed to have CRS

Please remind me what CRS stands for. I can't remember shiite these days. :uhm:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    They will work fine for all small game. Those #7 1/2 pellets are marginally small for squirrels, squirrels have tough hides and are tenacious of life. You will be fine if you keep your shots within 20 to 25 yards. Even still, I prefer 4's, 5's or 6's for squirrels, I like 4's. Now, most of my squirrels fall to my .32 caliber muzzle loader or .22LR. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,601 Senior Member
    Personally, I wouldn't chance a paper shell on a hunting trip. Jam your gun out in the field.
    I'd go shoot a whole bunch of clays, skeet, trap, etc. And spend $7 and buy a box of #6 small game loads for hunting.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't chance a paper shell on a hunting trip. Jam your gun out in the field.
    I'd go shoot a whole bunch of clays, skeet, trap, etc. And spend $7 and buy a box of #6 small game loads for hunting.

What jbohio says here I have to agree with. But not so much because of the shells being made of paper. (It's against the law on this forum to fully agree with anybody, and that's the real reason God created the .270 Winchester, :jester:). The only time I had problems with paper swelling and jamming my gun was when it got wet. Then the shells would swell. They would more times than not cause a jam even in my old single shot Savage Long Tom. They would slip in the barrel before being shot (sometimes you had to give them a little assistance going in), but once shot they would expand that little bit and wouldn't eject when the action was opened. But when they were dry they're fine.

When I was a kid my dad had a whole drawer full of assorted paper shells that had never been wet and were at least 15-20 years old and as long as I didn't subject them to moisture they shot fine. Back then when I was 12-14 years old I had no money and these were my only access to ammo.

But other than the outside being paper there are still a couple of problems with your shells. One is paper shells have cardboard wads, not not power piston wads and they don't pattern as well as those with a plastic power piston. That Power piston gives the shot a buffer between the hard steel of the gun barrel and lessens their deformation going down the barrel, which improves the pattern somewhat, making them effective to a longer range. But that's still a secondary problem.

The main problem with your particular paper shot shells is what Ned already said. 7 1/2s suck for squirrels because there's just too many shot in a pattern for animals the size of squirrels. You will ruin a lot of meat with those things. Besides, 7 1/2s are for small flying objects. LIke jbohio says, go kill some clay birds with them and go to Wally World and buy a box of good number 6s or 5s if you can find them, for the squirrels. Clay birds don't taste very good anyway, so you won't miss the meat you destroy,

:silly: :roll2: :rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    High brass 7 1/2 shells are dove loads. They will blow right through a rabbit without much shock power and it will run a hundred yards before it dies of blood loss. For jump-shooting rabbits I like #8 low brass shells, and #6 field loads for rabbits running ahead of beagles. The shot is too small for squirrels- - - - -I prefer #5 shot for most of my squirrel hunting. The only factory shotshells I use any more are max load 3" turkey shells with 2 ounces of #5 shot- - - -makes a gobbler DRT out to about 50 yards or so. I handload all the other shotshells I use.
    Jerry
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Like Teach, I load all of my 12ga and 20ga hulls, and I have 8's, 6's, 5's and 4's to choose from. I don't have a 28ga, (on my wish list), and the only loaded shells I buy are .410's. Why do .410's cost more than 12ga shells? My only other shotgun is a 20ga SBS muzzle loader. Keep yer powder dry......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    High brass 7 1/2 shells are dove loads. They will blow right through a rabbit without much shock power and it will run a hundred yards before it dies of blood loss. For jump-shooting rabbits I like #8 low brass shells, and #6 field loads for rabbits running ahead of beagles. The shot is too small for squirrels- - - - -I prefer #5 shot for most of my squirrel hunting.
    Jerry

I don't follow your logic here. You say #7.5 shot is no good for rabbits, but #8 shot IS? No rabbit is going to be able to tell the difference in receiving a butt-load of #7.5 or #8's! I personally have always used #4's for both squirrel and rabbit. Never had to take a second shot whatsoever. Also I have hardly ever seen a squirrel that was larger than a pan sized rabbit. Please explain. Our tree rat season starts here August 15. Maybe I'll just go out with my 22 LR and be done with it!:wink:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    I can't give you any science to support it, but I have tried #8 on doves, using the same reasoning, and was very disappointed in the results - 7-1/2 just seems to be the dividing line.

When I have used a shotgun for squirrels, high brass #6 seemed to work fine for all but those big old tough fox squirrels that probably really needed buckshot.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    They will work fine for all small game. Those #7 1/2 pellets are marginally small for squirrels, squirrels have tough hides and are tenacious of life. You will be fine if you keep your shots within 20 to 25 yards. Even still, I prefer 4's, 5's or 6's for squirrels, I like 4's. Now, most of my squirrels fall to my .32 caliber muzzle loader or .22LR. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin[/QUOTE

The relatively few times I've seriously squirrel hunted (Maybe 20-30 times) I found that 4s did the trick rather nicely.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    N320AW wrote: »
    I don't follow your logic here. You say #7.5 shot is no good for rabbits, but #8 shot IS?

Reading is fundamental, but since you're being deliberately obtuse like usual I'll spell it out. #7 1/2 dove load shells use hard chilled shot with a heavy powder charge. #8 shells use soft dropped shot that deforms more easily, and more importantly, field-load shells carry a much lower powder charge. Jump-shooting rabbits up close needs a relatively open choke, Improved Cylinder or so, and moderate velocity for lots of shock power. High brass shells blow the shot right through with little shock effect and the rabbit has to bleed out before it knows it's dead. I use a tighter choke and field-load #6 shot if we're running dogs and the shots are longer.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Reading is fundamental, but since you're being deliberately obtuse like usual I'll spell it out. #7 1/2 dove load shells use hard chilled shot with a heavy powder charge. #8 shells use soft dropped shot that deforms more easily, and more importantly, field-load shells carry a much lower powder charge. Jump-shooting rabbits up close needs a relatively open choke, Improved Cylinder or so, and moderate velocity for lots of shock power. High brass shells blow the shot right through with little shock effect and the rabbit has to bleed out before it knows it's dead. I use a tighter choke and field-load #6 shot if we're running dogs and the shots are longer.
    Jerry

I totally disagree with everything you said. Including me being obtuse! If I didn't know any better (and I don't) I'd say your thought patterns have been altered in some way!

Let me get this straight: You say #7.5 shot is HARDER than #8's? What? Wow! You better contact Winchester, Remington, and Federal about this. Obviously they have no idea what they are manufacturing, but maybe you can get them to standardize their lead/alloy content to your standards.

Also, why are you talking about powder charges and chokes? I did not include this in my question. So what? Maybe YOU should start a thread about whatever you are talking about!!!!!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I have 4 cases of Federal paper Gold Medal (#7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz.) loads.

Other than the smaller pellets, (I usually use #4's) does anyone have any information as to how these loads will stack up to the normal hunting loads? The target pellets are harder than the regular chilled shot. I am wondering about the pellet deformation with this harder shot.

Thanks.
    I totally disagree with everything you said. Including me being obtuse! If I didn't know any better (and I don't) I'd say your thought patterns have been altered in some way!

Let me get this straight: You say #7.5 shot is HARDER than #8's? What? Wow! You better contact Winchester, Remington, and Federal about this. Obviously they have no idea what they are manufacturing, but maybe you can get them to standardize their lead/alloy content to your standards.

Also, why are you talking about powder charges and chokes? I did not include this in my question. So what? Maybe YOU should start a thread about whatever you are talking about!!!!!

You answered your own question. Target loads have harder shot than cheapo 100rd bulk packs. Now you throw a fit when someone says the same thing? If you are comparing #8 target loads to #7.5 targets loads then yes the shot is the same alloy and treated the same way.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    You answered your own question. Target loads have harder shot than cheapo 100rd bulk packs. Now you throw a fit when someone says the same thing? If you are comparing #8 target loads to #7.5 targets loads then yes the shot is the same alloy and treated the same way.

I'd suggest you re-read my original question. I said that target shot is harder than normal chilled shot. The question was about the PERFORMANCE of hard shot on game. Duh!!!
    Consider the source- - - - -not worth wasting any more time or effrort on a reply. "Pearls before swine", etc,!
    Jerry
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Maybe I can be told to sit in the corner when I post a link back to this thread? Oh please!
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    My take on this subject..........If I shoot more than one critter with a certain size shot and they don't die.......I get bigger shot.

Were talking rabbits and tree rats not lions and bears. Target loads or field loads matter not one bit to the animal.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    ......... shoot more than one critter with a certain size shot and they don't die....... get bigger shot.

That is my take on it