Muzzle flash for SD ammo

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,089 Senior Member
Didn't someone post pics of muzzle flash for SD ammo a couple of years ago? Might be a time to revisit as "night blindness" can seriously affect your ability to see your target....

Replies

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Didn't someone post pics of muzzle flash for SD ammo a couple of years ago? Might be a time to revisit as "night blindness" can seriously affect your ability to see your target....

I don't know if night blindness is an accurate description, but many pistol loads will create an offensive flash on firing. Obviously short barreled guns cause the greater problem. Take the short barreled 357 magnums. Here you have a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. To get max performance from this cartridge slow burning powders are indicated, but the slow burners will not completely combust in a 2-3 inch combustion chamber (barrel). Try a load of H110/WW296 in a 357 at night and watch the fireworks! Yes it is a problem.

BTW. Anyone carrying a pistol at night, for SD, better have nights sights. I did this for 2 years, without them, and it took me that long to realize I was really screwing up!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Many modern defensive loads minimize this. Also using a full sized gun helps. A weapon light also pretty much eliminates the issue.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    pjames777 wrote: »

It wouldn't be much of a problem if you made the first shot count.