Home Main Category Hunting

Squirrel hunting question.

maestrorrmaestrorr New MemberPosts: 2 New Member
I'm thinking of taking my boys squirrel hunting this year. What do you do with dead squirrel? We eat the deer we hunt but pretty sure I don't want to eat the squirrel unless things get bad. Do you just leave them in the woods or is there a proper thing to do?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,098 Senior Member
    Proper thing is to eat a viable resource. Considering there are seasons and bag limits for them in most locals. They are considered small game in most states with hunt able populations.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,395 Senior Member
    And they taste great. Par-boil them to tenderize, then flour and fry them in oil. Lots of recipes on the menu pages. I wouldn't waste them by leaving them in the woods.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    I eat every one I get.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    We always boiled them, then deboned and cooked them in white grave and dumplings. Yum-Yum!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    If you aren't going to use them then leave them alone, not sure what mindless killing for the sake of of it teaches boys.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,540 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    And they taste great. Par-boil them to tenderize, then flour and fry them in oil. Lots of recipes on the menu pages. I wouldn't waste them by leaving them in the woods.

This, or, after doing the above, cook them down in browned flour gravy and serve with biscuits.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Pressure cook the old, tough ones and make a batch of squirrel and dumplings with the deboned meat. Better by far than chicken & dumplings!
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,675 Senior Member
    By all appearances, you live in Tennessee...Red, Fox and Gray Squirrels are classed as small game in your state. There are also Wanton Waste laws in Tennessee that prohibit leaving game animals to rot.

For your convenience, here is a link to your states game laws
    http://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife.html

Bottom line...these critters weren't put there for target practice or for your (or your kids) amusement.

Now that the butt chewing is over: Do the responsible thing and treat yourself and your kids to something different and a really excellent meal...squirrel is great eats.

Back in the day we used to sell the tails to Mepps (they used them to make their spinners)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 491 Member
    Some of the best meat around, when cooked in any version of the above.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Back in the day we used to sell the tails to Mepps (they used them to make their spinners)

Just drove by their (tiny) operation last Sunday morning - (Antigo, WI) they will still buy any number of tails you can deliver to them. Or trade for their lures. Check it out:

http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/
    Here's the bare bones of a great recipe, from memory. Par boil the squirrel legs, which is about all there is to a squirrel for 45 minutes to an hour, take them out and dry them, flour them well with seasoned flour, brown them in hot grease, pour in enough chicken stock to almost cover them, cook them, covered, until tender. The flour will make a gravy, and about ten minutes before serving them, pour in about 1/4 cup of bourbon and let the alcohol cook off, serve either with biscuits or with rice. Great flavor from the whiskey.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »
    Some of the best meat around, when cooked in any version of the above.

Just drove by their (tiny) operation last Sunday morning - (Antigo, WI) they will still buy any number of tails you can deliver to them. Or trade for their lures. Check it out:

http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/

That's just about the handiest link posted in a while. Thanks
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    As long as your taking the boys hunting, go all the way and teach them how to skin, clean and cook them. Don't let them go to waste.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    If you aren't going to use them then leave them alone, not sure what mindless killing for the sake of of it teaches boys.

They are shot on sight at my house and most of the time left. Tree rats are home damaging vermin!
    Pigs are treated the same way around here, eat what you can and leave the rest for the song dogs cause they gotta eat too.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member

If it's a game animal with bag limits and seasons? Shoot it and throwing it away is probably illegal. Squirrels are tasty critters, Tim's recipe sounds great. I usually quarter them, boil them and debone and use the broth & meat for a stew.
    ****, now I'm hungry!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,098 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    They are shot on sight at my house and most of the time left. Tree rats are home damaging vermin!
    Pigs are treated the same way around here, eat what you can and leave the rest for the song dogs cause they gotta eat too.

Shame. A waste on both counts.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Only squirrel I'll leave in the woods is one with a bot fly larva in it.
    I usually start hunting squirrels after Thanksgiving, and hunt them until the season closes in Feb.
    Boil, debone, and bread and fry, or boil, debone, and make gravy with the squirrel meat in the pan, and bake some biscuits at the same time. Good eating!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Shame. A waste on both counts.

I'd think a company that made leather out of those hogs could do well in Texas ?

Sausage too......LOL
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    I'd have to be pretty hungry before I'd eat a bushy tailed rat.

But you got to be careful about fallowing game laws. There is a youtuber in Pennsylvania that videoed himself skinning and cooking a problem squirrel that had been damaging his house. It got him a visit from a game warden and a fine for taking game out of season without a license.
    You should try them, they're delicious.

How did the game warden know the guy was shooting squirrels at his house? Did he come upon the guy shooting them?
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    He was tipped off about the video.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Man! The only thing a squirrel has in common with rat is that they're in the rodent family. That's where the similarities end. A squirrel is a very clean animal and usually eats stuff that makes him taste good, like nuts for one. Some of the best wild game I ever tasted was squirrel. And I like both Fox Squirrel and cat squirrel. If you shoot younger ones all you need do is fry them. Older bigger squirrels require some tenderizing, no different than an older chicken hen. But those old hens can be fantastic to eat if you do it right. Same with squirrel. I know a guy that would roll them in flour and put them in hot grease, with a high fire. He'd brown them and then cut the heat way back and cover for about 10 minutes. Then he'd crank the heat back up to drive the grease out. That made excellent tender fried squirrel. My ex mother in law, rest her soul, could fry the very best squirrel I ever ate. She would also make biscuits and gravy or sometimes mashed potatoes for the gravy. God it was good. Never sell a squirrel short.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I'd think a company that made leather out of those hogs could do well in Texas ?

Sausage too......LOL

I've thought about the sausage. I believe the leather could and may be already happening, but the sausage, wild meat might not pass muster with health department laws for sale.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 895 Senior Member
    Re: Squirrel hunting question. Originally Posted by waipapa13
    originally posted by Shootbrownelk If it's a game animal with bag limits and seasons? Shoot it and throwing it away is probably illegal. Squirrels are tasty critters,

Not sure how you got me encouraging wanton waste from that.
    Weatherby wrote: »

Sausage too......LOL

We used to donate all out pigs to a group foster home in Devine, Texas but the state stepped in and was nice enough to say only USDA meat could be used so that ended that. Now what we don't need we leave for the youtes. Ranch owner has strict rules on killing every pig we see, been trying it for years but we don't seem to be doing any good on reducing the population.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,544 Senior Member
    Ask around your neighborhood, work, church, etc to see if someone would like to have the squirrels you harvest. You might find an older person or two, who are not able to hunt, that would like to have a few squirrels.

I doubt it's illegal to give the meat away. But, I'd check the game laws first.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    If you are teaching your boys to hunt, you need to teach them the whole deal. My grandsons have been making one shot rifle kills and processing and eating what they kill since they were 6 years old. They still use shoguns for squirrels and ducks, so there are inevitably going to be some that are just wounded and get away, but they do their best...and they love eating what they kill.

It is a big responsibility to teach a kid to shoot and hunt ethically, and goes a long way toward helping them mature into good citizens.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Not sure how you got me encouraging wanton waste from that.

I for one was not. I agree with you, I meant to address the OP.
    tennmike wrote: »
    Only squirrel I'll leave in the woods is one with a bot fly larva in it.
    I usually start hunting squirrels after Thanksgiving, and hunt them until the season closes in Feb.
    Boil, debone, and bread and fry, or boil, debone, and make gravy with the squirrel meat in the pan, and bake some biscuits at the same time. Good eating!

I won't eat a squirrel with a "wolf" in it, either, although they're only skin deep. The rule of thumb we went by was all the larvae were gone after the first frost.

Squirrel and grits is good, too, but not a food of my childhood. We never had grits for some reason as a kid.

I like grits, though, and have had stewed squirrel with grits only once. Good, but not exceptionally good. The heads are cooked whole, although we used to shoot them in the head which ruined the brains, which are said to be great.
    Threads like this one are the best of this forum. We all haggle and argue about our different firearms and loads, but when it comes to eating what we kill I haven't seen much arguing about recipes here and suspect if you try even half what you read here you're going to have some good eating.