Wifes new sd gun

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,603 Senior Member
Picked it up this morning, Charter Arms .357 snub nose. She liked the feel of my .44 Bulldog but couldn't handle the recoil, I'm gonna start her out with lightest .38 loads and let her work up thru the .357.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I have an old Charter Arms .38 Off Duty, and it's a nice little gun. The recoil can be snappy with the lightweight frame, but it's reliable and accurate to MOBG.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Charter Arms revolvers, especially the early Stratford models, are the best unkept secret in SD/HD handguns.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I used to own a Charter .357, very nice wheelgun, reliable and accurate enough to matter.

Don't forget to post a pic or you'll owe horse $5.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    I like the idea of some of the Charter offerings; though the recoil can be a little much with some loads.

Esp .44 spl from a guy in Fl
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,946 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I like the idea of some of the Charter offerings; though the recoil can be a little much with some loads.

I always wanted the old Bull Dog. I think it was a 44 Special. They've been around so long I think Moses carried one.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,603 Senior Member

And who might that be ?

JAY
    snake284 wrote: »
    . They've been around so long I think Moses carried one.

I had one that I inherited from my uncle, it was made in the late 60s, my daughter now carries it as her CW.

JAY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I own an older Off Duty CA 5 shot .38, good little revolvers.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,370 Senior Member
    I always wanted the old Bull Dog. I think it was a 44 Special. They've been around so long I think Moses carried one.

The .44 Bulldog was the weapon used by David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam murderer. I've shot one back when, and the recoil was noticeable. The Bulldog was a light handgun, which added to the felt recoil.

They're great revolvers and in demand now.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,999 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    And who might that be ?

JAY
    Never shot any of yours if you reload; let the who be able to see this and complain of profiling as he always does on this subject
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Never shot any of yours if you reload;

I reload for everything I own, for the .44spc, 240gr JHP / 12.5gr H 110, & 180gr XTP / 17gr. H 110. I'm getting set up to load .38/.357

If your ever down this way, your more than welcome to bust more than a few caps.

JAY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Here is my CA, been well used and I gave a feller 70-80 bucks fer it several years ago. S&Ws are grandads .38 (1945-1950?) and model 14 with underlug.

I do like the "Swollen" wood grips on the CA, allows a much better hold on it. The one I had in the 80s had tiny grips and would twist in my hand.

s898.photobucket.com/user/38cal/media/marksblackberry141.jpg.html]marksblackberry141.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,838 Senior Member

I have one. Great little blaster. Not much bigger than a J Frame, and a .44. What's not to like?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    Never shot any of yours if you reload; let the who be able to see this and complain of profiling as he always does on this subject

Want some cheese with that Ned?

The load that Ned is whining about is 7.7gr of unique which moves a cast 200gr RNFP at 830fps. I carry the Hornady 180gr XTP's in mine and that particular handload replicates the same recoil and hits to the same point of aim as the Hornady ammo at a fraction of the cost. Consequently I can practice a lot with it pretty cheaply. I think Ned was traumatized by the pistol and he blames the load although that was the year that it was really hot and all the ammo was probably a little hotter than usual. But then Ned is getting kinda frail.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,734 Senior Member
    Jay, hows that holster treatin' ya with that bulldog? A couple of months of Florida humidity should help you determine if you still like it.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Jay, hows that holster treatin' ya with that bulldog? A couple of months of Florida humidity should help you determine if you still like it.

Its great, and comfortable, I wear it OWB with the belt around the front, being real skinny it holds the rig closer to my body, but doesn't interfere with drawing the pistol, it comes out quick and smooth.

Only thing wrong is its made in Mexico.

JAY