Home Main Category Hunting

Heading out for a hunt tomorrow.

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,177 Senior Member
Once again this year I missed out on a ballot................but my hunting buddy GB scored in the draw so he invited me to go as one of his companion hunters.

So far this year I have spent every second weekend in the forest on patrol so it will be a change to get out and see if I can fill my freezer.
Will be taking the T3 Lite 7mm08. I took it up to the range a couple of weeks ago to check the zero with the 120gr Sierra's............It was windy and my shooting skills must have been left at home as the best group resembled a pattern. (200m)

I decided I would have to take the 222................until I realised that I had this afternoon free. So I grab the T3 and head up to the range at 2pm today.
Conditions were not ideal with a 15-20knt gusty wind quartering towards me from my right. Had some work to do on the suppressor ( the tyres needed rearranging) and it wasn't till 4pm that the wind seemed to drop. I decided to start at the 200m target. The first three shots were low and gave me an approx. group of 2". I adjusted the scope one click up and the next group was about 1.2" as the wind continued to drop. I then adj 1 click left and waited for the wind to drop a bit more. It started to cloud over and the sun was starting to set when I figured it was as good as it was going to get so I fired my 3rd group.

.77" at 200m. I figured from a lightweight barrelled sporter that would be good enough so all that remained was to shoot a 3 shot group at 100m to see how high it was going to be.

Sent three shots down range at the 100m target............the first 2 were 1.8" high and dead in line. The third was a flyer so I sent a 4th round downrange and packed up my gear. When I got to the 100m target I couldn't see the 4th round............until I looked closely and then realised the one of the holes was elongated.

3 shots into .47".

Now that I know the rifle is good................all I have to do is find myself a deer!!!

Here are the targets...........

7mm08120grgroup160814019_zpse21f16a7.jpg

This is the final group at 200m.......

7mm08120grgroup160814025_zps699fed14.jpg

Havent photographed the 100m target................gotta go pack my gear as its a 3.30am wakeup call.
Will post details of the hunt tomorrow night.
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've noticed high/gusty winds are often mentioned in your hunting or fishing posts. Is it always that windy there? I know it's an island so...
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,616 Senior Member
    Happy hunting my friend :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Hope you have a successful hunt!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,861 Senior Member
    Should have details by now
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Should have details by now

Yeah but I think international law forbids him telling us stuff from the future for at least 24 hours. Just send us an IM at midnight.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    I am disgusted with myself.

All that preparation and planning, the last minute trip to the range to confirm zero and to confirm confidence in the rifle, the load and my shooting........................

AND I MISSED A 35M SHOT AT A DOE THAT WAS STANDING BROADSIDE ON TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have backed off to 200m I guess............:rotflmao:

It didn't help that my early morning hunt was interrupted by having to sort out a problem with the guys on the next block. You would think they would read the damn rules. One of the hunters turned up wearing an orange Polo shirt instead of a HI VIZ Blaze orange vest. Instead of sending him back for a 6mile round trip to his car, I took him back to where I parked the jeep and loaned him a spare jacket from the patrol box.

Only saw about 7 deer, all does and they were very flighty. The one I took a shot at busted out of thick bush onto a sand track as GB and I were walking towards a spot I knew would be holding animals. It stopped in full view broadside on. I waited for GB to shoot as I saw him raise his rifle............and waited what seemed like 3 hrs for it to go bang......could see the doe getting 'antsy' and about to flee so decided to shoot. Took a hold on the centre of the shoulder and squeezed it off just as the animal jumped into the bush again. No blood, no hair no sign that the animal was hit. Spent 30mins grid searching the area until I was satisfied that it was a clean miss.

Asked GB why he didn't shoot and he said that he didn't have a round chambered. I wanted him to get a deer as he hasn't scored since he bought the 243 6 yrs ago. ( He has Parkinsons )

I spent most of the rest of the day putting him in places where he was likely to see animals but the deer werent co-operating. Late in the afternoon I set him up watching a clear area bordered by thick brush and he took a shot at a doe that was about 60m away and missed.

I sat near the block boundary on dusk watching a similar area in our block and saw 5 spikers parade past me ( Not on the permit). Expected to see a doe or buck walk out at any minute...................until the guys I had helped earlier walked up the boundary heading out and talking loudly.........The spikers scattered and didn't see a deer after that. :bang:

Had a good day despite the lack of success though, got to spend time in my favourite place walking around with a rifle.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Bad day hunting still beats a great day working.....(maybe a "great day working" is an oxymoron)
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,861 Senior Member
    At least it wasn't raining cats and dogs like here.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,616 Senior Member
    Sorry it didn't work out like you planned.
    Works out that way sometimes.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Sometimes the quarry and equipment doesn't cooperate. But at least you were out there trying. There's always next time! :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams