Home Main Category Hunting

The 6x45 kills pigs!!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 25,137 Senior Member
Who'd-a-thunk'it?

Went hog hunting last night with the 6x45 AR. The little buggars have been out maneuvering me the last couple times. But, this time I connected.

Started off in the thick brush at dusk with the Casull and could hear them all around but nothing came into the small shooting lane. So, come dark, it was time to switch gears to the open fields and roads using the 6x45 AR.

I wandered all over the ranch on foot. Walking the roads and listening, I could periodically hear pigs grunting and fighting in the brush, but nothing would come out in the open. Finally I came out of a low draw and saw a band out in a field. The grass was about knee high or so and partially obscured them. As I walked the edge of the field to get closer, I spooked one laying in the grass. He took off running and, as the grass was too tall for prone, I quickly knelt down and tried to locate him in the dark through the scope. Finding the upper half of his body above the grass as he boogied along................I gave him an unstable lead...........and pulled the trigger.

The veritable lack of recoil and muzzle rise produced by this cartridge coupled with the awesome Brownell's Muzzle Brake.................allowed me to see the impact........hear the impact........and watch him nose dive head first into the ground. I saw his head and front legs raise up above the grass a few times attempting to rise.............and in a matter of seconds........all was still.

I had guesstimated the range at the shot and later used Google Earth to compare/verify. The shot was running parallel at approximately 150-175 yards.

Feeling rather happy........I walked up to the boar. Well crap! It wasn't the POI I'd wanted...........but it worked. The bullet struck the pig just in front of his hams and just below his spine. I guess the combination of the dark/running/instability caused me to pretty much shank the shot. I ain't proud of the placement.........but, it sure dropped him like a bag of sand and killed him in a matter of a few seconds. Either way, the gun and cartridge did their job.

6x45Kill8-22-149_zpsf1a146b5.jpg

He's about an 85-90 pound boar with a pretty red spotted coat.

Loaded him up and took his home for the autopsy. Here comes the fun part..................

Impact Side
Entranceside_zpsbdb13a4a.jpg

Bullet Entrance
Entrance_zps2ed92fac.jpg

Entrance Under Skin
EntranceUnderSkin2_zps8805c348.jpg

Path Under Backstrap (notice no bloodshot meat on the Backstarp)
EntrancewithBackstrapremoved-NoBloodShot_zps19b48da5.jpg

Path Above/Through Intestines just in front of Ham
BulletPaththroughtopofintestines_zps54092640.jpg

Tear/Hole in Right side Femoral Artery (notice clotted blood in artery)
HolethroughRFemoralArterywithclottedblood1_zps8941365a.jpg

HolethroughRFemoralArterywithclottedblood3_zpscb42c8bb.jpg

Path Through Vertebra (passing bottom to top - it took out one vertebra and removed off side rib)
paththroughvertibraandremovedrib2_zps7b736427.jpg

paththroughvertibraandremovedrib1_zpsdd549afa.jpg

I was unable to find the femoral artery on the off side. It was...........GONE in the section encompassing the path of the bullet.

Exit Under Skin (left side)
Exiteunderskinwithlodgedbullet1_zps75dd19a1.jpg

I had originally thought the bullet had passed all the way through as there was a small hole and some blood on the off side. I was initially disapointed when I found the pig as there was not a substantial exit wound. I thought.........the bullet penciled through. But, upon skinning the hog..............

Bullet Lodged Under Skin
Exiteunderskinwithlodgedbullet2_zps0c4b85cd.jpg

Exiteunderskinwithlodgedbullet4_zpsfb15de8f.jpg

Exiteunderskinwithlodgedbullet3_zps586c1c78.jpg

Exiteunderskinwithlodgedbullet5_zps2f3592d4.jpg

It DID make a serious hole! Just didn't pass all the way through after hitting the spine. Either a small portion of the bullet's core exited the off side or........it pushed against the skin enough to break the skin and allow some blood to exit.

Exit Wound
Exit_zps981710d3.jpg

Off Side
Exitside_zps4b746bb4.jpg

Recovered Bullet Fragments
IMG_3163_zps631ba070.jpg

It obviously came apart, but, starting life as an 85gr Sierra HPBT-GameKing in 6mm flavor at a muzzle velocity of 2,820 fps and estimated impact velocity of 2,350 fps it did pretty good after passing through the spine and lodging against the skin.

Recovered Bullet Weight
IMG_3155_zpsd9697118.jpg

This is the second time I've used this particular bullet on game (.243 Win & 6x45 AR). Both times.........the animal dropped at the shot. I am pleased with a light for caliber bullet to perform so well.

In this case, the bullet hit the spine. Causing instant paralysis of the hind limbs. But, it also struck the on side femoral artery and obliterated the off side femoral artery. Shock came in a matter of seconds with the rapid drop in blood pressure. Death surely came in less than a minute as blood dumped into the abdominal cavity from the two major arteries. I didn't intend the POI..........but it worked as well or better than any lung shot I've ever witnessed. An almost instantaneous blood dump.

This just solidifies the fact that the femoral artery is a SERIOUS target and why I stress it's importance as a target in knife defense. It is a mother load of blood.

The cartridge did well, dropping a pig on the run at it's midline distance capability. I have no complaints and look forward to taking many more.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Another outstanding job and report.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,137 Senior Member
    The only meat loss was both tenderloins. They were pretty much toast. At least, the back half of both and there ain't enough of them to start with. Both backstraps and hams were perfectly fine.
    cpj wrote: »
    Too bad the 6x45 doesn't have enough umphh to kill at distance.

Yeah. Rather anemic if you ask me.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,417 Senior Member
    Nice job! Excellent report, as usual....thanks! Gives me yet another idea for a new AR build...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Too bad the 6x45 doesn't have enough umphh to kill at distance.

I think that was aimed at me... I simply wanted a .243 over a 6mm x 45.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Zee your reports do not help keep me out of trouble with the wife. She will find my next build sheet and be mad then I will be forced to throw you (Zee) straight under the bus.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Great job.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Thanks! Glad I could enable. You can blame everything on me. Just don't tell your wife where I live. :jester:
    Yes. But FPE.

FIFY.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    FIFY.
    Ha!
    Zee, excellent job as usual. This rekindled the 6x45 flame.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,299 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Ha!

hurry......

5d90242b26b9b7d4b214a758448b0d82_zps64253835.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbohio wrote: »
    Ha!

Do it!!
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    hurry......

You are like a crack dealer.
    wpid-who-me.jpeg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    You are like a crack dealer.

That's no lie. I feel like I just got Jedi mind tricked. Or roofied.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Sometimes the shots we perceive to be our worst turn out to be our best as far as performance. I have had a few unitentional spine shots turn into amazingly fast kills. At thd end of the day, a clean kill is a clean kill. Great job and excellent assesment of the bullet performance. Those GameKings always seem to pull it off. Besides, lets be honest: when it comes to traditional cup-n-core bullets, if you catch bone, some part of the bullet is going to come apart. Some degree of this happend when my 100gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter hit the offside shoulder blade on my antelope. Just like with your pig, the only paper who would care are the marketing reps for the premium bullets who would tout this as a flaw. Last time I checked, your pig and my goat and both quite dead.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,555 Senior Member
    In this case, the bullet hit the spine. Causing instant paralysis of the hind limbs. But, it also struck the on side femoral artery and obliterated the off side femoral artery. Shock came in a matter of seconds with the rapid drop in blood pressure. Death surely came in less than a minute as blood dumped into the abdominal cavity from the two major arteries. I didn't intend the POI..........but it worked as well or better than any lung shot I've ever witnessed. An almost instantaneous blood dump.

This just solidifies the fact that the femoral artery is a SERIOUS target and why I stress it's importance as a target in knife defense. It is a mother load of blood.

Other than putting the round through his skull, it probably isn't possible to make them any deader, any faster. A heart shot would leave the pipes pressurized. Here, you've got the brain not getting oxygen and telling the heart to beat faster as result, which only speeds the leak. If yer gonna "miss", that's the miss to make.:cool2:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    If yer gonna "miss", that's the miss to make.:cool2:

And I'm very fortunate it worked out that way.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Sometimes the shots we perceive to be our worst turn out to be our best as far as performance.

While unintentional, the shot placement furthered my study of the science of death. It afforded me the opportunity to see terminal performance involving a different part of the body. And how fast death can come from a non standard hit.

It also stresses the importance on the battlefield of the rapid application of a tourniquet to an extremity when possible artery damage has occurred. You better have it on in a hurry.
    Hey, I'm just trying to......help-a-brother-out1.jpg
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,660 Senior Member
    Great story and pics.
    Good shooting in less than ideal circumstances
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Great story and pics.
    Good shooting in less than ideal circumstances

Thanks.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    So... What are your barrel specs? :tooth:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Nice write up and pics. I remember the thread where the 6x45 was discussed. It's cool to see everything come to fruition, and for the rifle to get bloodied.

Five or six years ago, I took a Texas heart shot on a fleeing pig. The bullet entered near the base of the tail, destroyed some vertebrae, and finally came to rest somewhere in the stomach. While my post-mortem wasn't as detailed as yours, now that I think about it, the cause of death must have been the same.

While heart/lung shots are preferable, at a certain point catastrophic blood loss is catastrophic blood loss, no matter where the damage occurs.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,474 Senior Member
    Congratulations on another successful hunt and once again Thanks for sharing the experience. Your detailed reports are enjoyable and informative.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member

You had to send a link with a shopping cart didn't you? lol

And FYI unless they can be had elsewhere, those Brownell's muzzle brakes have been discontinued! :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Yeah. We know. It makes us sad. However, you can get one from Northwest Precision that's similar if not better, for $57 shipped.

:that:

We have backups to our backups.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,555 Senior Member
    While unintentional, the shot placement furthered my study of the science of death. It afforded me the opportunity to see terminal performance involving a different part of the body. And how fast death can come from a non standard hit.

If museums are something you like to do, look up Body Worlds and see where and when the travelling exhibit is scheduled to be. These are the donor bodies that have been cured with plastic. Mostly human but some quadrupedal livestock and game animals. All the internal structures laid out for you in three dimensions. Best shot placement lesson you'll ever get, and it gets you out of the mindset of just placing bullets generally where you know the important stuff to be.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee