Home Main Category Hunting

Your (realistic) dream hunt?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,221 Senior Member
JerryBobCo's thread about favorite game to hunt got me to thinking (yeah, I know :roll: )
What is your "dream" hunt. I'm not talking about some complete fantasy, but one you've dreamed about that you plan on making a reality one day.

For me, it's antelope hunting with my XP-100.

This "dream" began back in the mid nineties while I was driving long haul.
I ran I-80 across Nebraska and Wyoming frequently and at times, literally, saw more antelope than I could count.

While spending hours behind the wheel, seeing speedgoats danged near everywhere, the idea of hunting them came to mind and became more and more attractive.

Once I finish nursing school, and get the "nest egg" back to a comfortable level, I WILL make a trip to the Wyoming/Montanna/Nevada area for them with my XP (I'll use a guide service)

I used to dream of elk hunting, but as I've gotten older and more and more body parts have worn out, I realistically know now, that an elk hunt isn't in the cards for me :tissue:

edited to add: While the XP will be my "primary" I'll PROBABLY have the Grendel packed away back at camp as an emergency back-up
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I've always wanted to hunt caribou in northern Canada. So, I guess that would be my dream hunt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,959 Senior Member
    Every hunt I go on is a dream hunt until I actually get up in time and really go out.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    New Zealand, with our flower peddling friend. Something up high, if possible
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    A DIY public land Pronghorn hunt in Wyoming has been at the top of my list for a long time. I want to load up the truck with plenty of camping gear and head out for about a month. I want plenty of extra time to get some sight seeing in as well as a lot of varmint and predator hunting. Gas would be the biggest and most restrictive expense and unfortunately it's not getting any cheaper.

I've got a M70 .25-06 that needs to be put to good use and now that Wyoming allows .22 centerfires my Kimber .22-250 will be waiting in the wings as backup. I'll probably throw a .243 and a couple handguns in the truck for good measure.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Bighorn sheep or mountain goats. Idaho has both species (lottery only, of course). I keep applying and keep getting denied.

There's a herd (flock?) of mt goats where I hunt mule deer. I've seen them multiple times on the rocky side of the mountain. Maybe next year.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Two weeks in New Zealand, chasing fish and deer... Alec has the life!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,241 Senior Member

Tahr. Let me know a couple of weeks before you are expected to arrive so I can set you up with the locals. There are plenty of very experienced guys that will guide you on the basis of a reciprocal hunt for Elk................and they will make you do the hard yards !!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Paul - if you really do want to go antelope hunting in a few tears, start applying for next year's draw. Don't wait. It's fairly cheap to apply and you can apply for a bonus/preference point-only. That way you have no worry about getting surprised by getting drawn before you're financially ready. This way, if you have to wait a decade or so to go, you will have mucho points toward a prime area with low tag allotment, far less pressure and better quailty bucks.

For me, it would be any species of bighorn sheep. I think I still have at least 10-15 more good hiking years left in my legs. I'm in the point pool for Washington and Nevada. Hopefully, I'll see a tag while I'm still able.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Well, there's a couple of things I'd love other than going to visit Alec. That's really a dream right now. But something that could happen before I win the LOTTO is either a duck hunt on the old Bauer Ranch down on the right side of the Port O'Connor Hiway going into Port O'Connor, between the Hiway and the Intercoastal Canal (There's pot holes all over that area and in the fall they're full of ducks), A duck hunter's paradise. Or a South Texas Deer Hunt. I'm talking down in the Black Brush between Freer and Encinal, where the racks are MEGA and their bodies are as big as any here in Texas. I guess that's always been a dream hunt for me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Tahr. Let me know a couple of weeks before you are expected to arrive so I can set you up with the locals. There are plenty of very experienced guys that will guide you on the basis of a reciprocal hunt for Elk................and they will make you do the hard yards !!

I'm good with chamois, too lol. Hunt for a hunt is easy peasy, lemon squeezy. When's the better times of the year anyways? I'm very close to being in a position to make this happen
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I'm good with chamois, too lol. Hunt for a hunt is easy peasy, lemon squeezy. When's the better times of the year anyways? I'm very close to being in a position to make this happen

If you do, you know, now this is just a friendly warning because we all really do love you here, but if you do you know up front that you will be known around here as the "MEGA SUKA!" The Superman of Vacuum! A Sucker who knows no Pier! He who's Vacuum has no EQUAL!

:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wait til you see the rigs I'd bring ;)
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,454 Senior Member

Yes this, with some fishing thrown in for good measure.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Chiro, you just reminded me of that other dream hunt I would love to do: hunt NZ with Alec and cap it off with an excursion for monster brown trout.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 890 Senior Member
    A good land cruiser and my dad, brother, a few mates, swags and beers, oh, and 2 months, destination, the top end of Australia, the gulf coast of the Northern Territory.

Feral goats, pigs, horses, water buffalo, wild dogs, cattle, donkeys, salt water crocs and about 13 species of huntable waterfowl plus awesome fishing in the billabongs and mangroves. Dad and me have wanted to see the top end since I was a kid, but as he's pushing 70 it's looking more and more unlikely, he's an Australian and I was born there, but the sheer size of the country is such that he's never been to the gulf.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I have zero interest in hunting.

That being said, I've always thought it would be cool as hell to do a suppressed/night visioned pig shoot in Texas or a long-range ground hog shoot in the Northwest.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

That being said, I've always thought it would be cool as hell to do a suppressed/night visioned pig shoot in Texas or a long-range ground hog shoot in the Northwest.

There was an outfit doing that in GA. I think it was like $1200 a hunter three hunter minimum. For like a three or four night hunt.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,761 Senior Member
    Shooting up hill, having the dead elk roll downhill, disemboweling itself on a sharp rock on the way down, and landing square in the bed of the truck.:jester:

Honestly, I get all my jollies chasing the local deer. I'd rather not deal with the production of an out-of-state or out-of-country hunt. Maybe being wealthily retired would change that attitude, but it's not something I even think about.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,994 Senior Member
    I'm to old now but I always wanted to get a blond / cinnamon colored Grizzly in Alaska, there usually called " Toklat " bears.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    African plains game. I must have a nice wart hog. Any others will be icing on the cake.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I was going to say Grizzlies in Alaska, but we've got so many of them here in Western Wyoming. It's just a matter of time when going into the backcountry fishing, that I'll probably get my chance right here...being attacked.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,790 Senior Member
    Alaska Moose and Mountain Caribou.

Who hi am I kidding? I can't afford that.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »

I've done the suppressed/NV stuff before. It's lots of fun.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    I've done the suppressed/NV stuff before. It's lots of fun.

How.......unsporting!! I'd never do that.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,654 Senior Member
    Bull elk, with the flintlock.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    How.......unsporting!! I'd never do that.

Of course not.

I only did it once. I felt so bad about it, I'm definitely not saving up to do it again. My dad and brother certainly aren't saving either.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    Of course not.

I only did it once. I felt so bad about it, I'm definitely not saving up to do it again. My dad and brother certainly aren't saving either.

Of course not.
    Zee wrote: »
    Alaska Moose and Mountain Caribou.

Who hi am I kidding? I can't afford that.

Stop buying 5 new projects a week and you could lol
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 700 Senior Member
    Mozambique for buffalo and sable.
    Stop buying 5 new projects a week and you could lol

Shut up, you!