Home Main Category Hunting

Nevada Antelope Buck Success

2»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I absolutely LOVE the smell of an antelope! It brings up childhood memories and transports me in memories to places I wish I was again.

Darn near ear the greatest smell on earth.

Has anyone ever told you that you were weird?

Silly question. Of course they have.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It was a ton of fun and truthfully, one of the easiest big game hunts I've ever experienced. The sucky part is that it will be a long time before I can draw in Nevada again. Apparently, once you score successfully on an antelope hunt, you have to wait 5 years before you can even apply again. That means I have to wait 5 years before I can even start building preference points toward another hunt, so it could easily be a decade before I can do this same hunt again.

Bottom line: if you want to hunt these critters, you need to start putting in for points NOW. Don't let another season go by without at least applying. I've got 2 point going into next year's Colorado draw, so hopefully that will happen and I can go two years in a row. If not for prior applications, I'd still be sitting on my thumbs and you will, too, if you don't get crackin'. Next year, get a hold of me, JerryBobCo or MHS and we can help you apply.

About 25 years ago a friend bought him a Ruger 77 in 338 Win Mag and went to Wyoming with another friend who had hunted there in this area several times. He said the first day out they scouted the area but didn't see much. But the next day they just drove up to where they saw a heard of antelope out about 500 yards. He said they began to walk slowly toward the heard until they got within 100 yards of a couple nice bucks. They both shot and each dropped a buck, and spent the rest of week they had allotted to hunting fishing in the various springs and creeks for Trout. He acted like it was no big deal. I know if I'd been with him we wouldn't have seen a prong horn all week within range.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,624 Senior Member
    Does western KS have antelope like western NE? I'm sure it's a tough draw, but it would be close if it's possible.

Yes, we have a speed goat season down in the Cimarron Grasslands ....I'll be dead before I draw a Kansas tag....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yes, we have a speed goat season down in the Cimarron Grasslands ....I'll be dead before I draw a Kansas tag....

Eek! Time to start puuting in for Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico or Colorado.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    One more request, Luis. I want a range report on the meat. I can see that there's a lot of sage brush in the area, which I think leads to a strong, gamey taste. However, if the goats have not been eating the sage due to the alfalfa, it may be good eating.

Also, regarding the sudden sighting of the harem, I have experienced similar occurrences. It will seem like there's no place for a jackrabbit to hide when all of the sudden there's a number of antelope in sight. And, I (and Mike) have experienced antelope appearing out of nowhere while I was field dressing one. I even recall Mike shooting a doe while I was gutting a buck I had just shot.

Even though I don't have any desire to shoot goats any more, I'm looking forward to the first week of October when Mike and I, and maybe Mosseybuck (Paul), head east and try to get a doe for Mike. Chasing goats is dang near the most fun a hunter can have with his/her pants on. It's one time of the year I really look forward to.

One more thing I meant to tell you, Jerry, regarding this buck's diet. He had spent so much time in the alfalfa that his horns were tinted green. I actually took a pic of his feet because I couldn't believe how green his fur had become from walking the fields.

IMG_2316_zps36b85ff0.jpg

Also, here are some more random antelope pics I took throughout the trip.

IMG_2311_zpsfc3b1011.jpg

IMG_2304_zps2cceff07.jpg

IMG_2300_zps4cf3e572.jpg

IMG_2305_zps3dd84a1c.jpg

IMG_2301_zps62a7f217.jpg
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,780 Senior Member
    There appears to be no shortage of goats there.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Oh, no. There was no shortage to speak of and there were plenty to go around. If you had a solid week and wanted to do nothing but wait for a killer, killer buck here, I don't think you would leave disappointed. Furthermore, if you had a doe tag you needed to fill in this unit, I think your hunt would be over in about 6 seconds.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,238 Senior Member
    Sorry I am late Luis............just got back from the forest.

Congratulations on your success. Excellent report and great pics. I am envious................one day I hope to be able to hunt Antelope............and Elk........and Mule deer...........and whiteail............and Moose...........and coyotes...........hell even a prairie dog hunt would set me all a quiver with excitement....
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Very nice antelope you've taken there. Nice long horns, good cutters and great mass below the cutters and the mass is carried above the prongs...WAY better than most. What do you guys figure he'll score B&C?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Very nice antelope you've taken there. Nice long horns, good cutters and great mass below the cutters and the mass is carried above the prongs...WAY better than most. What do you guys figure he'll score B&C?

I scored this one at 77. I measured it myself, before it had been through the 60 day drying period. Each horn went 14.5 inches, so I figure that the one Luis took should be similar. I simply used the B&C score sheet, but probably didn't get it right. But, it's good for comparison.

FrankenGoatII-Web.jpg
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Thanks again, fellas. I'm not sure what he'll score and I hear that antelope shrink worse when drying than many other animals, but I'll put the tape to him again when I get home and have a score sheet in front of me. All scores aside, I really love that goat you shot, Jerry. He looked even better in person.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    Sounds like a fun hunt, thanks for sharing your experience.
    orchidman wrote: »

Congratulations on your success. Excellent report and great pics. I am envious................one day I hope to be able to hunt Antelope............and Elk........and Mule deer...........and whiteail............and Moose...........and coyotes...........hell even a prairie dog hunt would set me all a quiver with excitement....
    Those are some great hunts, some of which I have never done and probably have no hope of drawing (moose, in particular). For someone coming from outside the country, an antelope hunt in a low pressure area or a trophy whitetail hunt are extremely realistic amd doable with some prior planning.

Also, there's another forum member I need to thank for helping make this hunt possible. Without jbohio's offer to use his backyard range, I would've been unable to get my rifle zeroed in for this trip. That was a big deal and a major favor. Thanks again, buddy!
    Wambli -

Thank you very much!

Jerry -

As promised, a range report on the meat is in order. Before I even got home, I gave a roast to a family from our old church who promptly set it up in a slow cooker with all of the veggies and fixings. They said it came out amazing.

Then I got the meat home to try for myself. Today the wife and I made up one of our favorite game meat carbonnade recipes...

IMG_2012_zpsb55ce645.jpg

It is indeed great meat. The next test will be the sausage recipe I have in mind followed by some pan seared backstrap.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,780 Senior Member
    Looks very, very nice.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    If you Google "Field & Stream venison carbonnade," it should come up if you ever want to try it. Have some of your favorite dark brown ale handy for the broth and reduce to taste.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,600 Senior Member
    Also, there's another forum member I need to thank for helping make this hunt possible. Without jbohio's offer to use his backyard range, I would've been unable to get my rifle zeroed in for this trip. That was a big deal and a major favor. Thanks again, buddy!

You're very welcome. Anytime. It was a pleasure having you here, and really nice to shoot with someone who is on the same page. Usually I have to go to TN for that.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

Elk hunt is just a well timed phone call and credit card charge buddy.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I have no comment. :tooth:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done Luis and a great write up. The .243 is one of my favorite calibers, mine is loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions.........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Thanks, Robin. This little bullet really can get things done. My buddy shot his with a .338 Win Mag in a different unit. I'd argue that mine ended up just as dead, and probably faster, all without the beating of a ubermag.
    cpj wrote: »

It's on.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Bam.

Joe, don't take no sass from him.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,449 Senior Member
    Yeah, on your forehead! A nice little doughnut.

This made me laugh.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Yeah, on your forehead! A nice little doughnut.
    See, the thing is, once you've done that a few times, you get a scar. Scar tissue seems to bleed pretty easy. So, the least little tap gets it bleeding again.
    Also, an 8lb 375H&H is no picnic off the bench. Awesome rifle, though.

Good thing I have a hard head!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    And my education continues....great work! Thanks for sharing..........I really need this.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    Well done!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

I drew a western KS tag probably close to 15 years ago, had a great hunt but really didn't know what I was doing and shot the first buck with horns and I have to say you are crazy Zee, that was the worst smelling animal I have ever come across, dead or alive!

Congrats on the hunt. That is a great looking buck. :beer:
    Thanks again, guys. If I remember later, I did find the remnant pieces of bullet jacket I found at the exit wound and will post a pic. The bullet did its job well, but that shoulder blade did strip some lead and copper on the way out.

I imagaine that the KS hunt would be a pretty cool hunt if one could draw it. Low-pressured bucks in a limited draw sounds like fun to me.