Legalizing warning shots: Thoughts, comments?

2»

Replies

  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    JODY, isn't that the guy that moves in on your girl when you go to war?

    I used to wear denim jeans and now I'm wearing Army greens

    Ain't no use in looking down ain't no discharge on the ground

    Ain't no use in looking back, Jody's got your Cadillac.............your left....your left .......your left right.........

    Pick up your weapon and follow me we are in the mighty Cavalry.........................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Hey, the Navy uses warning shots all the time...across the Bow ...........they make a big splash :tooth::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,222 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, the Navy uses warning shots all the time...across the Bow ...........they make a big splash :tooth::rotflmao::rotflmao:

    Well, if they didn't fire a warning shot and just aimed for a hit, there wouldn't be nothin' left of the boat and nobody left to surrender! :silly: :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.



  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    This is the knee jerk reaction politicians had to this case...
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-woman-who-fired-warning-shot-could-get-60-years/
    She went out of danger, went to the garage, grabbed a gun, came back in the house, and fired a "warning shot". If they wanted to make a difference in that case, I think they should look into their mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines that tie a judges hands as opposed to legalizing warning shots.

    I notice there isn't any quotes from the ex...could it be that his statement doesn't jibe well with hers? The fact that she left the house-where he was-got into the car and found her gun, and THEN came back inside to fire the 'warning shot' speaks volumes to me. She may not have been trying to kill him, but she wasn't fighting him off at that point either.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Here's a new story about the warning shot bill in Florida. The state senate has passed it and it's waiting gov. signature.

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/04/florida-lawmakers-approve-warning-shot-bill-revising-self-defense-laws/?intcmp=latestnews

    This article explains some of the questions we've had.

    It seems that the NRA backs this bill, and under the odd circumstances of the Florida law, I can understand now what the folderol was all about. A woman was convicted under the existing "10-20-life" law and apparently wrongly so.

    As the NRA says, a warning shot permission law isn't about self defense, since that is a part of our constitutional right of self defense.

    What I see now in the writeup is that this woman was wrongly indicted and charged under the 10-etc law and, if she was genuinely fearing for her safety or life, fired a warning shot under legit self defense. Or not. Thing is, if her shooting was legal for self defense, she shouldn't have been charged at all. If however she acted wrongly and was actually the aggressor, the charges were valid.

    Regardless, the new "warning shot" law is goofy and as has been properly analyzed, will eventually be misused to charge someone who did NOT fire warning shot at all -- the warning shot idiocy will become a requirement instead of an option.

    Not only is this a terrible way to define self defense, it goes against nearly every legit self defense teaching. Where the heck should you aim when firing that warning shot, anyway? Into the air? Alongside the bad guy so the shot goes flying at a bystander? Duh.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,240 Senior Member
    The Alexander case was discussed when it first went to trial. The woman went to her former residence when she thought that her husband wasn't around so she could get some of her belongings. When she got into a confrontation with him there, she went out to her vehicle to get her gun, returned (because she said she forgot her keys), and in the process fired a warning shot into a wall near where here children were.

    That to me doesn't read like a warning shot....

    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?6193-Florida-woman-sentenced-to-20-years-for-warning-shot
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thanks for the clarification, bream.

    You're right, I think -- this wasn't genuine self defense in the way we normally think of it. To leave the scene and returned armed? Maybe she belongs in jail.

    Regardless, the case is a questionable one when considering the validity of any legislation about "warning shots".

    As I see it, it falls under the same concepts of self defense where there is some debate (by non-2A people) that you should only shoot to wound, like shooting the bad guy in the leg. Hey, cops do it all the time on TV! Idiocy.

    Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Dr. db wrote: »
    Never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy.

    Well, even if you point at the sky, there's a possibility that the bullet will come down somewhere that you didn't want it to.

    Along with this law, they should have included a rider that removes liability for an errant warning shot.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Warning shot is a dangerous and stupid idea. Too many unknowns that could happen, none good.
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,521 Senior Member
    topgun wrote: »
    Well, even if you point at the sky, there's a possibility that the bullet will come down somewhere that you didn't want it to.

    Instead of coming up with stupid crap like this, these legislators need to be worried about keeping the roads smooth and level, and making sure ACTUAL criminals get punished for ACTUAL crimes.

    FIFY

    Making it legal to do something stupid, and then removing liability from said stupid action is even stupider. Anybody that actually fires a 'warning' shot is the most stupidest of all.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    FIFY

    Making it legal to do something stupid, and then removing liability from said stupid action is even stupider. Anybody that actually fires a 'warning' shot is the most stupidest of all.

    Not necessarily, my warning shot will be center mass.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    No warning shots.

    Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • KSDeputyKSDeputy Member Posts: 55 Member
    Warning shots are very dangerous, and stupid. That bullet goes somewhere. It is the same as shooting at a moving car. If you kill the driver, there is a huge chunk of metal speeding uncontrolled that could kill a lot of innocents. We were taught no warning shots, no shooting at cars or their drivers.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I can see where it should be a defendable action as a last resort before lethal force though they should be responsible for where it lands. Personally I think a kneecap is the perfect backstop for a warning shot.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Hitting a 3" moving target at 21 feet while pumped up on adrenaline isn't easy, especially if it's covered by baggy saggy pants.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Hitting a 3" moving target at 21 feet while pumped up on adrenaline isn't easy, especially if it's covered by baggy saggy pants.

    Yeah but then you will not be charged with reckless endangerment. Face it some are a little squeemish about taking a life and would much rather scare off an attacker than kill them. I would imagine a threat to myself would be in near contact before I fire. Of course I am 6'5" and 300lb so easily able to repel most physical threats especially if I let them hold a few first.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,240 Senior Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Of course I am 6'5" and 300lb so easily able to repel most physical threats especially if I let them hold a few first.
    Do bones break easily for you?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Do bones break easily for you?

    Usually if I'm not careful. Used to make sparring problematic.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,948 Senior Member
    This whole concept is **** anyway you look at it. If it's against the law to fire a warning shot and I feel it's an appropriate action at the time, if I know it's illegal to do it, then I'm really **** if I disclose the fact that I fired a warning shot. If I did on the spur of the moment think it might be appropriate, I'm not going to tell anyone it WAS a warning shot.I would just say that I was just pumped as you say and I missed my target. But don't ask me for a scenario where I would justify such an iffy act. If you're not sure whether your target is armed and it would be very hard to tell for sure if he was or not, you better make that shot count or you may end up the target and he might not be so inclined to reciprocity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Pelagic KayakerPelagic Kayaker Banned Posts: 1,503 Senior Member
    Didn't "Uncle Joe Biden" cover this last year? Sheeez.
    "The reflection upon my situation and that of this army produces many an uneasy hour when all around me are wrapped in sleep. Few people know the predicament we are in" ~General George Washington, January 14, 1776
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,948 Senior Member
    Didn't "Uncle Joe Biden" co.ver this last year? Sheeez.
    Oh that's right, he did. How silly of me to have forgotten this. Just blow both barrels and wait for Mr. Bad Guy to blow you away from the trees.......
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I notice there isn't any quotes from the ex...could it be that his statement doesn't jibe well with hers? The fact that she left the house-where he was-got into the car and found her gun, and THEN came back inside to fire the 'warning shot' speaks volumes to me. She may not have been trying to kill him, but she wasn't fighting him off at that point either.

    EXACTLY.
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,948 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Ignore this post and forgive me. I was looking at it from a LEO perspective since it's a matter of Policy almost everywhere and addressed in all manner of training. And I can't think of a single reason why a citizen would want to fire a warning shot. With non-LEOs, there is so far as I know no law or policy addressing the issue of warning shots, neither making it legal or on its face, illegal. However, as a non LEO, it's a really, really bad idea. It happens, though...these are called "misses."

    We can ignore it but there's lessons to be learned here by all. And as you said, out in the sticks there's less chance for an errant shot hurting an innocent. Case #1 for a warning shot out in the country, Joe Biden's advice excepted, is, and this worked more than once, when you come upon water melon thiefs in the night, a good shot over their heads where they can hear the round going by is a pretty good way to break up that kinda party.

    Also, I heard a story once about an ol' rancher who was coming home from his Friday night poker game and he drove by his barn and saw a car parked by the barn. As the story was told to me, upon inspection he saw two boys he believed to be molesting his mare and he fired his shotgun in the air, Biden style, and broke that party up too. I suspect this last example my have been embellished a bit to make it more interesting, either that or it was a total fabrication, but it does sound plausible knowing some people around here.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Many years ago, I carried a brace of revolvers, one of them had blanks for the first two shots, I had the option of firing a warning shot without the worry of a stray bullet. Times change, I would not do that today.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    [WQUOTE=NN;337024]JODY, isn't that the guy that moves in on your girl when you go to war?[/QUOTE]

    No, Jody is that boy from summer camp you never talk about.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.