"NO Firearm" signs... your response?

2»

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    topgun wrote: »
    Check out the cards on the website that I posted earlier. Unless they KNOW that you wanted to shop but didn't, they'll never know they lost money. I enjoy depriving them of my money, and want them to know it.

Ah, a big spender. And you want them to know it. Seems to me you like accosting people. How much did you deprive them? Ten bucks? Had I been the business owner, I would have told you to pound sand. Not because I like the sign, but because I wouldn't let someone tell me how to run my business.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,549 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Ah, a big spender. And you want them to know it. Seems to me you like accosting people. How much did you deprive them? Ten bucks? Had I been the business owner, I would have told you to pound sand. Not because I like the sign, but because I wouldn't let someone tell me how to run my business.
    Depends on the shop. If I take my extended family out to eat 300 is a cheap night. Take the kids to a pizza party? You shop for food for 5 people lately? I cant go to a hardware store without dropping a C note.
    Those that would tell me off, I just smile at. That just assures that even if they take the sign down I will never darken their door. Retailers depend on to tight of a line to exclude people these days. For every one that tells them, they dont know if 10 or 100 are NOT telling them or stopping in.
    I will not ever tell someone how to run their business, but they cant tell me I have to go there. As far as I am concerned a smile while asking directions to the next shop is a great way to make your point.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    I believe that the property rights of another person are as important (maybe more) than 2A rights. I will back the owners right to restrict ANY access he chooses. By the same token, I have no compelling interest to trade my property with him for his goods and will walk right by his business and if I have a chance to point out how I would like to shop there, but they dont want my business.

My state has no "legal notification" sinage. It is simply a matter of trespass.

For your(everyones) consideration, another side of the property rights coin.

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/272375261.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Generally I ignore the sign and go on in. If they ask me to leave I have no issue doing so.

Local gun shop didn't have a sign.. son and I open carried in there a few times.. a person brought a firearm in to either sale trade or have work done.. clerk made some mistake while clearing it then shot another clerk.. they now have a sign.. I keep it in my pocket while in that shop. Interestingly enough the same people own a couple other shops.. those had signs as long as I can remember.. I used to unload before going in but no longer do so.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,700 Senior Member
    You must live in the city.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    From another article (your link wasnt playing nice)

"Religious entities were exempted from having to take part in same-sex weddings when gay marriage was legalized there in 2013, but that exemption does not extend to businesses or individuals for their religious beliefs.
    "

That is complete BS. I would WHOLE HEARTEDLY support a gay resort owner who refused to allow a man and woman get married at their place of business. It's their ing business, (literally and figuratively) no one else's.

Yep, I would donate money to an appeals case for the business owners.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    From another article (your link wasnt playing nice)

"Religious entities were exempted from having to take part in same-sex weddings when gay marriage was legalized there in 2013, but that exemption does not extend to businesses or individuals for their religious beliefs.
    "

That is complete BS. I would WHOLE HEARTEDLY support a gay resort owner who refused to allow a man and woman get married at their place of business. It's their ing business, (literally and figuratively) no one else's.
    I agree. While I disagree with that lifestyle, not my concern as long as they don't make a "pass" at me.

By the same token, IMO anyway, any resort owned by heterosexuals should have the right to refuse a gay wedding party if they so desire.

But these days, God help them if they do. The aclu ( purposely not capitalized) and a bunch more of the "alphabet" groups will go tee totally nuts about that.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member

Sounds sorta like what you're trying to do to me. If enough people let him know, at ten bucks a head, it will add up to the point that even an idiot would realize that he's losing money. Your only other options are to simply walk away unbeknownst to them, or spend money there. What exactly do you do Gene?
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    Unless they KNOW that you wanted to shop but didn't, they'll never know they lost money. I enjoy depriving them of my money, and want them to know it.

They know they are alienating a customer base you really think they don't? Better yet do you think they care.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Buford wrote: »
    They know they are alienating a customer base you really think they don't? Better yet do you think they care.

I think they would care IF they knew exactly how many in their customer base that they are actually alienating. It's human nature, or greed, or both. The proprietors that put these signs up don't consider the consequences of their actions, they never do. If they did, they wouldn't be putting up signs.
    I think they would care IF they knew exactly how many in their customer base that they are actually alienating. It's human nature, or greed, or both. The proprietors that put these signs up don't consider the consequences of their actions, they never do. If they did, they wouldn't be putting up signs.
    I bet they know exactly how many of their customer base that they are alienating.
    But make no mistake for every person that takes exceptions at the sign there are 2 people who shop there because of the sign.
    There are a lot of folks who think guns and people who carry guns are scary. Some are even on this board.
    People who carry guns are a minority group.....the group is growing.....but it is not big enough to over ride the scardy cats....and most likely never will be.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I go out of my way to obey all laws/government regulations at all levels (Federal, State and local). Ex. as stupid as it is, I do not CC to the Post Office.

That being said, I couldn't give a rat's butthole about the ridiculous rules some business owners come up with. When you open for business, you open for business to all. As far as I'm concerned a business owner trying to stop folks from exercising a right that is recognized as legal by all laws in the community is just a form of discrimination, just like asking blacks to stay out of certain establishments back in the day or making an institution gender biased (men or women only clubs) and I will ignore it at my convenience as the ignorant, emotional stupidity it represents. I welcome any attempt in their part to enforce their silly rules...
    Exactly how I feel.

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    gator wrote: »
    I bet they know exactly how many of their customer base that they are alienating.
    But make no mistake for every person that takes exceptions at the sign there are 2 people who shop there because of the sign.
    There are a lot of folks who think guns and people who carry guns are scary. Some are even on this board.
    People who carry guns are a minority group.....the group is growing.....but it is not big enough to over ride the scardy cats....and most likely never will be.
    Maybe in AZ or some cities, but there is a whole lot more than cities that are trying to get your cash. When I worked in NJ there was a diner that a few of us would hit pretty regularly. He changed vendors, we quit showing up. Stopped in one time about 5 months later and he asked why we were not coming. I asked him why he got someone else for his service, and since he didnt support us, why should we support him? It made a differance. Helped that the company he got was a fly by night and his stuff didnt work about 50% of the time. He ordered our service back and pulled the fly by night equipment off the wall with a flatbar.
    Vote with your wallet, it works.

Even if there are other customers, the WHOLE idea of a retail business to to get people INSIDE. If you can get more in, you will make more money. If you have a smiling fellow tell you that you have taken the decision to exclude him so he is going down the road, you have lost a customer, and potentially much worse, a return customer,
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,174 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »

In our state we are still dealing with a disinformation campaign that was carried out by anti-gun groups back when our concealed carry laws were originally passed. The folks were going from business to business passing out gun buster signs telling store owners it was now the law that they had to post their businesses.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Even if there are other customers, the WHOLE idea of a retail business to to get people INSIDE. If you can get more in, you will make more money.

Isn't that what I just said??

If you get more customers by putting up No Guns Allowed signs than by allowing customers to carry guns why would you allow guns?

You are trying so hard to prove your point that your not listening to others.

Believe me there are most likely fewer anti gun signs in Az. than Pa.

BTW I am not referring to the small Mom and Pop operations, I am talking places like Applebees, Red Lobster...In Az. you can CC in places that serve alcohol unless they have the sign, and then it must be posted by the entrance and by the liquor license. Or the big box stores like Target...
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    You are missing the point. As a retailer you want ALL of the potential customers, so by discriminating you are losing potential re-occuring revenue.

If they get more in AZ by being anti gun, then it is a good move on their part. They would get none of mine. It is likely a fad to the anti gun crowd so they need to watch it.

Here we go with the "pro gun west" poo again.
    Pa has 20 dollar shall issue permits with the idea that since you are an adult, you can get training if you want to. It is a open carry and class 3 state. You can carry everywhere except govt buildings. There are more firearms per capita than Texas. We field about 800K (down from a million) under arms on the first day of deer and most highschools take 2 teachers in service days. Retail stores have "deer camp widow" sales. There is no "no carry sign" law here. When "castle doctrine" law was passed it ONLY re affirmed what was already in place.
    Dont bet that there are more, you will lose.

As far as Applebees, it looks like a photo of a Cabelas hunting lodge on the first Saturday of deer. Chilis has one, and last I looked, they dont do a brisk business.
    Not missing the point at all...

USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    Here we go with the "pro gun west" poo again.
    Pa has 20 dollar shall issue permits with the idea that since you are an adult, you can get training if you want to. It is a open carry and class 3 state. You can carry everywhere except govt buildings.

In Az........No permit required...
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The so called "property owners rights" argument as it relates to CC is fatuous and political, is the prperty owner going to stop off duty FBI or Police from carry? What about felons carrying? Psychopathic killers? and the property owner is unarmed? My need to be able to defend Myself is important to Me, otherwise I would not have made the efforts to qualify for CCW. Personally, I would avoid places with no CCW signs, CCW island not like second hand tobacco smoke, CCW does not hurt or violate other people's rights, it is simply political grandstanding.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996