Lever gun advice

2»

Replies

• LerchessLerchess Senior Member Posts: 550 Senior Member
    I think I might do the Rossi for now. I emailed the Browning rep earlier this year about the Winchester 92 large loop and he said they have way more orders than production ability. So while I'll need one eventually, I may be forced to wait until next year for the Winchester. Been doing a little digging on the Rossi on the internet machine and reviews haven't been bad.

I saw that 454. I, um, yeah I just don't know about that....:tooth:

I wouldn't mind a Marlin either, but it would seem that they forget they were supposed to keep making them.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    Lerchess wrote: »
    I think I might do the Rossi for now. I emailed the Browning rep earlier this year about the Winchester 92 large loop and he said they have way more orders than production ability. So while I'll need one eventually, I may be forced to wait until next year for the Winchester. Been doing a little digging on the Rossi on the internet machine and reviews haven't been bad.

I saw that 454. I, um, yeah I just don't know about that....:tooth:

I wouldn't mind a Marlin either, but it would seem that they forget they were supposed to keep making them.

The 454 shoots 45 Colt, too. :devil:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    take that step toward the 25

8c5a564b-a378-4be6-9ccb-80ee1c005db7_zps4154aefd.jpg
    You tempters! :roll2:

I was curious if that 454 would shoot the .45C reliably. I did a quick check of distributors and they don't show one in stock right now.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    You tempters! :roll2:

I was curious if that 454 would shoot the .45C reliably. I did a quick check of distributors and they don't show one in stock right now.

There are a dozen on G/B, just sayin:tooth:

Sako
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,499 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »

My brother is eye balling one of those locally so I may have one to report on soon.:love: My dad has the Taurus version of that rifle that I reluctantly admit to shooting last spring. It was surprisingly accurate but not much to look at.

Sako
    My brother is eye balling one of those locally so I may have one to report on soon.

I hope it is not good
    My brother is eye balling one of those locally so I may have one to report on soon.

I hope it is not good
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I have been spending some time at the Marlin Owners Forum, and one of their members did this with his 30-30... Krylon bedliner paint on the stock, large loop lever with some paracord wrap, and XS sight systems ghost ring sight and rail allows him to switch between scope red dot or irons. I like it!

116940d1409496562-my-remlin-trapper-dipped-chocolate-image.jpg

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Agh you guys suck - I need help making a decision, not making my indecision worse! :tooth:

I think I've made up my mind though. I'll be out of town for most of this week so I hope to post what I get next week.

I hadn't thought of the pump gun, but I've played with those before and that may be my eventual companion for my eventual 25. They are very nice.

Dan, I can't see the picture but I think I know where he went and I like that look.
    Talk to Sako because if his brother doesn't get it that could be a good lead.

don't talk to kenfu though he is saving that for me
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Why would is twist rate matter as to accuracy?

He claimed it was too slow to accurate at distance. I haven't shot it and I do not have details. I will say the .44 mag rifles I have seen turn in 3 to 4 MOA. As good as my Remington 742 in 30-06.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Talk to Sako because if his brother doesn't get it that could be a good lead.

don't talk to kenfu though he is saving that for me

The one here is for all intent and purpose, NIB and 100 bucks cheaper:tooth: If my brother declines then it may be my next layaway!!!!

Sako
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    A friend and I had this conversation on Thursday. While he has a .44 mag lever gun, his has a twist rate is too slow to be really accurate. I do not know a lot about .44 mag lever guns, but the 45 colt has a tradition of being an accurate gun in both revolvers and lever guns. I would go with the 45 colt.

I think the 45-70 would be great, but I believe it is too long. If the 45-70 were an option that would be my first choice.

D

Pffft. My Marlin 1894P is like that (too slow twist rate). It only shoots MOA with WWB 240gr. JSP's. :tooth:

But seriously, I can see where it might make a difference if you were trying to push 300 gr. bullets in your .44. Otherwise, not an issue.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,540 Senior Member
    What's the consensus here on Rossi lever guns? I hesitate to buy guns from down that-way, but I seem to recall hearing some good things about them.

Doing some checking around, the .45 might be a little more available. I checked the gunbroker and prices seem a tad higher than what I was hoping for. I put in a few bids but no luck.

I picked up a Rossi 92 in .357 about a year or so ago and the only issue I had with it was the cheesy finish and the sharp edges on all the metalwork. A few coats of oil and some sanding and I got it looking like I want it. I took it to the last SE shoot and a few folks handled it and seemed to enjoy shooting it. I haven't had any mechanical issues with it aside from the loading gate being kinda tight. I'm thinking of getting another one in .45colt.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    So I am definitely on the right track with that one. Cool.

Edit-- The .44 AMP was based on the .308 Winchester case.

Sounds like you're basically making a sort of 44 Automag Maximum. Cool.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Well it's not mine but I will get to play with it:p
    002_zpsbad90d56.jpg
    unfortunately my brother is out of town next week so no range report till after that.

Sako
    Now that's what I'm talking about.....GREAT assist Tom
    Now that's what I'm talking about.....GREAT assist Tom

Tried to get him to drop it off while he was out of town but he did not go for it:jester: Now to find brass.

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    Tried to get him to drop it off while he was out of town but he did not go for it:jester: Now to find brass.

Sako

or ammo
    or ammo

That's just mean:yikes:

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    That's just mean:yikes: