Printing & concealed carry, views, experiences

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
I hear what has been alleged in relation to concealed carry and printing, however ussually mentioned in passing with no facts offered.

My question is this; does anyone know of an actual law that describes printing while CCW as a violation of law and a penalty?

Has anyone been questioned or stopped for printing?

I know if you are fat & dumpy like Me and wear baggy clothes, no one gives a scabby elephant butt like Me a second glance, I suppose if you are thin and svelte and wear finkarelli fashion grape skin tight jeans, a lil print and everyone knows you are packing.

What say those who EDC? while I belive better not to print, I feel it is also lotta hype,in all the years I have carried, I have never been grilled for printing even showing.
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    FL law was recently improved to (more or less) allow for accidental exposure of a concealed weapon. Makes me worry a lot less.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Funny thing, when I lived in anti gun NYC, I wandered into a seven 11 for a roast beef sandwich and free coffee I was pretty tired, a uniformed officer greeted Me and asks, long tour huh? it had been and I agreed and made small shop talk etc... as I paid, I noticed My sidearm was fully exposed, but it was not a problem, even range day when I carrief a pile of shooting irons to My truck, I never got questions except by an anti gun neighbor.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,699 Senior Member
    Printing is mostly a concern of people who are new to concealed carry. After a while, you realize that nobody is paying any attention and probably wouldn't notice if you were carrying it in your hand.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Printing is mostly a concern of people who are new to concealed carry. After a while, you realize that nobody is paying any attention and probably wouldn't notice if you were carrying it in your hand.

I agree with this, when I first started I was very careful and paranoid. Now I really don't give it much thought.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    seems like 90% of the people I see have their faces stuck in a cell phone texting so highly doubt they would pay much attention to it
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,311 Senior Member
    I carried a 1911 for years and never got made. It can happen, but it never happened to me. Most people just don't look at your waist, and if they do, they're not looking for a "weapon." I got bumped into once at the mall by one member of a salt and pepper team, who immediately apologized. I always though it was a bit hinkey, but nothing came of it. Could have been non-local cops, (they looked like it, big guys) could have been pickpockets, could have been sheer coincidence.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Interesting encounter; open carry people vs. Portland Police,

you tube:
    Portland Police, Open Carry AR-15
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,185 Senior Member
    As with others...I used to be quite careful about making sure my firearm was "properly"concealed..nowadays I stuff my LCR in my back pocket and don't give it another thought....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,702 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

:that:

I play a little game whenever I'm in town and try to figure out who is carrying and where they are carrying it. I have made several but would never say anything.
    As others have said when I first got my CCW I was positive that everyone was watching me but soon realized that nobody noticed or even cared.
    Now most of the time I don't even think about it and even forget that I'm carrying until something reminds me.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,185 Senior Member
    Over the years I've noticed people new to the CCW world are pretty easy to make...they are always feeling themselves up, tugging at their clothes and smoothing their cover garments....kinda funny to follow them around wally world....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Like Wambli said I used to worry about it but I have realized over the years the sheeple don't notice so I really don't worry about it any more.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    A well-fitted IWB holster on a good belt tucks in close enough that even a 1911 can be pretty hard to spot. Midsize guns IWB just sort of disappear under an untucked shirt at least to the point I forget I'm packing sometimes. If I don't notice the thing, I'm pretty sure others would have to look pretty closely to make me.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    I keep a S&W J frame in my strong side cargo pocket in a pocket holster and it is only noticeable if you look and observe the weight moving when I walk. Printing in FL is now a non-issue.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    A well-fitted IWB holster on a good belt tucks in close enough that even a 1911 can be pretty hard to spot. Midsize guns IWB just sort of disappear under an untucked shirt at least to the point I forget I'm packing sometimes. If I don't notice the thing, I'm pretty sure others would have to look pretty closely to make me.
    Jerry

The slab sided semis disappear IWB, But I've been carrying an N frame OWB since last February or so with no problems that I'm aware of. Except that the weight is becoming a factor and I don't like sweating it out like that H&R laying in pieces on your bench.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Good question.

Re. actual law, in Tx "printing" is defined as concealment such that "reasonable" concealment is all that's needed. That is, from an "average" person in normal everyday to and fro, and not a harder sharper view from, say, a trained LEO.

And the law here stipulates that you're not doing the felony thing if you accidentally reveal the weapon, just that you may be asked to leave a premises. So the Tx law is pretty reasonable.

Re. concealment, I'm simply not gonna wear baggy clothes again after losing 80-100 pounds and I'm not wearing slimjim stuff but in the normally hot Houston days, No coats or overwear, just jeans and t-shirt 99% of the time.

So.... yeah, if the gun is larger than a pocket rocket, I would "print" but that's my choice. I could wear baggier clothes and conceal a larger gun, true. And much as I love the 1911 it's too large for my now small frame (remember, I'm only 5-5 or 5-6 and a shorter person simply doesn't have the body mass to conceal a "longer" pistol.

So I generally pocket carry my .357 snubbie and when that insurance check comes in, I'm looking for the slimmest and smallest .45acp I can find.

Or I may choose to semi-open carry w. that flat holster "sneaky pete" thing. I dunno.

Anyway... here in Tx all the years I've been carrying (even, ahem, before the CHL law) I've NEVER been "caught" carrying by a LEO or ordinary citizen or anybody else.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    The one thing I find highly annoying about the Tx CHL law is the limitation on carrying into taverns and bars.

Here they use the "51% rule" -- that a business w. 50+ percent revenue in booze (taverns, bars, nightclubs, etc) you cannot CHL and it's a class 3 (lowest) felony. So you can legally carry in, say, a restaurant that sells booze, even in an attached bar of that restaurant, just as long as the bar is part of the overall biz.

What pesters me is that I love to hear local and small tour music groups, mostly blues/rock, and they play at bars and clubs. And leaving the bar at 1am and heading to your car is when you're most vulnerable.

I guess I could wall myself up in my home fortress (built from an abandoned missile silo) and stay growling in my man-cave, holding my AR in my hands, ready to fire at the slightest shadow (evil zombie ninjas!) but ****!! I want to hear live music!

So I venture occasionally to night clubs / bars that have good local bands, and though I don't drink much these days (2 beer an evening is max) and I'll be stone sober at 1am when I go to my car, I am vulnerable because the law won't let me carry in a bar.

And of course I would NEVER carry my teeny KelTec P3AT .380 in my pocket anyway.

But that's thread drift. Back to the subject, Texas law is pretty "reasonable" about printing.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,919 Senior Member
    I'm still careful about keeping my firearm concealed when out and about. Most LEOs have enough common sense to realize that sometimes a shirt may ride up or your piece may bulge a bit when you contort to a certain position, but there's always that one odd LEO that is out to save the world or wants to gain recognition as super cop and slipped by in the academy and is now on the beat. So I'm careful. We had one DPS (Hiway Patrol) here that screwed up a lot of good folks driving records over nit pick things. If anyone argued with him his favorite words were, "The Law is the Law!" There's not many of those around but as a JP told me once, "If he tickets you or brings you in, if he's within the law, no matter how Chicken Poo he is, I have to take his side and if you protest his action, you had better have an open and shut case, because I will have no recourse but to fine you and/or have you incarcerated." So like I said, I'm pretty careful.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,126 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    FL law was recently improved to (more or less) allow for accidental exposure of a concealed weapon. Makes me worry a lot less.

There is a difference between what you recently read and what was recently legislated.

Accidentally exposing a CCW has been legally excusable for a long, long time here in FL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Oh yeah, one other thing. I usually am not carrying while I'm printing, unless I'm printing at the library. Here at home when I'm running my printer I'm usually wearing casual shorts and a teeshirt, but my shotgun is within arms reach in the corner.

:buff2: :applause: :jester:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    There is a difference between what you recently read and what was recently legislated.

Accidentally exposing a CCW has been legally excusable for a long, long time here in FL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I don't know the Fl law but I do know that the Tx CHL law was originally based on the FL statute and we've always had the "reasonable" concealment clause, so I'm betting that the FL law is the same. Of course a recent change may have lightened the clause a bit more, too.

Any specifics? Thanks.

snake284 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, one other thing. I usually am not carrying while I'm printing, unless I'm printing at the library. Here at home when I'm running my printer I'm usually wearing casual shorts and a teeshirt, but my shotgun is within arms reach in the corner

I just KNEW someone would make that comment but I thought it would be cpj. Ya coulda fooled me, dude. ha ha

samzhere wrote: »
    I just KNEW someone would make that comment but I thought it would be cpj. Ya coulda fooled me, dude. ha ha

:buff2: :yikes: :fan: :rotflmao:
    snake284 wrote: »
    :buff2: :yikes: :fan: :rotflmao:

I don't pretend to understand all the animation but you know I was just kidding, buddy.

Kidding? Sure.

There seems to be a trend in concealed carry in both Washington & Oregano, according to unscientific polls in Oregon, one out of sixteen people have permits to carry, likely not all of them carry.

The Portland Police bureau seem well adjusted to the concept of concealed carry and firearms in general, even treating the open carry knuckle draggers fairly.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, every jurisdiction isn't Florida, Texas or Arizona. Unintended display is to be avoided at all costs. Printing, or accidentally revealing your concealed carry weapon in any other way, for any stupid excuse you can dream up, is in the final analysis, negligent and incompetent, and while less consequential, little different from an accidental or unintended discharge. Carelessness with any aspect of firearm handling, any aspect at all, can, in many jurisdictions, get you in big trouble.

If your CCW gun, holster, rig, whatever, is of such a nature that you cannot be assured of its complete discretion within your customary wardrobe, whether you are standing, sitting, bending, twisting, reaching, stretching, lifting, walking, running, whatever, then, and regardless of any of its other virtues, either you bought the wrong gun or Mommy has to stop dressing you funny.
    horselips wrote: »
    Unfortunately, every jurisdiction isn't Florida, Texas or Arizona. Unintended display is to be avoided at all costs. Printing, or accidentally revealing your concealed carry weapon in any other way, for any stupid excuse you can dream up, is in the final analysis, negligent and incompetent, and while less consequential, little different from an accidental or unintended discharge. Carelessness with any aspect of firearm handling, any aspect at all, can, in many jurisdictions, get you in big trouble.

If your CCW gun, holster, rig, whatever, is of such a nature that you cannot be assured of its complete discretion within your customary wardrobe, whether you are standing, sitting, bending, twisting, reaching, stretching, lifting, walking, running, whatever, then, and regardless of any of its other virtues, either you bought the wrong gun or Mommy has to stop dressing you funny.

Even in Gun Friendly Texas you have to be careful because not all LEOs are 2A people and some who otherwise might be are looking for any excuse to make their mark. So it's best to use discretion and not take chances. If, like has been mentioned you do let your shirt ride up a little farther than you want and you flash somebody with your carry piece, mostly you're going to be fine. But there's always that one time where maybe some anti might see it and the local cop is not in tune with our view of 2A, and there's all manner of ways for them to twist any law to make you look guilty. Their charges might not hold up in court, but it can sure cost you money in legal fees and time that it's prudent to be a little on the conservative side. Besides, like has been hashed over on this forum, I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying. I want surprise on my side.
    Horelips, perhaps you should learn more about concealed carry before you speak on matters you have little understanding of.
    The only incompetence here is your lack of understanding of concealed carry.
    samzhere wrote: »
    I don't pretend to understand all the animation but you know I was just kidding, buddy.

Of course Sam, so was I. I just couldn't resist. The way it was worded left it wide open to such comments, :jester: