A budding long-range shooter (8 years old)

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 6,978 Senior Member
I was able to do some coaching this week with a 8 year old boy shooting distance with a Savage 6.5-284 Rifle (factory 9T barrel), 3-12 Huskemaw scope, and MAC brake.
Chuck McIntosh was helping coach some as well.
We ended up the day with the young man making multiple connections at 1440 yards.
Very proud of this young man. He also fired a suppressed 300 RUM and made a first shot connection (He only fired the rifle one time) at 500 yards on a 5" square target.
The pics shows him shooting a 6mm Creedmoor and the 300 RUM he shot.
Collinnrifle_zps387e74b0.jpg
collin2rifle_zps73dc8098.jpg

The next day I brought a couple of SP's for him to play with.
284 Win rear grip XP-100 (168 SMK's), McRee Chassis, at 850 yards. He went to 850 after he got bored with 10" targets at 400 and 500 yards.
We ended up having switchy winds, which made things more difficult, but still fun.
COlling284_zpsd1fe7634.jpg
Collin284Winchester_zpsd1fe7634.jpg

And at 750 yards with the 6.5-284 bench pistol.
DSC02549_zps7c5a4a7d.jpg

Can't wait to see how this young man develops as a shooter.
It was a real pleasure coaching him.
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    "he got bored with 10" targets at 400 and 500 yards."

I can't even SEE 10" targets at 400-500 yards anymore!

Great shooting young man!

In comparison, my 9 year old grandson is still a little afraid of the Ruger 10/22 at any range, so naturally I'm a little jealous here.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,759 Senior Member
    Looks like he enjoyed that! I think you got him hooked.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Exceedingly cool.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,895 Senior Member
    Good work
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    That experience will give him a lifetime of fond memories about shootin, even if doesn't take up the sport.

Nice to see a young man spend his time away from computers ans TV these days, doing something positive.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I wish the preachers I had taught shootin Ernie. All I can remember from being in church as a kid/Little Chief was the preacher giving me stern looks for talking or cutting-up while he was preaching about fire and brimstone and getting a slap or pinched by momma for embarrassing her in church :tooth:

Oh and if I was really bad, yanked up and taken to an empty Sunday school class room fer a good spanking. :yikes::yikes:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,723 Senior Member
    Wow Ernie, THAT is impressive, nice coaching, this means there is hope for me:cool2:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,978 Senior Member
    Received this in the mail yesterday.
    It is precious and I will cherish it.
    89B4CC7C-DE0A-46EC-8347-3BE2E53888C9_zpshot1yx1r.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Received this in the mail yesterday.
    It is precious and I will cherish it.
    89B4CC7C-DE0A-46EC-8347-3BE2E53888C9_zpshot1yx1r.jpg

That made it even more worthwhile I'll bet, getting a thank you note!

That would definitely go on the fridge with a magnet or a keepsake box.
    It made my day! Working with young people is very enjoyable. Collin has no sense of limitations when it comes to distance (Which I really like!). We went out to 1440 yards, but he was ready to go for a mile
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That my friend, it's better than any trophy you will ever receive. :up:
    Yep. That is awesome!
    I do need to give credit where credit is due: I know some of the folks in the industry that deserve a "Thank You & Job Well Done!" for making this possible.
    Savage Arms/The Rifle
    Best of The West/Huskemaw Scope
    Mac's Gunworks/ Muzzle Brake, Load Development and Loading all of the ammunition. They have also (while the boy and his dad were there), chopped the stock and reworked the trigger. Chuck also began walking both of them through how to load and let Collin participate (supervised) in certain aspects of the process.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I do need to give credit where credit is due: I know some of the folks in the industry that deserve a "Thank You & Job Well Done!" for making this possible.
    Savage Arms/The Rifle
    Best of The West/Huskemaw Scope
    Mac's Gunworks/ Muzzle Brake, Load Development and Loading all of the ammunition.

Ok, Mac.....I get. He put time and effort into this. But, what did any of the other companies you mentioned do to deserve the sales pitch. Other than make a product? Did they donate or participate in any way?
    Savage donated/gave them the rifle free of cost.
    BOTW gave/free them the scope and let him attend a two day course free.
    Zee wrote: »
    Ok, Mac.....I get. He put time and effort into this. But, what did any of the other companies you mentioned do to deserve the sales pitch. Other than make a product? Did they donate or participate in any way?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Then that deserves Kudos. Participation, yes. Existence.......no.
    Ha! You are so funny at times..:jester:
    I even shot that Savage rifle myself and connected at distance...Shh, don't tell anyone:nono:
    Then that deserves Kudos. Participation, yes. Existence.......no.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I also feel an act of kindness should not be turned into a sales pitch to capitalize on a little boy.

Good intentions are good intentions. Ulterior motives..........not so much.

Edit: that wasn't directed at you
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,740 Senior Member
    Way to go Ernie :up:
    Roger that. I get what you are saying.
    I have not had one word of communication from anyone who helped make this happen for this young boy for me to share it.
    His dad is the one who told me the whole story.
    Chuck had told me earlier (I helped do some of the initial reloading) about this boy, and who had helped.
    At that time I didn't even know they were coming to Gillette for more shooting. I was impressed by the story, and even more so when his dad gave me the full rundown.
    Honestly, I want folks to know who made this possible for this father/son. But no one has asked or even hinted that I do so.
    I don't own a Savage, but I am impressed by them in all of this. And the same for BOTW.
    What Chuck did, does not surprise me at all. It is in his nature to help, especially young people.
    I also feel an act of kindness should not be turned into a sales pitch to capitalize on a little boy.

Good intentions are good intentions. Ulterior motives..........not so much.

Edit: that wasn't directed at you completely.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"