Home Main Category Personal Defense

North Carolina Concealed Carry Question

Yulee BoyYulee Boy MemberPosts: 37 Member
Im looking for some guidance from those familiar with North Carolina laws... I am currently a North Carolina resident. Drivers license, registered to vote, address, vehicle, all that good stuff. But when I got my concealed carry permit I was a Florida resident. If I was still a Florida resident I could conceal legally here in NC no problem. But I was recently told that as soon as I become a NC resident my FL carry permit becomes invalid and I must get a NC permit. Money is tight at the moment, so Im looking for the cheapest way out. Does anyone have any knowledge of this subject? Was I misinformed? If not, is there some way to transfer my permit? Or do I just have to get a new permit? My FL one is still good for a few years and would only be a small renewal fee, so Im trying to avoid the cost of another class and a new permit. Thanks!
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily." - George Washington


  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member

    Looks like you will be required to get a NC CCW, I'm not an expert. Call the state office and don't depend on unofficial forums...like this one when it comes to the LAW! Find out from the horses mouth.

    If you have a DD 214 form showing you served honorably, some states like FLA waiver the classroom requirements. I didn't have to take the classes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,161 Senior Member
    Your question was answered above, but, you still need to read info at the link for any other questions you might think of:


    NC wants your money and they have ways to get it.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    IIRC, the DD214 must have a statement of proficiency with sidearms of some type.
    They list many acceptable documents.
    The prevailing component of the document must establish handgun safety training.
    In most States NRA Instructor's credentials are acceptable proof of training / competency.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,161 Senior Member
    I believe in NC, all the 214 does is establish type of discharge, as one needs to not have a dishonorable discharge
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction


Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services


GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.