Home Main Category Hunting

...elk season...

wildgenewildgene Senior MemberPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
...starts in a month. Time to start getting organized, sharpen knives, check gear, find everything I've managed to misplace. Had a nice, cool day, figgered I better check my rifles...

shootinbench_zpsaf981baa.jpg

...put a new Leupold 4.5X14 VX-3 CDS on the .325 WSM, had to adjust the dial a little...

...200yd. cold bore/ 220gr. Sierra SBT/ 63gr. RL-17/ MV 2800fps...

325WSM200ydcoldbore_zps3bae025f.jpg

...a couple of the base line loads from the .300 WSM...

300wsm165grSBT200ydcoldbore_zps46ecfa84.jpg

...3 of the 165gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing hunting loads, shot 3 cause I pulled the second one a little...

165grSHPBTGK200ydcoldbore_zps457948c1.jpg

Replies

• gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Good shooting.........and good luck on the hunt.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,602 Senior Member
    I'm so jealous. I had planned to elk hunt this year, but, it just wasn't in the cards.
    How do you like that new Leupold, what reticle did you get? I'm eyeballing that one for a couple of my hunting rifles.
    Great shooting!
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    I'm so jealous. I had planned to elk hunt this year, but, it just wasn't in the cards.
    How do you like that new Leupold, what reticle did you get? I'm eyeballing that one for a couple of my hunting rifles.
    Great shooting!

...I've got the 4.5X14 VX-3's on my .300 & .325 WSM's, I've pretty much replaced the side focus AO's, BDC's w/ the KISS principle on my "big game" rifles. I've been using a Leupold Duplex for so long I've pretty much got them figgered out, there's still a lot of info available on even a straight Duplex & the "bells & whistles" rarely got used on the fancy reticles. I grew up chasing elk thru the black timber of N.ID, & you didn't know if you were going to be shooting @ 45' or 450yds., the Duplex has worked from "twilight" in the timber to harsh sun & a WY "breeze" across canyons. I do like the CDS on the .325 WSM, I'm only using one load & I tend to pack it in more open country, you get into the habit of checking your safety, making sure you've turned the power ring down, you just add checking to make sure you've run the elev. knob back down to the "zero" stop. There's bigger, better, more precise scopes out there, but when it comes down to price, weight, optics, & mechanicals the VX-3's are hard to beat...

...I've got AO's & Varmint Hunter, B&C, & LRV reticles on my "dual purpose" rifles, in a "perfect world" Leupold would offer a B&C/ LRV hybrid Duplex, but the plain Duplex works just fine...
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...well, it's definitely getting closer...

9-11-14_zps2935a9fa.jpg