Home Main Category Hunting

Your favorite game animal to hunt?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    If I had to drag a deer out, I wouldn't go deer hunting anymore. I hunt on the farm, and I use the three point utility box on the tractor to haul the deer out of the woods, back up to the tailgate of the truck, and put it in the truck bed, haul it 4 miles to the check-in station, and then drive 100 yards to the deer processor (behind the check-in station).

My favorite hunting is still squirrel hunting. I loved squirrel hunting as a kid, and still do. And like Woodsrunner, I like hunting them with a .32 cal. muzzleloader, but mine is that new fangled caplock type. Hunting squirrels with a muzzleloading rifle will teach you patience and accurate shooting like no other.

Hunting anything with a ML you better be accurate, because if you miss your first shot, your game probably isn't going to be too keen on hanging around smiling for the camera, :tooth:

Having said that, I will say I haven't killed anything with mine yet, but I have had a couple of fizzle shots that cost me a deer in one case. And I'm here to tell you there is absolutely Zero Tolerance with Muzzle Loaders when hunting. Everything has to come together at the proper time and the planets and the stars better be lined up. Cause there aren't any followups. Once that trigger is pulled the rifle better be lined up dead on target and it better go bang when the hammer falls. I've only hunted deer with mine so far, but I would guess Squirrels would be a real trip and about the ultimate challenge as a hunter.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    A fun thread to read and it brings back a lot of great memories, especially about dove hunting. I grew up in Texas in that wonderful decade, the 1950s. In those days grain fields covered much of central and west Texas. My dad had several hundred acres of maize, oats and wheat. I remember times when I'd see hundreds of birds in the air at one time, like it is in Argentina. There was shooting galore and I became a pretty good shotgunner with my little 20 gauge Eastern Arms (Stevens/Sears) single shot. I can remember sitting in a little thicket one time by a water tank and listening to the whistling wings as the doves circled overhead getting ready to come in for water. It was the first time I remember realizing how exciting hunting was. So my vote goes for doves. Not far behind are fox squirrels in pecan trees, bobwhite quail in the fencerows between fields of grain.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    While I love duck and goose hunting and agree it is a great rush to decoy these birds, for me there is nothing more challenging than shooting a mature whitetail with a bow and arrow. I probably average close to 75 morning or evenings a deer season spent on stand trying to fool these elusive animals, and they make me the fool most of the time! Amazing what those hunts do for a man's soul, all the worry's just go away for a few hours. And the best thing it, opening day is today and I am leaving work and heading to stand in one hour, 6 minutes, 32 seconds!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,258 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    ...and I am leaving work and heading to stand in one hour, 6 minutes, 32 seconds!
    Not counting down are you? :roll2:

Good luck, happy hunting & shoot straight :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    #1 - "large" game. Deer, etc.
    #2 - squirrels
    #3 - anything else.

ANY day in the woods/wilderness is a good one.

Luis

THREE AND A HALF DAYS TO GO!
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    twa wrote: »
    While I love duck and goose hunting and agree it is a great rush to decoy these birds, for me there is nothing more challenging than shooting a mature whitetail with a bow and arrow. I probably average close to 75 morning or evenings a deer season spent on stand trying to fool these elusive animals, and they make me the fool most of the time! Amazing what those hunts do for a man's soul, all the worry's just go away for a few hours. And the best thing it, opening day is today and I am leaving work and heading to stand in one hour, 6 minutes, 32 seconds!

twa, you are right, but I'm here to tell you that even rifle hunting gives me that rush, still, after doing it that way for over 55 years now because my first time deer hunting was around Christmas, 1959. I was 11 years old and sitting next to a big rock outcropping with my dad up around Llano Texas on my uncle's lease. My dad shot a 5 point that morning, the first deer either one of us had ever seen in the wild. I remember the rush I got from that and that rush has never left me. When I'm sitting out there on a cold morning or afternoon and see a buck I still get that same feeling, nothing much like it.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...snipe...

...nuthin more fun than sending the boys out on a "snipe hunt"...:devil::rotflmao:
    wildgene wrote: »
    ...snipe...

...nuthin more fun than sending the boys out on a "snipe hunt"...:devil::rotflmao:

Oh those snipe hunts! I remember when I was a little kid and my mother was a Girl Scout leader and I had to tag along. My sister's 5 years my senior. Anyway, back then Snipe Hunts were prime entertainment for the Enlightened at the expense of the Unknowing.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Yeah, that kind of 'snipe hunting' can be some fun!

Actually hunting the real bird in the marshes is some fun, too. Those little suckers' zigzag flight makes them a hard target. But they are good eats. And you have to work for every one. Florida has some of the best snipe hunting I've ever been on.

My favorite non game species is barn rats. In another couple of months my neighbor that owns the dairy farm will be ready for me to get after the rats in the hay barn and the grain storage and silage towers. Fun stuff! .22 cal. pellet gun, a honey bun stuck on a nail in a board, a 20 watt light for illumination, and the game is on. I have a cheap laser pointer sight on the barrel of the pellet gun with a pressure switch to turn it on stuck to the stock. In return, I get to hunt the river bottoms on his place for corn fed squirrels. Win-Win!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams