Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

6,150 speeding ticket being thrown out in Houston due to crooked cops

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,374 Senior Member
http://www.kveo.com/news/thousands-citations-thrown-out-after-ticket-rigging-scheme-houston-officers

The 6,150 number came from my local news broadcast.

Seems they would list each other as witnesses on tickets so they'd have to go to court and draw more OT. In some instances, the "witness" was actually writing a ticket across town when they supposedly witnessed another crime.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Wow, just wow! :nono:
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,602 Senior Member
    This takes the situation to whole new level of bad:

Officer Farias killed himself in a parking garage after the scandal broke and the three other officers remain under criminal investigation.

I really feel for his family & friends. :angel2:
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    City officials say people can request a new trial if they settled a citation by one of the officers accused in the scheme in the past 10 days.

Only in the past ten days? Every ticket ever written by these guys should be refunded, refund any traffic school costs and lost work time, and refund all increases in insurance premiums.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep, a talented ambulance chaser with a couple of "pit bull" investigators could turn this situation into a very lucrative class action suit.
    Jerry
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,877 Senior Member
    I am positive that out of all of the LEO's in this country, these are THE only 4 that have done this....:roll:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    The 10 day time limit has something to do with some law in Texas, from one of the articles i read about it :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,563 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    This.

I hope the city gets their ass sued off.

Absolutely not. Think about where you are pointing the finger.

The fraud perpetrated by these officers was done unknowingly to the city, almost certainly. Why sue the city? Their liability insurance will pay out the punitive money and then they will have less money in their budget when their insurance premium goes up, thus being detrimental to the people who live in and pay taxes to the city. Bad form.

Charge each of the officers with the appropriate criminal flavor of fraud, fire them for time card fraud, and make paying back the city all the fraudulent overtime money a condition of the restitution at conviction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    PFD wrote: »
    This takes the situation to whole new level of bad:

Officer Farias killed himself in a parking garage after the scandal broke and the three other officers remain under criminal investigation.

I really feel for his family & friends. :angel2:

Then this guy had underlying mental issues that may have come out in violence at anytime he was stressed personally... It happening in his home and only to himself rather than on duty is a godsend.

I feel for his family, too, but if you dug deep enough he had some real issues going on. Suicide is not random or spontaneous.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Michakav wrote: »
    I am positive that out of all of the LEO's in this country, these are THE only 4 that have done this....:roll:

And it happens in the private sector, too. People fib on time sheets all the time. So don't condescend too much on these guys. Yes, it's taxpayers money, not a business owner's, but the fundamentals are the same.

Money stolen from a small business owner who provides goods/services to a community who has to raise his prices due to theft from his business is akin to taxpayer dollars being wasted on fraudulent overtime. Everyone loses all the same.

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    I waste your tax money everyday at work...well everyday that I have been stationed here...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,673 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    And it happens in the private sector, too. People fib on time sheets all the time. So don't condescend too much on these guys. Yes, it's taxpayers money, not a business owner's, but the fundamentals are the same.

Money stolen from a small business owner who provides goods/services to a community who has to raise his prices due to theft from his business is akin to taxpayer dollars being wasted on fraudulent overtime. Everyone loses all the same.

Wrong.

I have a choice to use a certain business. I do not have a choice in being pulled over by a cop. If I as a employee wrong a customer, the company pays. The city is liable because the cop is representing the city.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Here's the interesting thing I got from the article that no one other than Knitepoet has picked up on:

Records show on some of those tickets, the four cops listed each other as witnesses when they were never there, all to allegedly appear in court more often and collect more overtime.

This might get them in more trouble than the tickets.

As for the city not being held liable: seems like at least their supervisor should be investigated to make sure they were doing their job properly and making sure that was on the up and up. I know in other government jobs there's at least one level of oversight,and if it's a big enough problem the supervisor will get investigated, too.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Scams like this don't happen for very long without some degree of complicity by the big brass. Fire the police chief, hire a new one from out of town, and let the replacement clean up the mess. Sewage flows downhill, and I'll bet a new boss will deal with the ones below his level who allowed the practice to continue.
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Here's the interesting thing I got from the article that no one other than Knitepoet has picked up on:

Records show on some of those tickets, the four cops listed each other as witnesses when they were never there, all to allegedly appear in court more often and collect more overtime.

I thought that was the reason for all the tickets.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Yeah, but while everyone's getting all inflamed over the tickets (which are excessive) no one's seemed to worry much about the gaming the system for overtime. That, for some agencies, is a bigger sin than the tickets: falsifying records to get higher pay.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    My thoughts on that is that the city gets the fines, not the officer that writes them.
    The OT they scammed the system for is another story all together.

knitepoet wrote: »
    My thoughts on that is that the city gets the fines, not the officer that writes them.
    The OT they scammed the system for is another story all together.
    Yep. And that's what makes me think that some higher-ups are complicit or (at best) just lazy if the guys are earning enough overtime to make this worth their while, then their supervisors and someone up the chain should be checking up on this.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 381 Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Think about where you are pointing the finger.

The fraud perpetrated by these officers was done unknowingly to the city, almost certainly. Why sue the city? Their liability insurance will pay out the punitive money and then they will have less money in their budget when their insurance premium goes up, thus being detrimental to the people who live in and pay taxes to the city. Bad form.

Charge each of the officers with the appropriate criminal flavor of fraud, fire them for time card fraud, and make paying back the city all the fraudulent overtime money a condition of the restitution at conviction.

If police departments and municipalities would stop using velocity crimes as a revenue generator then I could see your point. I would also like for it to be illegal for insurance companies to donate radar guns to police departments. Depending on study, there is very little correlation between speed and safety, or lack thereof ..

As Bon Scott once crooned No Stop signs, Speed Limits Nobodies going to slow me down...