Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

TSA creating its own passenger watch lists

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Thanks to the GAO report, we now know that the TSA has modified the Secure Flight program so that it assigns passengers to one of three risk categories: high risk, low risk, or unknown risk. We've long been critical of this kind of passenger profiling—which the TSA has proposed in the past—because it inevitably leads to greater intrusion into individuals' private lives. And of course, it raises the question of what criteria and information the TSA uses to sort people into these categories.

The TSA is keeping those criteria secret, which is part of the problem. However, the GAO report states that the "high-risk" passengers aren't just those who appear to match a name on the FBI's No Fly, Selectee, or Expanded Selectee lists (as problematic as those lists may be). Now, the TSA is also using intelligence and law enforcement information, along with "risk-based targeting scenarios and assessments," to identify passengers who may be "unknown threats."

In other words, the FBI's flawed definition of someone who is a suspected threat to aviation security isn't relaxed enough for the TSA, so the TSA is creating its own blacklists of people who are hypothetical threats. Those people are also subjected to additional screening every time they fly. To make matters worse, another recently published GAO report indicates that the redress process for travelers who have been incorrectly caught up in the watchlisting system does not apply to these new TSA blacklists. So the TSA's "unknown threats" are truly without recourse.

Also noted there's a "whitelist" for millions of government employees, which allows them into the Pre-Check line. We could potentially join them in that line, if we're willing to give the government enough private information to prove to them that we aren't terrorists.

BTW this is a real award.

vlTo3MD.jpg

http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/23/aclu-tsa-now-using-hypothetical-threats#comments
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Just bend over grab yer ankles and smile next time you fly............:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    That award 'statue' reminds me a bit of the "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate" award from the Rowan and Martin show. And the FFF of F award would probably be more appropriate.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    That award 'statue' reminds me a bit of the "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate" award from the Rowan and Martin show. And the FFF of F award would probably be more appropriate.

I wonder where I can get one of those mounted turkey feet with the middle digit extended? That would be an appropriate item to put in a carry-on bag with a label "TSA, this is for you!"!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I wonder where I can get one of those mounted turkey feet with the middle digit extended? That would be an appropriate item to put in a carry-on bag with a label "TSA, this is for you!"!
    Jerry

Any competent taxidermist should be able to make one up for you! :tooth:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams