Home Main Category Clubhouse

Bay Pines VA Hospital in St Pete 1st Floor Evacuated

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Some employes being decontaminated by HAZMAT crews. No word on what the suspicious package is/was yet, if anything.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/09/24/baypines-white-powder/16150783/

Bay Pines, Florida -- A hazardous materials crew is investigating a suspicious white powder at the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center, formerly called the Bay Pines VA Medical Center.

An emergency drill was going on when someone in the mail center found an envelope with the powder inside it. A total of 22 people were exposed and are being decontaminated as a precaution.

The Pinellas County Department of Health is testing the substance. Initial tests show that it could be something dangerous, and so the testing will continue.

The office area where the powder was found has been evacuated, but the rest of the hospital remains open.

VA police and the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office will investigate to determine who mailed or left this powder in the office.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Just what I thought, false alarm. Some kinda "Protein" that turned out to be clay something or the other that was supposed to go to a VETS family.

Folks are jumpy, but that is to be expected in these times.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Glad that one was a false positive. Can't fault them for going in with the full decontamination and getting it contained.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Glad that one was a false positive. Can't fault them for going in with the full decontamination and getting it contained.

Knowing the VA ...I'm wondering if it were some cremated VETs ashes they misplaced!

They called it "Clay" on the news.

Dang, I wasn't far off....OK a clay foot:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/9/24/suspicious_package_f.html

"SEMINOLE --

A keepsake caused a false alarm at Bay Pines Hospital Wednesday morning.

Around10 a.m., an employee in the release office at Bay Pines found an envelope with a clay foot inside.

For whatever reason she thought it was suspicious. She called it in, and that’s what set off the whole ordeal.

Hazmat crews were already there for a training exercise. They quickly sprang into action.

The emergency department and the release office were evacuated. Employees were sprayed down.

The whole area was shut down a few hours before we got word the suspicious substance turned out to be a memento on its way to a deceased veteran’s family.

“This item is actually used for our hospice patients when they become deceased. This item is developed, made for them to symbolize their journey in life,” said Jason Dangel, Bay Pines Public Affairs.

Bay Pines quickly got back up and running. The public affairs office says operations really weren’t impacted today.

We don’t know how the item ended up in the release office. We’re told it wasn’t supposed to be there.

Officials tested it just to make sure everything was okay."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Well, that sounds typical. Only the government and its agencies are capable of screwing up something that simple. I hope the one that found the item and called it in got scrubbed down with those really stiff bristle brushes and some of that really good whitewall tire cleaner! :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good old hard yellow lye soap, HOT water, and a GI brush worked well for the barracks showers we gave a few recruits who didn't like to bathe. It only needed to happen to one guy, and the others with that problem got the message pretty quickly!
    Jerry
    Now another "HAZMAT" situation at another VA location, this time in Tampa at the VA Hospital Pharmacy close by.

Workers opened a piece of mail with suspicious power inside?????

Three were taken to area hospitals, as a precaution.

Hysteria or very strange coincidence??????

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/9/24/tampa_hospital_hazma.html