IFSM 300 help - IT uses for strategic purposes

centermass556centermass556 Senior MemberPosts: 3,509 Senior Member
I want to make sure I have a grasp in this concept.

So Information Technology and Information Systems has inundated the business world. Everywhere we turn a store or brand is asking us to join them on Twitter, Facebook, or watch a Youtube video. These companies in turn use Analytics to crunch this Messy data to find out the trends of their customers or potential customers. Additionally, companies are using analytics of goods and services so they can leverage Just In Time stocking. As goods are bought and scanned at the register, this registers and tells the main computer the new stock level of that product. Companies can stock goods based on how fast those products it is scanning sells compared to ones that don't sell.

A real life example could be the way REI uses Social media to see what products customers are currently interested in, or what the next new market will be. Along with that data, REI can store in a Data bank each way a customer interacts with the co-op. They can tell if the Anchorage Store has more mail orders for Ski pole than backpacks and if customer A buys more backpacking equipment than Customer B who buys mostly Bicycling equipment. For Mail orders, REI can tell if they have a enough mail orders from a market area that would benefit better from a store.

Is that correct?
"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,940 Senior Member
    Sounds good to me :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,757 Senior Member
    Pretty Much. They also buy information from Amazon and Google from tracking cookies of searches you have run, ads you clicked on, and products you viewed.

Which is why I am now getting inundated with SPAM on 20" bar chainsaws.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov