Home Main Category Personal Defense

Holsters, retention or tension ?

DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior MemberPosts: 9,496 Senior Member
Mentally, I am stuck on holsters with a retention strap of the snap type, after a couple of training accidents on obstacle courses where you shoot, holster and jump over or off obstacles to reach the next stage, very embarrassing to not secure your sidearm and have it fly out like a missle and you look like a fool, except nobody laughs, and as I was later told, there were two camps, those that had it happen to them, and those that realized it could happen to them.

I learned much in those days, and I am glad I learned personal defense from a LE perspective / training.

I always felt such intensive training was quite effective.

Given unlikely activities like running jumping, what is more effective as far as retention types, retention against accidental not intentional actions like disarming.
"There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    I've told this before, but I had a horizontal shoulder holster that had a snap. My 1911 fell out of my holster in the courthouse and bounced down the marble stairway. VERY embarrassing.

Can't remember the name of the company, but I called them and they disavowed all knowledge. For uniformed work, security from bad guys taking it out of my possession while wrestling with them was my chief fear. In plain clothes, I went for open tops, some with snaps, some without.

Use to be in IPSC matches you had to do a somersault with a holstered gun to test the security.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    I let intended use/activity dictate.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    Nowadays, since I'm back on the job, I prefer a holster that uses both...I still use a Blackhawk Sherpa, that utilizes tension and mechanical retention...

A few years back, a friend of mine was working undercover and was pocket carrying a S&W Bodyguard in his jeans pocket in a simple pocket holster....time came he needed it and when he drew, out it came...holster and all...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    I prefer a kydex holster that has built in retention (holds on the trigger guard and frame, not on the ejection port) for concealed carry. If I were going to carry in a duty type holster, it would be something along the lines of a Safariland ALS or perhaps a leather duty holster with a thumb-break strap. There's no way in hell I'd carry something I'd use as a life saving device in a Serpa.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    There's no way in hell I'd carry something I'd use as a life saving device in a Serpa.

I've heard all the bad stuff about the Sherpa....but I've also used one for years including back when I was competing...and I was a hell of a lot more active then than I am policing small town America...never had an issue. I've also heard about a few guys who shot themselves using a Sherpa...for the life of me, I can't figure out how they did it...other than pulling the trigger of course...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I've also heard about a few guys who shot themselves using a Sherpa...for the life of me, I can't figure out how they did it...other than pulling the trigger of course...

I'm not as flabbergasted by this as I used to be. My opinion used to be that only an absolute moron would shoot themselves while using a Serpa (fwiw, I carried both a 1911 and a Glock 34 in a Serpa for about a year each). After purposely being exposed to "simulated stress" type situations, my opinion has loosened somewhat. Now I'm more along the lines of, under stress, even not-dumb people can do dumb things. I still think it's a training issue, but when there are other holsters that offer the same level of retention, for the same price, WITHOUT placing your trigger finger in close proximity to the trigger, it seems like a training issue that's best avoided altogether.

What I really don't like about the Serpa is the exposed design of the paddle. What caused me to stop using the Serpa was having the paddle on the holster effectively cemented shut by a bit of gunk that got into it. Definitely NOT something that I want to be able to happen on a holster.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    The only "retention" holster I run these days and the past.........since they came out.......is the Serpa. Otherwise, it's a "tension" holster of various make/model.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I let intended use/activity dictate.
    :that:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Eli much wisdom there, I see myself might could be stupid or dyslexic, and even though a loud voice yells finger off trigger! !!! When I prepare to draw etc...

What is a good IWB holster with thumbreak / snap retention?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »

What is a good IWB holster with thumbreak / snap retention?

Like I said, I prefer just a solid kydex IWB holster (which uses tension and tight molding to hold the gun, not an active retention device), so I've never used an IWB holster with a thumb strap.

That being said, here are some that look like they would fit the bill.....

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2769.php

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum9518.php

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum11654.php
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Thanks Eli!