Home Main Category General Firearms

Glenfield 60

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,394 Senior Member
Sighted in a rough Glenfield Model 60 Saturday. It had a cheap scope on it which wasn't in focus at any range. It wasn't my rifle, I sighted it in for another person who wanted it sighted in at 25 yards.

It was ugly and abused. Still, shooting cheap Wildcat .22 ammo, it cut a single hole in the target after the scope was sighted. These Marlin rifles will shoot, regardless of how they look. Zero misfires.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,275 Senior Member
    A Model 60 was the first gun I ever bought, in 1968 for about $39 new. I still have it, and I could outshoot my cousins with it, that's all that mattered.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,345 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    A Model 60 was the first gun I ever bought, in 1968 for about $39 new. I still have it, and I could outshoot my cousins with it, that's all that mattered.

    Same for me except I think I got mine 78 and paid $69 for it. My brother and I put brick after brick of .22 wildcats (90 cents a box/50 back then ) through that rifle. It is still in my brother possession and still shoots just as good.

    Sako
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    I had the model 75, bought around 1975. Same gun but with a 16" barrel and the tube magazine stopped at the end of the forend.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I got mine in 95/96 fer $99 @ K-mart, hard to beat a Marlin Model 60. Has a medallion in the stock showing a man hunting/walking with a young hunter.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Did the same for a hunting buddy some time ago, but with a Mossberg 346b. Had to loan him a cheap 3-9x40 Tasco scope I keep as a spare and distance was 55 yards using Winchester SuperX RNHP. Despite so-so trigger, performance was great. Couldn't resist poor wood condition and ended up giving it a complete "on the house" rework (Removing cracked varnish, steaming dents, light sanding and oil finish) that rendered a nice wood grain & color.

    When I got my Ruger 10/22 (Late '90s), choice # 2 was the Marlin 60, but was finally sold to the detachable mag feature. Maybe if I had gone for the "traditional" option I'd still have the rifle, specially after testing a couple of Marlin beaters that had better trigger pull, reliability and accuracy than my then brand-new Ruger.

    Saw a brand-new one with laminated green-grayish stock and silver/stainless steel metal.....niiiiice!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,702 Senior Member
    Picked up what I thought was a Marlin Glenfield 60 this weekend.

    I was wrong.

    It's a Revelation 120 made for Western Auto Parts. Barrel code (no serial number) indicates it was made in October 1967...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've got one, it was a birthday gift circa '77. It's more accurate than I am and worthy of a decent scope. I'll probably take some squirrels with it once it gets cold.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    I finally put a scope on mine, haven't sighted it in yet. Maybe Wednesday.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    I finally put a scope on mine, haven't sighted it in yet. Maybe Wednesday.


    "Can you hit a coke can at 100 yards cold?"

    :)

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,540 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I LOVE store brand guns!!!

    Though nowadays I'm pretty much a rifle guy, for the first 2/3rds of my life I was a shotgun guy. The two best shotguns I've ever owned were a Sears & Roebuck (made by Hi-Standard) .410 pump and a J.C. Higgens 12 ga. pump with a Cutts Compensator.

    I'm almost ashamed of the quantity of pdogs I've killed with a rifle. I feel almost the same about the quantity of non-decoyed ducks that fell to those two shotguns. While I'll grudgingly opine that pedigree counts to some degree in a rifle, I've never found that to be the case with shotguns. I, too, love store brands......with shotguns, anyway.

    Mike

    edit to add.....Since this thread seems to be about rifles, I once had a Marlin 22LR, though I forget the model number. It was an M1 carbine replica, except it fed from a tube. Other than my somewhat tricked out 10/22T, it was the most accurate 22LR I've ever owned, and a ton of tree rats found that out the hard way.

    Unfortunately, of the three firearms I've mentioned, I no longer own any of them. One was stolen, one was a long-term loaner that got called back after several years, and the other I lost a critical part to that I wasn't able to find a replacement for.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    There were quite a few store branded firearms in the 50's and 60's when I was growing up. They started disappearing at the end of the 70's. J.C. Penny's, Sears and Roebuck, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, and several others bough firearms from the big names and had their logo on them. Good times back then.

    The model 60 is one of those designs that was right from the start. I've taken quite a few apart and cleaned them when they quit firing. It was amazing the amount of crud that could get packed in them, and they'd still run like a sewing machine. Only complaint I have with them is the trigger guard. The tab at the rear screw hole seems to break off too easily. It isn't well supported by the stock. That's an easy fix if you can catch it before it breaks and reinforce that area.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I love my 795, a model 60 with a mag instead of a tube. It's not as modifiable as a 10/22 but it doesn't need to be. It's lighter, more accurate, better trigger and cheaper. Sights, a trigger guard and paddle and maybe some lighter springs if you like and it's tough to beat. I have done 6 shots on steel target, 25 yrds or so in 1.5 sec with about a 1 inch group. I've hit at 100 yds pretty easily. It rarely jams if cleaned occasionally. Not bad for $135.00 rifle.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    Through the years I've bought and refurbished at least six of these little 22s that I've given to my sons friends as a starter rifle. Every one cleaned up well and shot even better. Great little rifles. I never paid more than $75 for any of them.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I've got one of the Marlin originals here that belongs to a friend that I'm refinishing the stock on and trying to take the rust off of with Steel wool and WD-40. It was in pretty ragged condition and the metal has some small pits, but It's cleaning up fairly well. I stripped the stock and rubbed it with wood filler and let it dry and sanded that off which got the scratches out, then stained it with a walnut stain, then sprayed it with satin polyurethane. I let it dry for three days as directed on the spray can and buffed it down with 0000 steel wool, tack ragged it, and sprayed it again. Tomorrow will be 72 hours since the last spraying and I will rub it lightly with 0000 steel wool again and spray it again. Three coats should fill all the pores in the wood. If it looks good, in a couple days I'll rub it with rotten stone, then wax it with Min Wax and probably call that good. This is how I finished the stock on my 8x57 which is a Boyd Pepper Laminate and it came out beautiful.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,394 Senior Member
    For rust on the barrel, try what my LGS taught me to use, a Chore Boy, one of those coarse stainless pot scrubbers. They will remove the rust and not harm the bluing. I know that doesn't sound right, but 0000 steel wool just won't get the job done with rust you can feel.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I love my 795, a model 60 with a mag instead of a tube. It's not as modifiable as a 10/22 but it doesn't need to be. It's lighter, more accurate, better trigger and cheaper. Sights, a trigger guard and paddle and maybe some lighter springs if you like and it's tough to beat. I have done 6 shots on steel target, 25 yrds or so in 1.5 sec with about a 1 inch group. I've hit at 100 yds pretty easily. It rarely jams if cleaned occasionally. Not bad for $135.00 rifle.

    Friend of mine got one of those brand-new since 10/22s weren't available at the time, and he has exactly the same experience & opinion that you wrote. Some trigger tweaking and he wouldn't trade it for 2 Rugers.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I LOVE store brand guns!!! As I told bream, they represent a period of our history we are not likely to ever see again. I posted here about my FILs Sears (Ted Williams?) brand 30-06, a wonderful '98 Mauser action made by FN in Belgium that in it's time was considered the "poor mans" Winchester model 70. I also posted here about the Western Field Mauser I picked up for a song in NC. That one is also an european commercial '98 action that swiftly became one of my most fun restorations and is currently a favorite rifle of mine.

    When I collected .22 Mossbergs the variations of store brand ones would drive you to drink. Had a few in spectacular shape and they were some of the best shooters I've ever owned. :cool2:

    Local Sears store also sold them back in the '60s. Grandfather bought there a bolt-action .22 Hornet rifle for him (Later lost in a fight against allegedly local Che Guevara's followers) and a Higgins 31 (High Standard) .22LR semiauto for his youngest son.
    Rifle showed feeding issues since day 1 and was eventually stored by my uncle. 30 years later he gave it to me with rust "freckles" all over it and a very dry stock. I found that the barrel's extractor slot was under-spec (Thus breaking constantly the extractor claws) and chamber had a burr that gripped the case, causing constant extraction issues and double-feed jams.

    Some Dremel, file & sandpaper work, few replacement parts and a good cleaning & lubing session later rendered a fully functional rifle in great shape. Added a modern scope with modified rings (To fit the narrow factory rail) and got an accurate plinker with some family history.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Yeah Gene, I think I'll get me a Chore Boy and try it. But one thing, steel wool or Chore Boy ain't gettin rid of those pits. This guy just left it to the elements too long and the metal is damaged to the point it needs some serious refinish and rebluing. But I did get all the rust with the steel wool and a spray or two of Liquid Wrench spray lubricant penetrating oil.

    Brownell's Rotten Stone is some fantastic stuff. It says on the jar to mix it with linseed oil, but I didn't because I used Poly Unrethane to finish the stock. I did this on my Mauser also. I put a lot of Min Wax on the pad and dipped it in the jar of Rotten Stone and rubbed it on the stock vigorously. This really puts a noticeable sheen on the wood of and beyond plain Min Wax. So I did it, the Rotten Stone and Min Wax in one step, and it came out beautiful. Just the right sheen. Made this cheap hard wood non walnut stock look like something that came on an old Holland and Holland or some other custom rifle. Even with some pitting on the metal this old Model 60 looks like a million bucks. Pictures to come. Gotta get a working camera.

    BTW, after looking at it again, I elected to forgo the third coat of Poly Urethane Spray and went ahead and did the Rotten Stone-Minwax treatment. I don't think a third spraying would have made enough difference to notice, especially with the Rotten Stone-Minwax treatment. It looks about as good as I could hope for.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Antonio wrote: »
    Local Sears store also sold them back in the '60s. Grandfather bought there a bolt-action .22 Hornet rifle for him (Later lost in a fight against allegedly local Che Guevara's followers) and a Higgins 31 (High Standard) .22LR semiauto for his youngest son.
    Rifle showed feeding issues since day 1 and was eventually stored by my uncle. 30 years later he gave it to me with rust "freckles" all over it and a very dry stock. I found that the barrel's extractor slot was under-spec (Thus breaking constantly the extractor claws) and chamber had a burr that gripped the case, causing constant extraction issues and double-feed jams.

    Some Dremel, file & sandpaper work, few replacement parts and a good cleaning & lubing session later rendered a fully functional rifle in great shape. Added a modern scope with modified rings (To fit the narrow factory rail) and got an accurate plinker with some family history.

    Also Antonio, I think the deal with the model 60 is that it's a simpler design than a 10-22, less to go wrong, and also the Ruger trigger out of the box SUCKS big time. But if you want to spend about $80 on the Ruger you can have a superb rifle. I put a few parts in mine and it transformed it from a rough out of the box piece of crap into an accurate fine rifle. The Ruger design is sound, although a bit more complicated, but it responds well to tweaking.
    However, having said all that, I plan on getting me a couple Model 60s and will eventually hand them down to my grand kids.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,394 Senior Member
    You can get rotten stone at a hardware store. I use it to knock the glass-like shine of a wood stock and mix it with olive oil.

    The trigger on every Model 60 I've ever fired had a terrible trigger, too. I like the tube magazine because it holds 18 rounds. You can definitely improve the trigger on a Ruger and probably on a Model 60.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Also Antonio, I think the deal with the model 60 is that it's a simpler design than a 10-22, less to go wrong, and also the Ruger trigger out of the box SUCKS big time. But if you want to spend about $80 on the Ruger you can have a superb rifle.........

    Too late; sold it to finance a much better (In all aspects) hunting gun: A CZ-452 Trainer. Back when I got the 10/22, it was the "best" brand new available option in our market (There are usually 6-12 months voids between new gun shipments; currently there are no 10/22s available in stores) but as soon as a very nice used CZ popped up, didn't hesitate. The Ruger did its intended job and served well, but an upgrade is always an upgrade.

    Alas, I ended up missing it since it's a representative semiauto easy to upgrade and improve to fit particular needs; might wait to see the "Anniversary" models a local gun store claims to be in process of shipping and eventually end up buying another one as a fun plinker. Too bad I didn't grab one of the .22WMR models when they were available.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,889 Senior Member
    Picked up a 60 and a Glenfield 75C a few months back for 100$ each. Love those guns, have another 60 with a camo stock steve gave me several years ago. That is what we grew up shooting.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,394 Senior Member
    Sold myself one today. New stock, $125. I think it's a Marlin, but may be a Glenfield. It's in parts now, but will be assembled by the end of the week.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I was doing an A/C call at a house this morning and I noticed a yard sale just a few doors down and when I eased over to check out what they had, I found a Glenfield 60 for 25.00. I own it now.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    2 of my favorite rifles are my marlin model 70 (60 but mag instead of tube) and a model 25. The magazines interchange and they wear matching simmons .22 mag scopes.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Oh you just SUCK!
    :that: I never find those garage sales.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I was doing an A/C call at a house this morning and I noticed a yard sale just a few doors down and when I eased over to check out what they had, I found a Glenfield 60 for 25.00. I own it now.

    Lucky Dog :guns::guns:

    How about some pics and range/plinker report?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yeah Gene, I think I'll get me a Chore Boy and try it. But one thing, steel wool or Chore Boy ain't gettin rid of those pits. This guy just left it to the elements too long and the metal is damaged to the point it needs some serious refinish and rebluing. But I did get all the rust with the steel wool and a spray or two of Liquid Wrench spray lubricant penetrating oil.

    Brownell's Rotten Stone is some fantastic stuff. It says on the jar to mix it with linseed oil, but I didn't because I used Poly Unrethane to finish the stock. I did this on my Mauser also. I put a lot of Min Wax on the pad and dipped it in the jar of Rotten Stone and rubbed it on the stock vigorously. This really puts a noticeable sheen on the wood of and beyond plain Min Wax. So I did it, the Rotten Stone and Min Wax in one step, and it came out beautiful. Just the right sheen. Made this cheap hard wood non walnut stock look like something that came on an old Holland and Holland or some other custom rifle. Even with some pitting on the metal this old Model 60 looks like a million bucks. Pictures to come. Gotta get a working camera.

    BTW, after looking at it again, I elected to forgo the third coat of Poly Urethane Spray and went ahead and did the Rotten Stone-Minwax treatment. I don't think a third spraying would have made enough difference to notice, especially with the Rotten Stone-Minwax treatment. It looks about as good as I could hope for.
    :
    Here's some pics of the finished product:

    IMG_0733_zpsc4d5be36.jpg

    IMG_0726_zps110ab5ff.jpg

    IMG_0727_zpsfbf0505d.jpg

    IMG_0735_zps659e58a8.jpg

    IMG_0734_zps2fc05c13.jpg

    IMG_0730_zpse6cbee24.jpg
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement