Health Care and those less fortunate

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,252 Senior Member
A few weeks ago (just after the forum died) I had an interesting occurrence. I got a knock on my door, and was asked by a teenager to come and help her grandparent, who had fallen down and was unable to get up. The other grandparent and the teenager were unable to help the grandparent up. Long story short, I got over there and the grandparent was on the floor with cold, clammy, gray skin, pain radiating out of their shoulder up their neck on the side opposite that which they fell on, and was beginning to babble incoherently.

911 was called as we could not move the grandparent and I did not feel comfortable rendering aid with neck pain and a possible head injury from the fall. Paramedics showed up and started taking a history, whereby it was revealed the grandparent was diabetic and had not monitored their blood sugar for several days. It was 591! The grandparent was taken to the hospital, where it was revealed that person had suffered a heart attack 2 days prior. Additionally, fluid was accumulating in the lungs.

The grandparent suffered a second heart attack and passed away after 5 days stay in the ICU of the hospital under constant monitoring, respirator use, and other heroic measures. The grandparent had to be ambulanced from 1 hospital to another to get the care. They had not monitored their blood sugar because they were on a combination Medicare/Medicaid, and the funds had run out for diabetic test strips and such when all the other meds for both grandparents were paid for.

It's brought up an interesting line of thought for me: how much did 5 days of that care cost? Considering the costs of the care and the 2 ambulance rides, how much in the way of diabetic monitoring supplies would that have paid for? These are all taxpayer-incurred costs, and I have no doubt they occur nationwide on a daily basis.

It then lead to my final thought: how much money is spent by taxpayers on an annual basis trying to provide intensive care for people who are low income and have conditions like heart disease and diabetes, disorders that will lead to hospitalization and expensive hospital bills if not monitored and maintained? In these cases, how much taxpayer money would be saved if monitoring was provided for free (still at taxpayer expense, I will grant) so that these expensive hospital visits were avoided?
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Hospital workers like Miss Mary refer to Intensive Care as "Expensive Care". The cost of heroic measures such as you've described is astronomical, yet even "for profit" hospitals and other health care facilities cannot refuse to treat a patient in distress simply because they're unable to pay up front. It would make a lot more sense to do at least some public-funded preventive care and avoid part of the costs associated with last-ditch emergency heroics. Some people are simply too proud to ask for help, while others might not know what's available. While we who have chosen to plan ahead for our medical needs might not be terribly sympathetic to those who are willing to let public funds provide for them, it still makes sense to provide at least minimal public-funded preventive care to try to avoid the more expensive emergency room procedures. The burning question is where to draw the line?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,666 Senior Member
    Yes, no, maybe. I have know idea on how to fix this problem. It's only going to get worse.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :angry::uhm: Some say that the Obama's health care reform is a hidden agenda for "euthanasia" for senior citizens. I can offer ya some insight on your last question Buford. My wife works and has worked the last 20yrs or so in Medical Coding. She receives completed medical charts from doctors,Hospital services, like X-ray, MRI's or what ever care and services were provided to the patient while they stayed in the hospital,and turns them into medical computer codes, that are then sent to the billing accounts receivable department. While not discussing the excat nature nor disclosing names, but in general terms, she has told me on several times, that she has done charts that the hospital bills Medicare/Medicade for, and they are up in the tens of thousands, and hundreds of thousands of dollars, for some of these seniors. These seniors ended up in the hospital for the very subject of your post, small medical items, that went unpurchased due to lack of money or funds on the seniors, part lack of care, and home monitoring, by quailified personal etc.

So to answer your question: It then leads to my final thought: how much money is spent by taxpayers on an annual basis trying to provide intensive care for people who are low income and have conditions like heart disease and diabetes, disorders that will lead to hospitalization and expensive hospital bills if not monitored and maintained? In these cases, how much taxpayer money would be saved if monitoring was provided for free (still at taxpayer expense, I will grant) so that these expensive hospital visits were avoided?

..............................The money spent by taxpayers is astonomical and down right avoidable,if the healtcare system in this country was properly managed.What I wrote above goes on everyday of every hour in this country, and its not like its a once a year occurance or a fluke, but every minute of everyday,every month every year, and :blah::blah: In most cases if the senior lives and gets discharged from the hopital they go back home, and ususally in a short peroid of time, the same ones are back in the hospital; brought in by way of ambulance, for the same occurance, that happened the last time. Note: Its not just the seniors that Medicare/Medicade pays for either, According to my wife illegal's of all types, the young females who become pregrent,and seek pre-natal care and have their baby in the hospital is running rampanted in this country too, with the expense on the tax payers of this country.....It doesn't stop at one kid either my wife says, she see charts from the same girls and families sometimes for two or three kids!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you know those kids automatically become US citizens also, since they are born here... Just the other day my wife said she and another coworker finished some Medicare/Medicade charts and billed them over 70,000 dollars, for what I don't know she can't disclose any details other than that. Whether the Medicade/Medicare pays all of that I don't know, they will probably haggle with the hospital, but you can bet your bibby, that we as taxpayers will subsidize that 70,000 dollars and excatly where all the money ends up is anyones guess....My wife also attest to the fact a lot of times that there are items of hospitalization, and related services that Medicare/Medicade absolutly refuses to pay for.. So there it is, a pretty expensive system on behalf of the taxpayers and I am afraid that it will get worse in the next two or three years....
    "It is what it is":usa: