Bowhunting: a sport with ups and downs

2»

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,431 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    22 deer killed on base so far, 4 or 5 were muzzle loader and the rest bow kills.

Must be a trend on bases to have primarily bow kills. I spoke to the base warden a while ago about gun hunting, and he said that gun season is the least productive season on base. It makes sense when you consider the crowd (both in size and...uhhh...woodsmanship level) that it brings.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Must be a trend on bases to have primarily bow kills. I spoke to the base warden a while ago about gun hunting, and he said that gun season is the least productive season on base. It makes sense when you consider the crowd (both in size and...uhhh...woodsmanship level) that it brings.

Not here, kill numbers will sky rocket once gun season comes in on the 18th.

On base it will be shotgun with slugs; but, as you know, slug guns really increase opportunities with increased range.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,431 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Not here, kill numbers will sky rocket once gun season comes in on the 18th.

On base it will be shotgun with slugs; but, as you know, slug guns really increase opportunities with increased range.

The problem with our base is that only 300 or so acres is gun huntable and A LOT of people apparently show up. There's a good amount of overall hunting area, but only a small section safe enough to shoot in (far enough from occupied dwellings, etc.) Once you slam such small woods with that much pressure, especially with the inevitable guys who are going to show up at or after legal shooting time and start setting up a climber, you can kiss any hope of a decent shot goodbye.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    We have some relatively large areas and an established number of hunters allowed in each of the 7 areas.

A extremely well managed program.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.