Be careful out there!

KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior MemberPosts: 3,244 Senior Member
Standing duty tonight at the VFD, got called out to assist lifting a patient. Wound up assisting in the rescue of a bow hunter who shot a deer and proceeded to slip on the first step coming out of the tree. He was 35 feet up in the tree adding in the lay of the land makes for a total fall somewhere between fifty and sixty feet. Remember, three points of contact and take your time. It's not the fall but that sudden stop that is the problem!
The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Most importantly....WEAR YOUR DAMN SAFETY HARNESS!

Yep! Had a guy that fell out of a tree stand some years ago...landed on his back on a stump fracturing his lumbar spine. Hauled him for nearly mile to an LZ...pretty much ended his hunting for a long time....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,939 Senior Member
    Most importantly....WEAR YOUR DAMN SAFETY HARNESS!

Sounds like even if this guy had been, he'd unclipped to come down. Main thing I've found is to have a rope for pulling up your pack, bow, and other crap after you're tied in.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Sounds like even if this guy had been, he'd unclipped to come down. Main thing I've found is to have a rope for pulling up your pack, bow, and other crap after you're tied in.

I would almost bet more people get killed or injured while hunting from falls from all kinds of blinds and stands than ever get shot.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    Multiple fractures, contusions, abrasions etc. Haven't heard yet how he is doing. At the very least his season is over, depending on how bad his leg is broken plus or minus the possible pelvic fracture, he could be out of service for a very long time. I don't think he had a harness, if he did the medics cut it off prior to my arrival. It was too dark to see his stand to see what it was.

Like I said, Be careful out there.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,218 Senior Member
    With a full-length rope system, even with a hang-on stand, climbing sticks/pegs and less than climb-along-harness friendly conditions, you win. Once you get it set up, you have an extremely easy to use hookup for all future climbs in that treestand. Better still, once you clip it on, you are tied in the entire way up, into, and out of the stand. Just slide the knot as you go.

At $35 - $40, they are well worth the cost. If you know how to tie a prusik knot, have a heavy duty carabineer, and access to cheap yet quality nylon rope, you can make one just as good.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Hunter-Safety-System-30-Treestand-Lifeline&i=401485&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=343031343835&kpid=401485&gclid=CjwKEAjwwdOhBRCG0fPrlfO1gGUSJAC1FmHXtu79ffLLnCBTtgwhy6RrI88LRB5W_-leiOwZrAR-pxoC8x3w_wcB

Seat-of-the-Pants.jpg
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,825 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    With a full-length rope systems, even with a hang-on stand and less climb-along harness friendly conditions, once you get it set up one time, you have an extremely easy to use hook up for all future climbs. Better still, once you clip it on, you are tied in the entire way up, into, and out of the stand.

At $35 - $40, they are well worth the cost. If you know how to tie a prusik knot, have a heavy duty carabineer, and access to a heavy cheap source for quality nylon rope, you make one just as good.

This...doesn't need to be expensive or high-tech to be safe...just some decent static rope and knowing how to tie a few knots...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    This...doesn't need to be expensive or high-tech to be safe...just some decent static rope and knowing how to tie a few knots...

I think I'll stick to my ground blinds or my main blind and feeder on my lease which is has a floor 3 feet off the ground. Of course I'm not bow hunting and I'm over looking a sendero which offers about 1100 yards of visible open area from one end to the other. Now that's not saying I have the possibility of 1100 yard shots. Looking down the sendero south west, it's about 400 yards to the fence, and up the sendero to the Northeast I can see about 700 yards. I've killed a doe shooting down the sendero which was a measured 200 yard shot. I shot a hog up the sendero at about 320 yards NE of my blind.I have seen deer crossing on up the sendero as far as 400-500 yards. I've seen ghosts of deer at probably 700 yards, hahaha! I say ghosts because I wasn't even sure they were deer. I didn't have my binos up when I saw them cross. I don't know for sure if they were deer. I think they were deer but I can't say positively. And I sure as hell can't tell you what kind of deer they were, whether shooter buck or small and illegal fork horn, doe, or spike. I had no clue.

But at least I'm not sitting 20-30 feet up in a tree. If I fall I might skin my shin, but I don't think I'm gonna break my neck.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    I hunt from ladder stands and I have been worried more than once about falling. I think I will add a safety harness to my kit after reading this. Can anyone suggest one?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Bad deal - 35 foot up in a tree? No way am I or my kids getting 35 foot up in a tree, that is high! 90% of the stands we use are 15 foot ladder stands and we make it MANDATORY that you use a safety harness, but we from what I have seen about statistics is getting in and out of the stands is when the majority of the accidents happen. We do not use a pulley system when getting in and out of the stands, we should, but it doesn't look all that practical?? Getting in and out of the stand is always the most important time to pay attention and go slow, this is always the part that makes me the most nervous, and I try to stress this to my kids. Had a buddy hanging a stand last fall 20 foot up in a tree last year without a harness and had to be life flighted out, after several back surgeries and broken bones from this he is slowly healing. I agree that there has to be more hunting accidents from falling from trees that getting shot.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 426 Member
    Like everyone else mentioned use a harness. I bought a new one last year a tree spider pricey but comfortable.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    Only problem is trying to find a harness that someone my size can get into.

I ain't seen one yet :nono:

Because of that, I'm mostly gone to ground blinds (shooting houses) but I do have a 15' ladder stand up that I'll be bowhunting out of.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

BigDanS wrote: »
    I hunt from ladder stands and I have been worried more than once about falling. I think I will add a safety harness to my kit after reading this. Can anyone suggest one?

D

Honest to goodness, if you aren't in a terribly large or small body category, I have grown to like the minimalist harnesses that come with most stands. Specifically, I REALLY like the tan ones that had the large plastic buckles included in stands about 8 years back (below).

p1285875794.jpg

The problem is that you don't know what the factory gave you for the included harness until you buy and open it. They seem to have gone to a lower profile metal clip on most factory-included harnesses. While that's good for folks who may have had issues with the larger buckles digging into their legs or butt when they sat, they are nowhere near as easy to adjust on the fly as the large buckles were. I personally never had a comfort issue with those bigger ones and wish they were more prevalent.

Bottom line from my perspective: the less material (i.e. bare webbing) the better. Any extra material on the shoulder straps that makes it look more "comfy" just gets in the way of accessing stuff in the chest pockets and makes it too hot to hike in with the harness already donned. That's more crap I have to carry in to reduce my already bad sweating situation.

Regardless of what we all think, try several, think about how it will impact your hunt and get what you think will suit you best. Whatever the case may be, always have it properly adjusted and wear it in the tree. All it takes is dozing off for a few seconds and slipping off of your seat to have it prove its worth. Also, always have the tension relief strap with you and know how to use it so that if you can't get back on your stand, you can prevent suspension trauma and death from blood pooling in you legs. I have sat in some very small hang-on stands, typically 20 ft.+ off the ground. There's no time when I'm so terribly at ease with that fact that I wouldn't think that a harness is essential.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Honest to goodness, if you aren't in a terribly large or small body category, I have grown to like the minimalist harnesses that come with most stands. Specifically, I REALLY like the tan ones that had the large plastic buckles included in stands about 8 years back (below).

p1285875794.jpg

That's the kind that came with my Summit stand. I love mine. Matter of fact, that's the same stand I have.

Most of the guys I hunt with.... Scratch that, ALL of the guys I hunt with don't wear one. I warm them but they think the same way I did before I had my slip on a ladder stand. Of it weren't for the shooting rail catching me (no, I didn't catch the trail, it caught me) I'd have at least broken my legs. Or my legs wouldn't caught in the rings below and flipped me on my head.

Life is too short and there's too many people depending on me. Wear your harnesses guys.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Only problem is trying to find a harness that someone my size can get into.

I ain't seen one yet :nono:

Because of that, I'm mostly gone to ground blinds (shooting houses) but I do have a 15' ladder stand up that I'll be bowhunting out of.

Be careful Paul. Got to be a harness you can wear.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,887 Senior Member

This my tree stand, I place it at the base of a tree and sit on it.

I only fell off once.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I only fell off once.

That sure explains a lot.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,717 Senior Member

HA!, Don't make Clean laugh until she is all healed up!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    The ones with a rope that wraps the tree and uses a Prussic hitch are the ONLY ones to use. Need slack? Slide the hitch down. Need it tighter? Slide it up.

Exactly. It's the easiest system out there and works the whole way up or down the tree. I even have a short rope version that I use with my climber. You move the whole rope and knot up as you ascend. It works the same way. For those who haven't used this setup the key to max safety is keeping the knot as high up and with the least amount of functional slack possible. This system excels at making this happen as fast as you can slide a knot.
    Buffco wrote: »
    That's the kind that came with my Summit stand. I love mine. Matter of fact, that's the same stand I have.

Most of the guys I hunt with.... Scratch that, ALL of the guys I hunt with don't wear one. I warm them but they think the same way I did before I had my slip on a ladder stand. Of it weren't for the shooting rail catching me (no, I didn't catch the trail, it caught me) I'd have at least broken my legs. Or my legs wouldn't caught in the rings below and flipped me on my head.

Life is too short and there's too many people depending on me. Wear your harnesses guys.
    Same on harness: mine came with my Summit Razor SS climber and it's the one I use the most.

I came into hunting late in life and have always worn a harness. The hunter safety course I took fatur d a video interview with a guy paralyzed most of the way down his back from a treestand fall. That was all of the urging I required.
    Yeah, I fell asleep and when I woke up there was a 5 pt making a scrape 20 yds away, I shot him while I was laying on the ground.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    NN wrote: »
    Yeah, I fell asleep and when I woke up there was a 5 pt making a scrape 20 yds away, I shot him while I was laying on the ground.

Didja shoot him with your .327? Speaking of, will that thing shoot .32 S&W Longs/Shorts? If so I'll bring some to the shoot, I've got a decent supply. May have some more .22LR again too that so far won't function in my semis
    Didja shoot him with your .327? Speaking of, will that thing shoot .32 S&W Longs/Shorts? If so I'll bring some to the shoot, I've got a decent supply. May have some more .22LR again too that so far won't function in my semis
    12 ga buckstot
    it will
    Cool deal Ned, I'll put your name on some of this stuff for next May.