Home Main Category Personal Defense

Rioting in St Louis now

2»

Replies

• KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    It was a "Peanut Butter & Jam" sandwich.

Groan...............:up:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It was a "Peanut Butter & Jam" sandwich.

Was that sammich made by Lorcin, Hi-Point, or Davis?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
  • topguntopgun Member Posts: 128 Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    They say the cop fired too many times?????

How many is too many in response to being shot at? Or maybe the idiots think he should have fired back in a measured type way, the same amount of times he was shot at?

That would be a **** way to do things.

Oh wait, everywhere across America hundreds of rounds are sometimes expended in police vs BG shootouts.

Oh wait, the Perp was black.........Cease Fire............may cause racial tensions.

The media rule is: Shoot, take pulse reading, shoot, take pulse reading, repeat as necessary. This rule only applies to white cops.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Years ago the Hillsborough County (Tampa area) Sheriff's Dept carried .41 Magnums S&W model 58s I believe, fixed sight version. I thunk one good hit with one would have eliminated the need fer follow on shots!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    The "one good hit" typically is the problem with most of the Police shootings that get reported.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    I am a bit confused though, the headline says the officer was off duty.......but later in the article reads that "while on patrol" the officer saw three men.......so was the cop on duty or not?

I'm not saying that the shoot was not justified cause the BG fired first, but if the media can not get it correct in the opening few paragraphs how are we to trust anything else they say?
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    gator wrote: »
    I am a bit confused though, the headline says the officer was off duty.......but later in the article reads that "while on patrol" the officer saw three men.......so was the cop on duty or not?

I'm not saying that the shoot was not justified cause the BG fired first, but if the media can not get it correct in the opening few paragraphs how are we to trust anything else they say?

The Officer was off duty working a department sanctioned second job in uniform.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Years ago the Hillsborough County (Tampa area) Sheriff's Dept carried .41 Magnums S&W model 58s I believe, fixed sight version. I thunk one good hit with one would have eliminated the need fer follow on shots!

It does not work that way, and that type of "thunking" can get you killed, you fire a fatal shot at an armed assailant, and he is still standing and able to return accurate fire ?

You need to incapacitate the shooter, so he cant continue to fire on you and kill you, that means you must fire enough shots to accomplish that goal, no duty handgun caliber can guarantee instant incapacitation / or a one shot kill.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    no duty handgun caliber can guarantee instant incapacitation / or a one shot kill.
    Yes they can. The highlighted area is the Hind Brain.

Though I am pretty sure I would not rely on this shot while I am being fired upon, it most certainly is possible with any duty gun. Just like a light switch.
    Do you know why no LE accademy or agency teaches head shots ?
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,738 Senior Member
    No department I've ever been associated with teaches head shots as the first choice. At least to begin with. The head is a small target and very mobile. Center of Mass "COM' is a larger target and a 'stopping' shot. Our drills teach "failure to stop" routine where two in the COM and a brain pan shot is taught at close range. The brain pan is about two inches by four inches and difficult to hit when under pressure.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    If all you had was a TC single shot pistol would you rather get a good hit with a 9mm or .41 Mag, I mean COM in the boilermaker, which do you think would be more effective?

Which would you choose if you had ammo/bbls for both knowing it was your one and only shot and you would need it, but had confidence you would put it where it counts?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I would not carry a single shot of any kind, I carry a full size sidearm, a Glock 17,

I like the .41 Magnum, I would like a S&W in .41 Magnum, please send me two.
    two would be ideal for EDC.

Even though I can place shots pretty well,

I shoot the way I was taught in main stream LE training, head shots are not routine procedure.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Do you know why no LE accademy or agency teaches head shots ?
    I don't know how this question applies. You made a declarative statement about the inability of a duty firearm, to cause a guaranteed one shot kill. I refuted with an example of a target that is a one shot kill, with any duty firearm I know of and then some. I never said you should, that is up to you. If you had said "aside from hind brain shots....." No problem here.

My personal philosophy is simple. If I am forced to use my firearm in self defense, or in defense of another, I will fire until there is no longer a threat to myself or another. That could include anywhere from one shot to multiple reloads if needed. It also includes "any" target the attacker/s present to me.
    Not as a carry, but just what was available to you.
    "Tests show gunpowder residue on teen shot by off-duty St. Louis cop"

"ST. LOUIS – Gunshot residue was on the hand, waistband and shirt of an 18-year-old man killed by a St. Louis police officer, authorities said Tuesday."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/15/tests-show-gunpowder-residue-on-teen-shot-by-off-duty-st-louis-cop/?intcmp=latestnews
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    "Tests show gunpowder residue on teen shot by off-duty St. Louis cop"

"ST. LOUIS – Gunshot residue was on the hand, waistband and shirt of an 18-year-old man killed by a St. Louis police officer, authorities said Tuesday."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/15/tests-show-gunpowder-residue-on-teen-shot-by-off-duty-st-louis-cop/?intcmp=latestnews

It was planted on him...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    OK, so he fired a gun, dont mean he meant to shoot the officer he was only trying to scare him. He didnt have to shoot him dead. :bang:
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    It's Bush's fault and it could have been Obammy's son :tooth: :whip2: :whip2:
    It's Bush's fault and it could have been Obammy's son :tooth: :whip2: :whip2:

Looks like there will be fewer sons as CCW numbers increase, here in Portland Oregon the complaint is that the Deputy fired more than one shot, people could care less that the man shot at a Deputy.