Speaking of muzzleloaders

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 10,154 Senior Member
I was wondering what powder charge you use with a .50 caliber round ball. I was running about 60 gr. of FG for target shooting, which is pretty close to .357 ballistics. (with a 6" barrel.) Round ball for a .50 is about 180 grains.

So for hunting, I assume you'd go higher than that...right? What's your load?
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,342 Senior Member
    I've used 75-80 grains of 3-Fg behind a patched round ball with pretty good success on deer. I usually get a pass-through shot out to 75 yards or so, or the ball is just under the skin on the off side. Fg is way too coarse for good performance in a .50 cal and FFg is usually used for .54 caliber and above.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I've used 75-80 grains of 3-Fg behind a patched round ball with pretty good success on deer. I usually get a pass-through shot out to 75 yards or so, or the ball is just under the skin on the off side. Fg is way too coarse for good performance in a .50 cal and FFg is usually used for .54 caliber and above.
    Jerry

I've used 70 grains of Tripple Seven. It worked fine when it went off. That's why I recently at the suggestion of Tenn Mike and I think Teach went to Pyrodex, but I havent shot it yet. I'm thinking 70 grains would work with the Pyrodex too, but I'll drop it down to about 60 and tweek it up from there to make sure it's safe.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,154 Senior Member
    FG and Cartridge is the only BP I have, except some 3F for my .32. So I'm stuck with it. I figure if I tamp it down well, it'll work, although maybe not give optimal performance.

I've got the Lyman Great Plains rifle, a good rifle and pretty accurate. As soon as I got it, I removed the blue furniture and browned it, which I like better. I also, somewhere, have one of those lights you slide down the bore and it lights up the bore so you can see how clean it is. I don't know if they still make them, but they're great!
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Jerry's 75-80 grains of 3F is a good load. You can go up to 90 grains of 2F if your patch will stand it. Main thing is to shoot it with different charges until you find the sweet spot for that rifle, powder, and patch. Find the accuracy load, put the ball where it counts, and it will do the job.

I shoot conicals hunting, and for .45 cal. my load is 70 grains volume of Pyrodex with the Lee R.E.A.L. bullet, and 90 grains volume for the .50 cal. T/C with a Maxi Ball. Gives me good accuracy in the two selected rifles, and plenty of velocity. My .50 T/C White Mountain carbine likes 80 grains volume of Pyrodex with the Maxi Ball.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    I agree with Teach, 80gr. of Pyrodex"P". (FFFG equiv.) for .50 cal inline or sidehammer.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    I've always used 3f GOEX in my .50cals. 2f will work fine, but I'm totally inexperienced in BP substitutes. Play around with your powder charge and you'll find the sweet spot giving the very best accuracy, and I'm sure that this will hold true regardless of what powder granulation you use. The old rule of thumb is that you need a charge that will burn and give the maximum pressure/gas expansion just as the projectile reaches the muzzle exit point. In my .50 with a 48" barrel the charge was 78gr 3f. In my 44" barrel H.House rifle it was 72gr 3f. The patch thickness and lubrication used also plays a role as I'm sure you know.
    I don't have extensive experience with BP, although I've owned a BP rifle since 1970. I'll have to make do, I guess, which doesn't matter much because I only shoot paper. I've shot Pyrodex in my .32, but it wasn't as accurate as BP.

I used to have, a long time ago, a TC "New England Squirrel Rifle." At least I think that's what it was called. I got rid of it a long time ago. It was a .36 caliber, and a half-stock rifle, percussion. Wish I'd kept it. Now, I can't find any reference to it, so I wonder if it was a faulty memory.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    I'm just going to use my powder measure, which has BP Equivalent hash marks with the corresponding weight equivalent to black powder engraved next to the appropriate hash mark. I know it doesn't weigh the same as that much black powder, but this is volume not weight. This crap gives me a headache,

:silly::silly::silly: :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,493 Senior Member
    80gr of 3F in a GPR will work well. Mine liked it a little warmer and gave awesome results at max loads of 3F and a tight patch (.018???) and a .495 Hornady. FG may not develop the speed, 60 gr will not be enough to get a decent velocity. Put it across a cronograph and find out. The deer I took with it was stepped off at about 88 yards and it was a pass through. My steps are pretty close to correct, I used to mark underground cable so I am pretty sure there isnt much added "story length".

Lyman calls a max load at 90 of 3F and 110 of 2F. If it is a caplock, then you should be able to get Pyrodex to ignite.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Gene, If you are getting good accuracy with 60 grains of powder, I wouldn't change a thing. 60 grains will send a patched round ball completely through a deer, as far away as you are comfortable shooting at them. Keep yer powder dry........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    I don't hunt, was just curious. I hate getting up early to freeze in a tree. I haven't shot the gun in a year or two, had in fact "lost" it until I looked behind the door in my extra bedroom, and there it was.

Need to warm it up a bit, make some smoke.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06