Hunt with Muzzle loader.

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberPosts: 1,705 Senior Member
Any of you guys hunt deer with your muzzle loaders during modern gun season? I'm thinking of carrying my Kentucky rifle during modern gun season... Would like to bloody it some....Leave the in-line in the" barn".

Replies

• JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    do it every year..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,487 Senior Member
    Yep, on and off. It depends on my mood and where I am going to hunt, but I carry the flintlock a lot.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    If I don't get a deer during muzzleloader season I just hunt with the muzzleloader during regular gun season. Beats wasting the load in it by shooting it out, or removing the breech plug and knocking it out the back. Since I only hunt on my farm now, it's no big deal. Then I clean it, and drag out a centerfire for the rest of the season.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,337 Senior Member
    I use my Pennsylvania flintlock a lot, no matter what season is open. Unless I'm hunting an area where the shots are likely to be over 100 yards, there's no really good reason for a centerfire rifle. A patched round ball works just as well as a saboted conical or a lot of other projectiles, and I haven't yet encountered a deer that refused to fall down because I didn't use some sort of meat-destroying uber-magnum on it. The old saying about moderate velocity rifles shooting cast bullets was "Eat right up to the bullet hole!"
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Don't care about hunting so much any more since I work most of the time, but for probably the last 30+ years all I used was one of my flintlocks. Busted everything from squirrels to bear with them.....they work believe me! Plan on a little squirrel hunting this year, and will use my little .32cal flintlock squirrel rifle. If anyone has a copy of the summer 2013 "American Tradition" magazine (doubt if anyone does!) my squirrel rifle is pictured at the very top of page 46.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,940 Senior Member
    If I'm going to hunt with a muzzle loader, it has to be during the regular season. The State has set our season to open in September when it's just too hot to hang a deer at all. I prefer to wait til the temps drop...November would be better....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    If I'm going to hunt with a muzzle loader, it has to be during the regular season. The State has set our season to open in September when it's just too hot to hang a deer at all. I prefer to wait til the temps drop...November would be better....
    That's one reason I didn't go this weekend. A little too warm. I have 4 tags and Nov.modern gun season will be here before long , then two weeks in dec. Lot's of time left.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Our regular rifle season starts on November the first this year and I believe it closes on January 4th. Then on January 5th Muzzle Loading Season begins and lasts for two weeks, closing on the 18th. As much as I've been bitten by the ML bug, I still like to shoot my center fire rifles in regular rifle season. So I wait until ML season before dragging out the smoke pole.

However, we only are allowed one license worth of tags through both seasons, so it's not like we can shoot extra deer.Make that three seasons, because I forgot archery season>. In the county we hunt deer, that's only 4 deer a year total. That's two bucks, one a spike or antlerless buck, and one that measures 13 inches inside the beams. We can shoot two does but we have to shoot those in November, so unless I see a really nice buck I'm probably doe hunting in November.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Our archery season beings in October, don't ask me the day, because I don't know off the top of my head, then regular rifle season starts on November 1st this year and I believe it closes on January 4th. Then on January 5th Muzzle Loading Season begins and lasts for two weeks, closing on the 18th. As much as I've been bitten by the ML bug, I still like to shoot my center fires too. So I wait until ML season before dragging out the smoke pole.

However, we only are allowed one license worth of tags through all three seasons, so it's not like we can shoot extra deer. In the county we hunt deer, that's only 4 deer a year total. That's two bucks, one a spike or antlerless buck, and one that measures 13 inches or larger inside the beams. We can shoot two does but we have to shoot those in November, so unless I see a really nice buck I'm probably doe hunting in November.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Tennessee is a meat hunter's paradise. Over half the counties in the state have a 3 doe a day limit from late September to early January. 3 bucks all year, but almost unlimited does. Yes, we are that overpopulated on deer, and limiting the bucks' breeding opportunities is the only way to keep things under control.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Tennessee is a meat hunter's paradise. Over half the counties in the state have a 3 doe a day limit from late September to early January. 3 bucks all year, but almost unlimited does. Yes, we are that overpopulated on deer, and limiting the bucks' breeding opportunities is the only way to keep things under control.
    Jerry

Around here in Texas they still let the land owners have a lot of stroke when setting up seasons and limits. There's this prevailing attitude or opinion among them that the does are somehow sacred to the heard and the more you have the better your numbers. But what you said is very true and as long as the majority of the land owners are allowed to keep putting their ignorance into the decision making we will keep having large numbers of degenerate deer, I don't care what minimum size racks they stipulate. Parks and Wildlife preaches the Buck-Doe ratio thing but the land owners don't get it. The bottom line is Money talks and BS walks.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,994 Senior Member
    I wish I had easy access to a zone where that was a reasonable thing to do. I'd like to play with my .44 revolver and alternate guns, if for no other reason than to see the different terminal effects, but in a fork+ only, 3% success rate area, Murphy states that the 300 yard shot will present itself the second I'm not armed with a weapon that can make it.

You guys who are tripping over deer on your way to the driveway - count yourselves fortunate.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    My state is a shotgun only state... no rifles.. But I take my BP every time.. more accurate that any shotgun..
    Jayhawker wrote: »

It can be hot here in December. Well if you call 80-85 degrees hot. We, or rather some of us, carry a 150 quart ice chest with at least 40 pounds of ice on a warmer day. If we shoot someting and it's even 75 degrees we quarter it out quickly and put it on ice. Never spoiled any meat like that. And after 4-7 days on ice, draining the bloody water off and adding fresh ice daily the meat gets pretty nice.

Edited to Add: also you need to be sure to keep the head until you get it processed and frozen as proof of what it was.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    Yes I do, and I do not own an inline. I have enough guns to arm a small country, but black powder is in my blood. I have two rifles that are up to the job, a .50 caliber percussion ,hawken replica, hence my user name, that I built 30 years ago, and a .54 caliber Lyman Great Plains Rifle, flintlock I also have a 20ga SBS double, a .32 caliber squirrel rifle and a couple of .44 caliber revolvers. Keep yer powder dry...........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    OK now Teach and cpj, I have an important question for you.....!

Your Whitetail population is way high, right? Youn's got any COYOTES?
    We're up to our hips in coyotes around here, also have more deer than we know what to do with....I'm not convinced that coyotes have all that much of an impact on deer populations. I know that they take them on occasion, but think they focus on smaller critters for the main part of their diet... I see coyotes mousing in the same pasture with deer all the time...and the deer don't really seem to give the coyotes much notice...
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Do you round ball shooters pre cut your patches or do you use a patch knife as you go.
    IMGP00012_zps46e93043.jpg
    I keep a few in the loading block, but there is also some spare pillow ticking and a patch knife in the bag.....
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Tennessee is a meat hunter's paradise. Over half the counties in the state have a 3 doe a day limit from late September to early January. 3 bucks all year, but almost unlimited does.
    Jerry

Ummm..........does this apply to out of State hunters?????...Ken
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    KENFU1911 wrote: »
    Ummm..........does this apply to out of State hunters?????...Ken

Yes, but not in every county......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Unit "L" covers approximately half the counties in the state, mostly all of Middle Tennessee and parts of the area west of the Tennessee River. The quota is 3 does a day for archery, muzzleloader and centerfire season. There's a massive overpopulation problem and the deer are doing severe crop damage in lots of areas.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/deerseasons.html

We're right in the middle of Unit L, due south of Nashville near the Alabama state line. Robin (Hawken) is about 50 miles northwest of our place.
    Jerry
    Unit "L" covers approximately half the counties in the state, mostly all of Middle Tennessee and parts of the area west of the Tennessee River. The quota is 3 does a day for archery, muzzleloader and centerfire season. There's a massive overpopulation problem and the deer are doing severe crop damage in lots of areas.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/deerseasons.html

We're right in the middle of Unit L, due south of Nashville near the Alabama state line. Robin (Hawken) is about 50 miles northwest of our place.
    Jerry

With that many does, it's a wonder you have Any Fork Horned Deer. We too have an imbalance of does to bucks. But it's like maybe two or three to one in most places. And if all of our landowners would listen to Parks and Wildlife and kill off some of their does, we won't have that problem.

You can tell the places with game fences that properly manage their deer herds where their doe to buck ratio is at most two does to one buck and if properly managed over time right at 1 to1, there are many more trophies there.

A 1 to 1 ratio and a good policy of eliminating genetically inferior bucks almost assures the land owner of a good crop of trophy bucks. The reason for this is obvious if you think about it, because the dominate buck will breed first and knock up the doe. And less does per bucks, the less likely the genetically inferior bucks will have an opportunity to breed, or at least make a doe pregnant.

So you can surmise from this, that if you don't allow does to be killed, you will have more deer. The problem is you will have a genetically inferior herd. And remember this, inferior antlers are just an indicator of inferiority, and there can be other problems with your deer. More disease ridden is one thing that comes to mind.
    All the above is good to know, but one thing I didn't stress here is that you shouldn't shoot every spike you see. Some two year old deer will have just two points, and they can be as long as 3-5 inches long. I've seen em. But what to look for is year after year you see the same deer with those two spikes. If you see a three year old deer with a set of spikes, just think "Backstrap" and blast him. Take him out of the herd before he breeds again.