How many sight pin do you have on your bow?

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberPosts: 1,705 Senior Member
After reading the post "? for bow hunters " I was wondering how many pins are enough for hunting bows. My take is with a target bow three pins for closer alighment to bulls eye, but with a hunting bow one pin set at 25 yds should be ok. If set at 25 yds and a deer is at 30yds, the shot will be in the boiler room. If deer is at 20 yds, should be in the boiler room also. No decision as to which pin to use, just use the pin available. I only set my bow up with one pin, 25 yds. What are you guy's opinion? I don't realy bow hunt but thinking seriously about trying it.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    I use a 5-pin: 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. I am not a fan of "close enough" as a going-in plan and that's holds doubly true in bow hunting. Even between 20 and 30 yards, I don't like the diffence in drop/POI with my bow setup enough consider using a 25 yard pin for either. Obviously, the further out you go from there, the uglier the difference between 10 yard increments gets. With dialed-in pins, I feel comfortable out to 50 yards and would push that out to 60 if the deer of a lifetime was being very cooperative and windwas calm.

As for a dial-a-distance 1-pin rig, I don't think I would like it. I have heard too many stories ending in, "but I forgot that I was set up at XX distance and shot over/under the critter." With the pins laid out before you, you get feexback on where you are looking relative to where you should be.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    When I was bowhunting, it was one or none. The compound one pin was good from 17-28, the recurve, no pin.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,945 Senior Member
    I've still got the seven pins that came with my sight, and have them set in ten yard increments from 20 to 80 yards - though my confidence with a bow drops off sharply past 40. I can see the appeal to having one pin for simplicity and rolling instinctive for hold-off, but if all I really need to worry about are the top three, I don't see the rest as being an obstacle.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,491 Senior Member
    # pins 20, 30, & 40yds. I also marked several trees at the same ranges.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    1 pin... sighted dead on for 28 yards... I aim at the heart and any range to 30 and I'm in the kill.... over 30 it's a miss... or I adjust.. but I try not to shoot over 30...
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,685 Senior Member
    One pin, sighted in at 25 yards. I believe in KISS.........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    none
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I also marked several trees at the same ranges.

Drank a lot of coffee, huh?
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,491 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Drank a lot of coffee, huh?
    :tooth:
    Jerry

Have to mark my territory.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    4 pin, 20, 30, 40 & 50 but do not like to take a shot at deer much beyond 30 - coyote or turkey, I am launching out to 60.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,500 Senior Member
    5. 20-60 yards. I like small groups. I'm not shy out to 50, haven't practiced much at 60 lately. There was a time when tennis balls at 60 yards were in grave danger.