Hunting trip report!

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,809 Senior Member
Had an awesome time in the "hills" win my buds last week. My friend shot the only elk of the trip, didn't see any other elk all weekend. Any way we saw the elk opening morning at 797 yards away! My friend is a very, very accomplished long range shooter he said "I can make that shot." He checked his dope sheet, re ranged to target and shot........spined her! Her head was still up and he said "I'm going to put her down, head shot." He shoots and a head shot! Unbelievable, unbalievable! She weighed 309 on the rail, big ole gal!
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    Wow
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,108 Senior Member
    Nice.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Far beyond my capabilities. I'm impressed, especially with the head shot finisher.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,809 Senior Member
    Far beyond my capabilities. I'm impressed, especially with the head shot finisher.
    Mine too! He was shooting the same rifle at 1300 he week before!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,339 Senior Member
    Should have been a chip shot with that .348, just hold a little high:tooth: Tell your buddy congrats.

Sako
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,016 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Should have been a chip shot with that .348, just hold a little high:tooth: Tell your buddy congrats.

Sako

.348 What?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    .348 What?

Winchester 71 in 348 wcf. I took it elk hunting last weekend. I have to tell you ,Sako, there is just something right about wearing pennelton wool shirt, filson vest and packin' a 71 in the mountains!
    sakodude wrote: »

Sako

"A little high he said" hummmm I think the hold over is 4592 inches at 800 yards right?;-)
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,703 Senior Member
    Congrats to your friend. That's a long way to shoot at anything smaller than a mountain.

I've been hunting the back 40 all week, and have only seen two bulls. One looked to be a nice 6x6. The other made him look small in comparison. The only problem is that I have a cow tag, and the bulls were on private land. The land happened to belong to a friend of mine, so I called him when I got home. Turns out he has leased the hunting rights out.

I may go out again tomorrow, but the hot, dry weather has made it tough to even locate fresh sign.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,032 Senior Member
    Elk creek, your friend made a great shot on that cow. Hot & dry weather made elk hunting extremely difficult this year in Wyoming. Last year we had cold temps & snow, I got a sunburn this year...and a 5x5 bull. He was hanging with other bulls around a spring. Got an old, heavy 3x3 mulie on the way out. I'm the only one who got an elk, out of 6 hunters in camp.
    Hot and dry is the word alright! Congrats on your hunt! We drove brought Laramie and talked to some guys there not much more success around there either
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,032 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Hot and dry is the word alright! Congrats on your hunt! We drove brought Laramie and talked to some guys there not much more success around there either

Thanks Elk creek, I'm going back to camp this afternoon. I don't expect much, but still it is hunting, and lots more fun than repairing a fiberglass door and hood on a '63 Studebaker Avanti that I have in my shop. I'll probably go back up in November around Thanksgiving to try to fill my cow tag.
    Hopefully there will be snow then! Good luck!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,339 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Winchester 71 in 348 wcf. I took it elk hunting last weekend. I have to tell you ,Sako, there is just something right about wearing pennelton wool shirt, filson vest and packin' a 71 in the mountains!

Kind of brings back memories of the old Winchester hunting posters no doubt. Makes me wish i was there.

Sako
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sounds awesome, I would love to go on a great elk hunt!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    It was a great time! I wish I was still there.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,520 Senior Member
    Good deal! That's one heck of a shot!