Been getting ready for hunting

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 23,967 Senior Member
Been getting ready for 3 days now off and on.

Finding stuff, getting organized, loading the gear in the boat, sprayed some clothes for bugs, etc.

Seems harder this year.

Now if I can get out of bed in time.
A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    Gonna need a wake up call?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Naw
    Clean goes to Navy Relief tomorrow so she will get up soon enough.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Good luck Mr. Ned It's supposed to be 80 degrees here Friday but there was lots of shooting up the creek during early Teal season and the geese are honking overhead late at night. From your earlier posts I assume lack of water won't be an issue. Keep us posted on your hunts, I really enjoyed those over the last few years.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,729 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Tree rat contest again?

You just love losing! :jester:
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
    cpj wrote: »
    Tree rat contest again?
    I think we ran that as far as we can
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    Good luck, hey, tell Clean to splash some cold water on you on her way out, it ain't duck hunting unless your a little cold and wet.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Hey, it is just tree beasts, other stuff is still out.

Gun deer starts Sat, so after that I'll have slugs or something along just in case.

Clean will have me up so she can make the bed before she leaves.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,927 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Been getting ready for 3 days now off and on.

Finding stuff, getting organized, loading the gear in the boat, sprayed some clothes for bugs, etc.

Seems harder this year.

Now if I can get out of bed in time.

You need a boat for tree rats!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    You need a boat for tree rats!
    Have to get across the creek somehow
    actually I can get to the area's back door faster and don't have to walk as far.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member
    Have to get across the creek somehow
    actually I can get to the area's back door faster and don't have to walk as far.

Man, if I lived up there close to ya I'd be bothering you all the time to go Duck and Treerat killin. And they both good to eat.

Hey Ned, you ever fry turkeys? Some of the best wild duck and goose I ever ate was some my sons and nephews fried in a turkey fryer. What we did was get a brine pump and shoot them all over the breast with a mixure of liquid garlic, liquid onion, some hot sauce (my favorite for this is about a cap full of Yucateka Habanero sauce. A little goes a long way.) and that should do it. Then use your favorite Rub, rubbing it all over outside and inside the body cavity. Then leave it marinating in the refrigerator over night. Then bring the oil in a turkey fryer up to about 340-350 and baptize that bird in the holy oil. With a normal size adult puddle duck such as a mallard, Pin-tail, Wigeon, or Gadwall, somewhere around 20 minutes or until it floats. Don't over cook em. But I'm telling you, this made some of the most fantastic duck and goose I EVER ate. Actually, I don't go by time as much anymore, but once I see it floating I'll give it a couple minutes more to make sure.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Couple of times we fried a turkey.
    So, this AM Clean threw me out of the house about 0815, SO:

The middle squirrel made it in to a hollow root and died.

When I could not find the squirrel, I stuck a stick in the hole and got hair, looked in with a flashlight and there it was dead right there,
    then it took 20-30 minutes of fishing for it with a greenbrier vine before I got a hold on the hair of the hide and pulled it out.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,664 Senior Member
    Looks like CPJ is going to be making waffles again
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I thought that the penalty from last year was permanent.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Might as well be.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Couple of times we fried a turkey.

Try it on them ducks.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    As of tomorrow morning we have one week before centerfire rifle deer season begins. I still haven't gone to the lease and set up my feeder. Monday morning, Son in Law or not, I'm going out and setting up things. I have 250 pounds of corn and I'm ready to go do it. My son in law has a full weekend planned for him by my daughter so I may just kidnap my Grandson and we may go out and do it. Then next Saturday, you know who will be with me. No not my wife, she's got to work. It will be my grandson. He who helps me set things up gets first crack at deer.
    Once when I was in Japan, a Sgt brought me a duck someone shot. A Pacific Black Duck I believe.

I was living in a BOQ so all the cooking I could do had to be in a clay Hibachi or ele fry pan.

I split it in half and pad fried it
    ate it with a bottle of red wine that was greased with a few drinks while cooking; it was wonderful.
    Once when I was in Japan, a Sgt brought me a duck someone shot. A Pacific Black Duck I believe.

I was living in a BOQ so all the cooking I could do had to be in a clay Hibachi or ele fry pan.

I split it in half and pad fried it
    ate it with a bottle of red wine that was greased with a few drinks while cooking; it was wonderful.

The key to eating ducks is to always drink the wine first. Then you don't give a flip what the duck tastes like, or anything else for that matter,

:rotflmao:

Actually I think I had a few when I ate that turkey fried duck. Maybe that's why I thought it was so good,

:roll2: :roll2: :roll2:
    Snake, you just ain't cultured :angel2:
    Snake, you just ain't cultured :angel2:

Hey Ned, I've been accused of smelling worse than Lindburger Cheese. Is that cultured or what?

:vomit: :yikes: :rotflmao:
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=NN
    The middle squirrel made it in to a hollow root and died.

When I could not find the squirrel, I stuck a stick in the hole and got hair, looked in with a flashlight and there it was dead right there,
    then it took 20-30 minutes of fishing for it with a greenbrier vine before I got a hold on the hair of the hide and pulled it out.[/QUOTE]

Ned, I had a rabbit do the same thing about 40 years ago. I shoved a forked stick up the hollow, and twisted it in the fur, til it caught, and pulled it within reach.........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Neat