Got a red dot for the AR

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 6,239 Senior Member
Just couldn't bring myself to drop the coin on an Aimpoint or EOTech. Could hardly find any bad reviews of the Vortex Strikefire II so I ordered one last week. The big brown truck delivered today. It has a red/green dot option, adjustable brightness, auto off. Should be fine for a rookie like me and the plinking I'll do.

Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Looks good Don, let us know how it works for you. But can I ask a question of all you AR owners? I see these pics of AR optics all the time and they sure seem like they're mounted awful high, especially considering all the ARs I've shouldered at gunshows etc. Where the seem to have lower cheek welds. I like my scopes mounted as low to bore axis as possible.

What am I missing?
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,239 Senior Member
    From my VERY limited knowledge...It's to be able to still use the iron sites if the optic fails.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,332 Senior Member
    I've been givng my Vortex SPARC quite a workout of late....it's holding up nicely...

Razor....to answer your question...if you are running optics only on an AR...like the 3-9X I have on my coyote/deer rifle you can mount them in any position you want, if you are running a red dot or similar optic that you want to co-witness with your BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights) they are generally mounted a tad higher....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,649 Senior Member
    It just looks higher because the stock on an AR is in line with the barrel. On a normal bolt rifle the stock is below the centerline of the bore.......

85486%2085488%2085490%2085491.ashx

So the stock (buffer tube) on an AR is deceptively high.......Why the original sights are on a carry handle........

ERM-AGM-M16-033.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Shooter13Shooter13 Member Posts: 125 Member
    Good pick on the red dot, I have the same one in Tan, it's an OPMOD version made exclusively for Optics planet. So far I love this red dot. Same boat as you I didn't want to spend $500 but also didn't want BSA quality (or lack of) I got a great deal on it.. For the price I'd say it's well worth it.. I'd buy and recommend this product again..

Here's mine..
    From my VERY limited knowledge...It's to be able to still use the iron sites if the optic fails.

This is true, I can flip up my rear sight see right through the red dot scope and everything is in line. This is harder to do with the tiny micro red dots.. So good choice..
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,239 Senior Member
    Shooter13 wrote: »
    Good pick on the red dot, I have the same one in Tan, it's an OPMOD version made exclusively for Optics planet. So far I love this red dot. Same boat as you I didn't want to spend $500 but also didn't want BSA quality (or lack of) I got a great deal on it.. For the price I'd say it's well worth it.. I'd buy and recommend this product again..

Here's mine..

The one spec that concerned me before I bought it was the 4 MOA dot. Went ahead with it because I'm likely to shoot 50 to 100 yards. Have you found a distance where that 4 MOA dot is a problem?
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    The one spec that concerned me before I bought it was the 4 MOA dot. Went ahead with it because I'm likely to shoot 50 to 100 yards. Have you found a distance where that 4 MOA dot is a problem?

For the type of shooting that you'll be doing with that carbine, it likely won't be an issue. My Aimpoint Comp M2 has a 4moa dot, hitting coke cans, clay pigeons, tennis balls, etc... at 100 yards isn't an issue. For a smallish target like that (smaller than 4" at 100 yards), just cover the target with the dot and shoot. So long as none of the target is visible outside of the dot, you're almost certainly centered on it.

It's not going to be good for precision shooting at 600 yards, but that's not what this carbine is for. For just messing around at the range, practicing, training, or SD, the 4moa dot will serve you just fine.
    He

Like Eli said, not at all an issue. Red dots are designed for close combat not snipping at 5-600 yds. With the vortex i was at bullseye every shot at 50yds at 100yds not perfect but still on target. At 50 yds very tight groups, at 100yds i was still able to get all my shots in a tennis ball size spread.

If you want to shoot 200yds + id look into the Nikon p223 or m223 these are specifically designed for ARs and the 223\5.56 caliber. This was a tough choice for me but decided red dot was the way to go since most my shooting will be within the 50yd area