Extemporaneous speech vs. prepared speech

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 26,186 Senior Member
Since the politicians and wannabe politicians are hitting the campaign trail, thought the subject of extemporaneous speech as opposed to prepared speech needed a little discussion.

During thinking about it, think about Joe Biden. When he gives a prepared speech and takes no questions, he does O.K. But when he speaks 'off the cuff', he tends to make some hilarious, and sometimes telling, gaffes. And then there's that 'share the wealth' comment by Obama to 'Joe the Plumber' comment. His actions of late on taxes solidify that little gem.

In extemporaneous speech, there are no prepared notes or prepared speech. The speaker is speaking to a question or to give their viewpoint. They rarely have any time to prepare remarks, so will generally speak how they really feel instead of what they want you to think they feel. They may, and often do, step all over their prepared talking points and prepared speech material.

Prepared speeches are rarely written solely by the person giving the speech. There are focus groups that put forth what they think the people want to hear, and others put in material that sounds good, or seems to promise something, to get the target audience to come to their side.

When the venue is a debate of the candidates, very little will be forthcoming except talking points on which they have drilled relentlessly, unless someone feels that they are being put upon, and get mad. Then they speak the truth, mostly, because their anger breaks down the polished veneer and gets to what they really think and feel about something.

During the relentless political circus coming up, listen carefully and with a critical ear. You'll be surprised at what you really hear.
If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

Replies

• robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    I would like to know just who are the people who write these speeches for people like the President, and Vice President?,, It just seems like to me that Political leaders of yesteryear like Lincoln, Eisehower, Kennedy etc. didn't use a lot so called "Speech writers", now I could be wrong but if one remembers history, the one knows the the Gettsyburg Adress, speech by Abraham Lincoln is said to have been written while he was on a train, in about 10 minutes....and some historians say its one of the best ever written.......

..... William Jennings Bryan once said:

As long as there are human rights to be defended; as long as there are great interests to be guarded; as long as the welfare of nations is a matter for discussion, so long will public speaking have its place. Rhetoric is the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing and language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content...And to me this is just what a political speech is whether its written by the person who is giving the speech or written by a 'speech writer'... A lot of politicians use a technique called "RHETORICAL TECHNIQUES, and DEVICES, when speaking. Along with the speech it might be interesting to add here is the importance of Body Language when one gives a speech. According to oft-repeated statistics 7% of a message is comunicated by the actual words used and 38% by the tone, and 55% is via body language.These figures are from a study done over 40 years ago by Dr. Albert Mehrabian in 1967 at UCLA and I don't know if these hold water today.

... I would also add the fact that where the speech is given has a profound effect on the people who listen to it. For example, in televised debates between politicians the impression they create on TV through their tonality and body language is probably more important than the answers they give to the questions put before them. People don't remember the detailed answers when discussing the debate at work the next morning they remember the general impression they got and whether the candidates passed the "would-I-have-a-beer-with-this-guy" test. How else can we explain the fact that voters listening to radio often think one candidate came off best,while other folks say the other candidate did well on TV? Makes me wonder how much time these candidates spend on practicing their body language as well as rehersing their speeches.......

........I can't count the times I have listened to political speeches on the TV and the radio, that sound good, promise me and you what we want to hear, we get all fired up about this candidate, go out and vote for him/her, and only to find out after re-election, that the speech they gave turned out to be empty promises, lies, and more lies, false-truths, half-truths, and a bunch of down right BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have come to the conclusion that political speeches are just a bunch of hogwarsh,to get the voting public to cast their vote for who or whom is giving the speech. I also feel that some speeches are catered to certain geographical areas, and targeted specifically to certain individuals that carry a large percentage of the vote. Never the less someone once told me that a good oratator, facillator, a good public speaker, will never answer a question, posed by the audience,but some how get the viewing audience to answer them... I suppose that speeches are here to stay especially with todays modern methods of instance communication, and wheter we like them or hate them, its getting real close to that time again.......
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    I would like to know just who are the people who write these speeches for people like the President, and Vice President?,, It just seems like to me that Political leaders of yesteryear like Lincoln, Eisehower, Kennedy etc. didn't use a lot so called "Speech writers", now I could be wrong but if one remembers history, the one knows the the Gettsyburg Adress, speech by Abraham Lincoln is said to have been written while he was on a train, in about 10 minutes....and some historians say its one of the best ever written.......

..... William Jennings Bryan once said:

As long as there are human rights to be defended; as long as there are great interests to be guarded; as long as the welfare of nations is a matter for discussion, so long will public speaking have its place. Rhetoric is the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing and language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content...And to me this is just what a political speech is whether its written by the person who is giving the speech or written by a 'speech writer'... A lot of politicians use a technique called "RHETORICAL TECHNIQUES, and DEVICES, when speaking. Along with the speech it might be interesting to add here is the importance of Body Language when one gives a speech. According to oft-repeated statistics 7% of a message is comunicated by the actual words used and 38% by the tone, and 55% is via body language.These figures are from a study done over 40 years ago by Dr. Albert Mehrabian in 1967 at UCLA and I don't know if these hold water today.

... I would also add the fact that where the speech is given has a profound effect on the people who listen to it. For example, in televised debates between politicians the impression they create on TV through their tonality and body language is probably more important than the answers they give to the questions put before them. People don't remember the detailed answers when discussing the debate at work the next morning they remember the general impression they got and whether the candidates passed the "would-I-have-a-beer-with-this-guy" test. How else can we explain the fact that voters listening to radio often think one candidate came off best,while other folks say the other candidate did well on TV? Makes me wonder how much time these candidates spend on practicing their body language as well as rehersing their speeches.......

........I can't count the times I have listened to political speeches on the TV and the radio, that sound good, promise me and you what we want to hear, we get all fired up about this candidate, go out and vote for him/her, and only to find out after re-election, that the speech they gave turned out to be empty promises, lies, and more lies, false-truths, half-truths, and a bunch of down right BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have come to the conclusion that political speeches are just a bunch of hogwarsh,to get the voting public to cast their vote for who or whom is giving the speech. I also feel that some speeches are catered to certain geographical areas, and targeted specifically to certain individuals that carry a large percentage of the vote. Never the less someone once told me that a good oratator, facillator, a good public speaker, will never answer a question, posed by the audience,but some how get the viewing audience to answer them... I suppose that speeches are here to stay especially with todays modern methods of instance communication, and wheter we like them or hate them, its getting real close to that time again.......
    :yikes: nice cut an paste job
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
    tennmike wrote: »
    Since the politicians and wannabe politicians are hitting the campaign trail, thought the subject of extemporaneous speech as opposed to prepared speech needed a little discussion.

During thinking about it, think about Joe Biden. When he gives a prepared speech and takes no questions, he does O.K. But when he speaks 'off the cuff', he tends to make some hilarious, and sometimes telling, gaffes. And then there's that 'share the wealth' comment by Obama to 'Joe the Plumber' comment. His actions of late on taxes solidify that little gem.

In extemporaneous speech, there are no prepared notes or prepared speech. The speaker is speaking to a question or to give their viewpoint. They rarely have any time to prepare remarks, so will generally speak how they really feel instead of what they want you to think they feel. They may, and often do, step all over their prepared talking points and prepared speech material.

Prepared speeches are rarely written solely by the person giving the speech. There are focus groups that put forth what they think the people want to hear, and others put in material that sounds good, or seems to promise something, to get the target audience to come to their side.

When the venue is a debate of the candidates, very little will be forthcoming except talking points on which they have drilled relentlessly, unless someone feels that they are being put upon, and get mad. Then they speak the truth, mostly, because their anger breaks down the polished veneer and gets to what they really think and feel about something.

During the relentless political circus coming up, listen carefully and with a critical ear. You'll be surprised at what you really hear.

I am hoping for some Yogi Berra type quotes
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,186 Senior Member
    Like, "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

tennmike wrote: »
    Like, "If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"It's like deja-vu, all over again."

"The future ain't what it used to be."