Home Main Category Hunting

The .30-30 Ackley Improved Contender Strikes!

2»

Replies

  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Superb. All the way around. I love the blood trail pic. Great autopsy, too.

    Oh, yeah. Nice buck! Got one very similar running around here.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    He's more than wide enough between the main beams. He looks at least 14 if not 15 inchs. That's big for an 8 point which this would have been had it not had a defected side. Still a nice deer even with a defective side. The bases are nice. That was a healthy buck. There's other reasons for antler defects than genetics. I don't think that's a genetically inferior deer. But if the land owner thinks it's good, more power to you. Again, great deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    He's more than wide enough between the main beams. He looks at least 14 if not 15 inchs. That's big for an 8 point which this would have been had it not had a defected side. Still a nice deer even with a defective side. The bases are nice. That was a healthy buck. There's other reasons for antler defects than genetics. I don't think that's a genetically inferior deer.

    He was 16" wide inside spread. There is no state enforced minimum spread requirement in my neck of the woods. His bases were 5" and 5.25" with 20" and 22" main beams.

    I don't care about all those measurements. But, the ranch took all those, weights, and pictures of the teeth and all for their management biologist.

    He was a very healthy deer.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,321 Senior Member
    With that angle and shot placement, you're driving through the arteries above the heart and pressing "GO" on what in my limited experience seems to be about a ten second countdown to the deer hitting the ground - maybe a little longer on a deer like yours that's about 75 pounds bigger than what I've been working with. I've seen this "movie" three times now, and my best interpretation of it is that shots completely transecting the pumphouse are disrupting the blood flow, but aren't really taking out much in the way of nervous system parts. As such, there's probably not much pain that would cause a neural overload and instant crash, and this is what enables the deer to stagger for a handful of yards before the brain gets the message. Basically, you have administered the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

    And done it VERY well, I might add.:worthy:
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    With that angle and shot placement, you're driving through the arteries above the heart and pressing "GO" on what in my limited experience seems to be about a ten second countdown to the deer hitting the ground - maybe a little longer on a deer like yours that's about 75 pounds bigger than what I've been working with. I've seen this "movie" three times now, and my best interpretation of it is that shots completely transecting the pumphouse are disrupting the blood flow, but aren't really taking out much in the way of nervous system parts. As such, there's probably not much pain that would cause a neural overload and instant crash, and this is what enables the deer to stagger for a handful of yards before the brain gets the message. Basically, you have administered the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

    And done it VERY well, I might add.:worthy:

    True. But, there appears to be less hydrostatic shock and temporary/permanent cavity damage to the vitals as compared to that resulting from higher velocity impacts. But still, he bled quite a lot once it started flowing out and had little internal bleeding.

    On the flip side, animals that have catastrophic internal damage and drop on the spot tend to have severe internal bleeding and excessively damaged lungs/heart.

    I guess it all makes sense, really.

    Greater damage...faster death....greater internal bleeding.

    Less damage....delayed death.....more external bleeding.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Good shooting, and very good bullet performance considering the velocity. My "go to" .30 caliber bullet for 30-something years has been the Hornady 130 grain spire point, in .30-06, .308, 7.62X39 and .30-30. Between myself, my son, three grandkids and a niece and a nephew, we've accounted for 50-something deer with that bullet. The -06 is particularly impressive, with chrono speeds in the 3100 FPS range, and bang/flop kills out past 300 yards.

    BTW, with that "rest" shouldn't you be wearing this insignia?

    Image103.gif

    :jester:
    Jerry
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    :cool:

    Yep, even with that stupid crimp ring, i've been very pleased with the performance of that bullet out of both the .308 Win and now the .30-30 AI. I have stocked up on them now and they should last me a bit. I'm about to need to load more for the .308 Win.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Also, I'm in love with that pistol. The color combo, and the proportions......perfect. It looks really, uh, handy? Not overly cumbersome, bulky.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,587 Senior Member
    Utterly fascinating. I always enjoy reading these accounts. How did you come to decide now was the time to try this pistol?
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,490 Senior Member
    I think it is very cool, but I don't regret getting rid of all of my TC stuff.
    cpj wrote: »
    I wish he would quit posting pics of it. Pisses me off every time I think back to when I got rid of mine.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I wish he would quit posting pics of it. Pisses me off every time I think back to when I got rid of mine.

    She has the .44 Mag barrel on her now.

    44MagContenderwith2xPentax2-Copy_zpsf45529ce.jpg

    That's next up for the Contender. Then..........the .35 Remington. And then...........
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,490 Senior Member
    Ha!
    He is on a roll!!!!!
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    I think it is very cool, but I don't regret getting rid of all of my TC stuff.

    I absolutely LOVE the Contender!!! For under 300 yards, it is my favorite Specialty Pistol. It is the most ergonomic handgun I've handled. It's light and compact. Sleek and aesthetically pleasing. Accurate enough for 300 yard work and doesn't beat you up in the process.

    I kick myself for having sold my previous ones. I even once had a stainless model back around '91 and later a blued model.

    BUT, that's all been righted. I'm happy to have one back in the fold. It does what it does and does it very well. The old frames, at least. Couple them with custom barrels...........all is good.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    Ha!
    He is on a roll!!!!!

    Actually, that's not the grip and forend it's wearing. I just (today) received a new (old) set of grips that I've been looking for forever. The finger groove synthetic and thumb shelf walnut. I have a finger groove / walnut grip coming in the next day or so.

    Ive vey been looking and looking for these grips. But, idiots were asking $50 for them.......used!!! Weren't no way. Then, last week, I found them on GB for MUCH less (much) in pristine condition. So, I swiped them.

    Its ta currently wearing the TC finger groove synthetic and a smooth, rounded synthetic forend. I just don't have a picture.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Its ugly in that dress.

    Yeah, yeah. It ain't walnut, I know. But, I cannot find a walnut forend for the original Contender frame with pistol barrels that I like. I HATE those sharp edged pyramid looking Schnabel Forend tapered atrocities. So, until I do...............

    44MagnewGrips2_zpsaefb48a9.jpg

    This is her current state of affairs.

    (I do not like the Pachmeyer set either)

    I had all my custom barrels cut to accept a rifle length forend. Which is what I took the deer with. The longer rifle length walnut forend.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement