Home Main Category General Firearms

I finally own a .30-06

Replies

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Um.... It's not made the journey to the house yet. Still at the office. Come on, you guys know how I operate by now! SHE must not be made aware!

I can look at it tomorrow.

In that case, you do not own enough guns! :nono: You know you own enough guns when she cannot tell the difference between a new one and the rest.

"Which one is that?"
    "What? This old thing? That's just my old '06."
    "Oh... ok."

:tooth:
    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I showed mine a picture of an 1895 Marlin the other day. She said "don't you have one of those?"
    "No."
    "It looks just like the others." She replied.
    I see that as permission to buy one.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Also, as a note of interest, and this is just ball park on my part, because I can't remember the exact cut off, but if it's Rock Island it's safe if over SN 300,000. If it's Springfield, it's safe at a SN of something over 800,000 or right at it. Anything lower for either is to be considered unsafe.

Like I said, I can't remember the exact cut off point but this is close to what I've read.

Also, I think I read that they figured this out around 1918 so if yours was made in 1919 it should be safe, if that's true. If you have a rifle that is close to these SNs it might be a good idea to have it checked out by an expert on the subject.

Now think about this; if what I just said is true, and I'm fairly positive that is what I've read, then they used many of these supposed unsafe rifles in WWI. The question is how many blew up in a GI's face during that war? I've never heard of it happening. Maybe it did but I've never heard of it. Now I wouldn't shoot one of the low SN 03s on a bet, just to be safe, but wouldn't it be a crock if they found out that this is all just a perceived problem in somebody's head and wasn't a real problem?

Another thing, if it is a real problem, then why can't they be re-heat treated? Would it cause warpage or distortion of critical tolerance parts? I'm just curious.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,871 Senior Member
    Here you go Snake....Google is a wonderful thing....

"Hatcher had data on the injury caused by the receiver failures for 43 of the 68 accidents. Three men lost an eye (7% of the total accidents) and 6 more (14%) had unspecified injuries considered serious or severe. The remaining 34 failures (79%) caused minor injury. The risk of serious injury from the failure of a low numbered Springfield receiver would be about 0.7 serious injuries per 100,000 rifles manufactured. "

Here's the entire article entitled "Some Observations On The Failure Of U.S. Model 1903 Rifle Receivers" by
    Joseph L. Lyon, M.D., M.P.H.

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    Nice rifle; mine is a Remington '03 and it has prove to be on par with my Mausers regarding accuracy & reliability. A proper military-type leather sling is a "must" for this rifle.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,333 Senior Member
    Antonio wrote: »
    Nice rifle; mine is a Remington '03 and it has prove to be on par with my Mausers regarding accuracy & reliability. A proper military-type leather sling is a "must" for this rifle.

What rifle? The dream one that we hear about but never see?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    At 2:25 PM Eastern it will be 24 hours from announcement with no pictures... $5.00 fine
    X2

No excuses at this point unless there was some swinal emergency Dr. Buffy. Hiding from the ole lady isn't a emergency, though that might be a room that you may visit once she learns, we don't care.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    X2

No excuses at this point ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we don't care.
    ...... Yep.........Pic time chicken boy.........:buff:
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    cpj wrote: »
    "Guess what it is?"

A pigment of your imagination?
    fify

Lets go Buff, your pain is our humor.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I'm glad my suffering provides comedic relief to otherwise mundane existences.

The dumb ass pigs pulled a water hose into the pen and somehow managed to turn on the spigot. It's like they're TRYING to catch pneumonia.

I swear the rifle exists guys. If I'm not too tired after feeding up I'll head to the office and get her.

Damn pigs.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,675 Senior Member
    Do you rent pigs?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    Guess what it is

It probably would have been mine if he would have gotten pictures posted. As much as I want one of those I couldn't do it sight unseen.
    Enjoy, now you can give the .270 to your girls.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    It probably would have been mine if he would have gotten pictures posted. As much as I want one of those I couldn't do it sight unseen.
    Enjoy, now you can re barrel it to .270.....so as not to hurt Yourself
    FIFY
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    I'm glad my suffering provides comedic relief to otherwise mundane existences.
    As are we.

The dumb ass pigs pulled a water hose into the pen and somehow managed to turn on the spigot. It's like they're TRYING to catch pneumonia.

Damn pigs.
    Swineami is a justifiable excuse.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    What rifle? The dream one that we hear about but never see?

Didn't I post a pic? If I didn't, will pay the fine's equivalent in beer to the 1st. forum member I see next trip over there.

Here it is after putting all the missing/worn small parts (Buttplate, rear band, extractor and few others I can't remember); also had to install a 30-06 to .308 chamber insert since "ought-six" ammo goes for over 30 bucks a box of 20 rounds (Reloading "verboten") and as member of the local Army-sponsored civilian shooting club I get the NATO stuff for free to practice and shoot in the matches they organize:

At the lowest rear sight setting using local (FAME) production and Norinco FMJ (150gr. I think) I
    hit a tad, maybe 3", low to P.O.A. @ 220 yards, so I already asked a friend to bring me a replacement front sight to file it down a little, so P.O.I. raises. Before the modification I tried a few rounds of U.S. surplus (L.C. from the late '50s) and at the same sight setting it was dead on spot.

Now I need a Winchester 52 to match it; had one in my hands with worn metal finish but complete and mechanically OK for around $ 170 but had to pass it to a friend who had just made the same for me with a VZ-24....hope he eventually gets bored of it (Have shoot it only once) and sell it to me.
    You said "nice rifle" to Buffy. He has no rifle, in fact his presense is fading.

As to yours. Factory MV with the 308 ammo will likely be around 2800fps which is only 100 hotter than M2 ball. Shouldnt make a lot of difference. For giggles, lay the ladder flat and shoot the battlesight. IIRC, it should be POA=POI at 347 yards battlesight zero. If you are shooting dead on at 100.

Need to go. Will check some stuff out.
    Grr. Missed all day of work because I'm toting hogs to the vet. Can you spell pneumonia? $300 of antibiotics and fever reducers and equipment later and now I'm headed to the barn to inject these pigs. The 200 lb gilt is going to be very interesting. She's got an attitude anyway, and has bit at me once already.

Sigh. My wife has no idea when she dismisses my pig "hobby" as an expensive, FUN thing I delve in.

One piece of news, the vet told me I'm the third pig farmer that has called him and we all called the same day. Guess where we all bought our pigs from? The same stockyard. Small comfort knowing it wasn't anything I've done, but very small indeed.

So just keep the fine going. I'll get settled up in a bit.
    The only extra curricular activities I have with pigs is the wild ones and that is shooting them and cooking them.

My 30-06 Remington 700 SPS did it again this morning. My grandson killed his first deer with it. I have several guns chambered for several different cartridges, but I don't think any of them can touch my two favorites, the .270 and the 30-06. They are both great performers.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    If you can keep them healthy, there's lots of people clamoring for fresh pork, and they're willing to pay. It definitely supports my gun habit.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Yeah, so mine KNOWS guns. I can't hide ANYTHING from her...

Hey, this reminds me not to be so free with my knowledge around mine. She don't forget crap and though she's never really been around guns, she's smart enough to figure out a lot without me telling her, and the more I tell her, the more she can put things together and the more she'll have to hold against me,

:silly:..........:yikes:..........:roll2:..........:rotflmao:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    If you can keep them healthy, there's lots of people clamoring for fresh pork, and they're willing to pay. It definitely supports my gun habit.
    If I had a good, trusted source I'd be willing to get non-commercial pork. Not because I have some aversion to commercially raised pork (I eat a bit of it) but because the pork like Buffco grows is much better. Much, much better.
    Overkill is underrated.
    You said "nice rifle" to Buffy. He has no rifle, in fact his presense is fading.

As to yours. Factory MV with the 308 ammo will likely be around 2800fps which is only 100 hotter than M2 ball. Shouldnt make a lot of difference. For giggles, lay the ladder flat and shoot the battlesight. IIRC, it should be POA=POI at 347 yards battlesight zero. If you are shooting dead on at 100.

Need to go. Will check some stuff out.

Army range is 220 yards long.....280 if I hit the backstop hill. For a longer shot I have to drive 50 miles South to a private range with 400+ yards and nice gongs to hit, but have to drive through a mandatory police checkpoint and if pulled aside to be inspected, carrying a rifle & ammo no matter having ALL and even extra required paperwork will set me back around $ 20 for "transportation fees" (Or have to wait 2 hours+ 'till my documents are "checked" by lying on top of the guy in charge while he finish his breakfast :angry:). That's why I need the replacement front sight blade with this ammo & battlesights to hit dead center while aiming "6 o'clock" at the rifle target.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,675 Senior Member
    Captain Augustus McCrea: "We don't rent pigs." Now I know why.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    If I had a good, trusted source I'd be willing to get non-commercial pork. Not because I have some aversion to commercially raised pork (I eat a bit of it) but because the pork like Buffco grows is much better. Much, much better.
    You can trust me.

We're not that far away. Plan you a day trip and bring a couple of coolers. I'll have some ready first to middle of February.

Come on a Saturday and we can get Lil' Bream introduced to Messrs Lee Twins.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Dude. You said "you can trust me" to me once.

Don't do it Bream. It's a trap.
    Should I wear my chastity belt and be prepared to repel boarders?
    Overkill is underrated.
    You GUYS!

Don't listen to them, Bream. I will not molest you. Unless you're into that sort of thing.

But let me know if you want to pork. I mean, want SOME pork.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,068 Senior Member
    Good to see you have your priorities right.
    Get your pigs fixed first Buffy, don't worry about the pic 'fine', I will pick up the tab for that.

So who's gonna jump on a plane to come and collect it.............:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Antonio wrote: »
    Army range is 220 yards long.....280 if I hit the backstop hill. For a longer shot I have to drive 50 miles South to a private range with 400+ yards and nice gongs to hit, but have to drive through a mandatory police checkpoint and if pulled aside to be inspected, carrying a rifle & ammo no matter having ALL and even extra required paperwork will set me back around $ 20 for "transportation fees" (Or have to wait 2 hours+ 'till my documents are "checked" by lying on top of the guy in charge while he finish his breakfast :angry:). That's why I need the replacement front sight blade with this ammo & battlesights to hit dead center while aiming "6 o'clock" at the rifle target.

220 is fine, with the ladder down at that range you should be hitting above POA. There is another sight blade that will put it dead on at 100 with the ladder down which would make it low with the ladder up. Just for kicks, shoot it at 100 with the ladder down at a 100 yard target.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,787 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Good to see you have your priorities right.
    Get your pigs fixed first Buffy, don't worry about the pic 'fine', I will pick up the tab for that.

So who's gonna jump on a plane to come and collect it.............:tooth:

Alec, you never heard of electronic funds transfer?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5