Home Main Category Clubhouse

Teach & other auto racing fans, keen video of Mercedes turbo

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
I was reading about the just-finished Formula 1 season and happened across this very well animated video showing how the new Mercedes "split turbo" system works. Some pretty sharp designers there, for sure:

http://jalopnik.com/how-mercedes-ingenious-f1s-split-turbo-works-1560969552

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I wonder what kind of engineering voodoo went on to keep that long shaft lubricated when it's spinning at turbine speed? (20-30K RPM or more) A short-coupled turbo needs several gallons of oil flow a minute to keep the shaft lubed, and it's usually less than 3 inches long.
    Jerry
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Hey Teach, Don't think the shaft is long enough to need lubrication in the middle just the bearings on each end. Super engineering to say no more. :applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Yeah, pretty keen, eh? Racing (in the big leagues) shows how advancements in general automotive design will later move. Not all the goodies that were first introduced in racing make their way into our street vehicles but the list is amazingly long.

With the emphasis on fuel management and precision engineering, automotive engineers will continue to find ways to provide considerable horsepower in more fuel efficient and smaller engines.

I've no doubt that this new turbo design will find its way into the top line of Mercedes cars.