Home Main Category Clubhouse

In the oven

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,398 Senior Member
The B1-RD is in the hanger 0755. Cleaned, salted, stuffed and buttered, 5 hours to go.

Break time until about 11A

Stuffing is bread, with onion, carrots, celery chopped fine, and a few mushrooms sauteed in BUTTER. Raisins and apple chunks are added to the mix along with more BUTTER before being jammed into the lightly salted cavity of the bird with the excess tucked into the front under the neck skin.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    One on the smoker and one brined and injected waiting for the fryer.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Mine is locked and loaded waiting in the fridge, I'll put him in the heat @ 9:30. First time in 19 years working for the FD that I managed to get Thanksgiving off.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    a pair of breasts injected with apple juice, compound butter (parsley and creole seasoning) under the skin. in the smoker with white wine and apple juice in the "water" reservoir and apple wood smoking.

Also ran a nice 4pt out from having his acorn breakfast from the oak @ the back corner of the house.
    Getting caught coming back at a later date could be HAZARDOUS to his health :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Put the turkey on the gas portion of the grill (keeps your kitchen from getting hot due to the oven running for 4 hours.) Salted, peppered, stuffed loosely with apples, onions, and some sprigs of rosemary and thyme. I rubbed a compound butter of garlic, flat-leaf parsley, rosemary, thyme, and sage (all fresh and chopped fine) between the skin and the meat last night. I've got it sitting in a roasting pan with apples, onions, and a little apple juice and will be basting with rosemary and thyme-infused apple juice.

Edited to add: this if the fourth year of my doing it this way, and it always turns out quite well.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ole Tom is prepped/stuffed with corn bread stuffing mix Mrs Chief made with apple and raisins in the oven. Extra stuffing in another dish. Pumpkin pies baked last night in the fridge. Mashed potatoes from scratch and green beans will be started later.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Only have an 11# bird. Won't start it until 11:30............. Wife made the pies last nite.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Resting before being carved and packed for the trip to my parent's house
    turkey2014_zpsee286d63.jpg
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Having brunch now. Took daughter down to Miami to run the Turkey Trot, dinner will be later today
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Carved and packed.... UMMMMMM tasty

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Sweet taters boiling. They will be sliced and candied with BUTTER, brown sugar, a little sorgum molasses, and milk in a cast iron frying pan.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    Brined it Tuesday, smoked/cooked and de-boned it Wednesday. Sitting here, drinking coffee, waiting for kids and grandkids arrivals.

Hawk
    I failed Turkey Basting 101...............dang I went to get the juice outta the turkey pan and put it in the gravy pot and it squirted everywhere. Mrs Chief says there is a trick to it. heck, I used similiar devices for sucking out antifreeze and brake fluid (with a kitchen baster) before and it did squirt all over the place????

Oh well that bird had done its last Turkey Trot and is done and I checked it with a thermometer in several places. Butterballs usually turn out good and this one is very tender and just juicy enough in the right places.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Back from the Refuge and feeding the critters their Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey stuffed with apple & sausage stuffing went into the oven before I left. Cranberry relish and bread pudding were done last night. Finishing the sweet and mashed potatoes now...Giblet gravy will be the last thing just before we dig in....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I'm sure there is an almost a lost art to cookin Coons & Possums and the like. Some of the older country folk might give you some pointers. Even when I was young they were pretty much getting away from that kind of eating and said they only ate it because there wasn't anything else or money to buy meat at the store. Hard times, I reckon.

Not many I've ever talked to wanna go back to it ever again.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    All hell is breaking loose in the kitchen. Earlier I was fed a great breakfast of waffles and bacon with plenty of coffee and I'm back on the couch watching TV waiting on the perfect traditional roasted turkey they assure me is coming. My wife makes a world class super moist turkey stuffed with her own sausage stuffing. She is passing on the tradition to my daughter today (we are at her new house her and fiancé just bought). Oh baby, I can smell it now...

Son-in laws and grandbabys on the horizon and you are getting rid of guns:nono:.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    **** is quite good, I've eaten a lot of them.

Key is to remove the fat and sent glands before cooking. those glands usually come off with the fat.

If it were not for the high incidence of rabies in ****; I'd still eat them.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    My smoked breasts were a hit, even my 20 month old granddaughter liked them. She was given a small piece, ate it, and was asked, "Is that good Penny?" to which she nodded her head and reached for another piece.

There was very little left over either

NN wrote: »
    **** is quite good, I've eaten a lot of them.

Key is to remove the fat and sent glands before cooking. those glands usually come off with the fat.

If it were not for the high incidence of rabies in ****; I'd still eat them.

My grandaddy used to put dead possums and raccoons on top of the trash cans for the collectors, they really appreciated them too! This was late 50s/early 60s.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I've already passed along a quite a few to them and there are still plenty to go around. Besides this is cyclical. In a few years I'll go back to hoarding again...

Good deal, looking forward to it:beer:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Good deal, looking forward to it:beer:

You still have to realize who we are talking about. Downsizing for him means he only needs...........

jw_640.jpg

......... to move his guns to his new place instead of what he used to move them south........
    file0009.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    You still have to realize who we are talking about. Downsizing for him means he only needs...........

file0009.jpg

Hey, one trailer for gun storage, one for ammo and one for knives/holsters and accessories......makes sense to me :tooth: :guns::guns::guns:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    My company arrived early and stayed late. The 19 pound turkey was completely devoured, as well as most of a 12 lb. ham and a giant roasting pan full to the brim with cornbread dressing (with another roasted 10 lb. turkey distributed inside). There is a little bit of home made jalapeño cranberry sauce left, and a few odds and ends to graze on for a couple days - just right, in my opinion.

After 2-3 decades of hosting the family TG get-together, we have prepared 2-3 turkeys each time, in almost every possible way, and I have come to the conclusion that the one thing that makes a turkey better than any other turkey is brining it. Before we started brining, fried turkeys were my choice, but after a few years of brining before either roasting in the oven or smoking has conclusively proven to me that it yields a delicious turkey every time, regardless of the extra herbs and injected seasonings, or the cooking method. Basically, a good brine, for 12 hours in advance, get the internal temp to 165 degrees F. by any means at your disposal, and let the turkey assume room temperature (or close to it) before slicing, and it will taste great. I like a little smoky flavor, personally, but it won't really matter, if it is brined.