Home Main Category Personal Defense

How has concealed carry changed your behavior (or not)?

2»

Replies

• bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    It has changed my whole perception of what self-defense is, and what freedom should be. I was as naive as they come on the subjects of guns, the 2A, and individual responsibility. It all changed when I met a former Texas deputy sheriff named Karl Kalhoun. The next months of my life were filled with revelation, and they continued with a plain-spoken, unassuming classic-rock lovin' bear hunter named Keith, who broke the ice with me by calling me his property. I haven't been the same since.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    It has changed my whole perception of what self-defense is, and what freedom should be. I was as naive as they come on the subjects of guns, the 2A, and individual responsibility. It all changed when I met a former Texas deputy sheriff named Karl Kalhoun. The next months of my life were filled with revelation, and they continued with a plain-spoken, unassuming classic-rock lovin' bear hunter named Keith, who broke the ice with me by calling me his property. I haven't been the same since.

Good memories! I would however be a teeny bit skittish about a guy who's looking to go deep into the woods with me and said I was his property. I'm of course certain it was just symbolic.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member

Was there a big-headed boy with a banjo?
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Good memories! I would however be a teeny bit skittish about a guy who's looking to go deep into the woods with me and said I was his property. I'm of course certain it was just symbolic.

Actually, what made me skittish was when his brother leaned over to him while we were on our way to the hunting spot and said, "He knows to be quiet, right? 'Cause if he don't, we can just shoot him and leave him out there". This was, of course, the day after my dad questioned my sanity for going into the woods with two white guys with guns.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    LMLarsen wrote: »

:rotflmao: I saw that movie for the first time a year or so ago. Never understood those jokes until then. Once again, a whole new perspective on life. :tooth:
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,331 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

That guy is still alive and working at WalMart in Toccoa, GA, if he hasn't retired. Read an article about him a couple of years back. It told his disability, but I don't remember what it was. He's getting on in years by now.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    This was, of course, the day after my dad questioned my sanity for going into the woods with two white guys with guns.

Bobby, the whitest dude I ever met was a black guy that I used to work in an office with. He tried every way in the world to get me to go to the Florida Everglades with him to go python/anaconda and gator hunting.

No way in hell was I getting my fat ass out in the swamp with all the creepy crawlies.
    :roll2:
    :rotflmao: I saw that movie for the first time a year or so ago. Never understood those jokes until then. Once again, a whole new perspective on life. :tooth:

Incidentally, the novel is a great read. One of my favorite American novels. You might give it a try.
    Eli wrote: »
    Bobby, the whitest dude I ever met was a black guy that I used to work in an office with. He tried every way in the world to get me to go to the Florida Everglades with him to go python/anaconda and gator hunting.

That struck a chord in my memory. Many years back, in Kansas City in the late 60s, I went to a BBQ charity thing at this Episcopal church (I'm a "Whiskeypalian") that was mostly black. If you go to mostly black either Roman Catholic or Episcopal churches, you can get really confused, as a large percentage of the members are "oreos" (black outside, white inside). Anyway, I got acquainted with a brother and sister cop pair, whose father was also a KC cop. So I enjoyed Linda and Lloyd as friends and eventually started dating Linda, after getting Lloyd's okay -- you don't want to get on the wrong side of a cop. Linda and I went out for about 2-3 months and parted as friends. It was a bit odd, a semi-hippie rowdy white guy hooked up with a ramrod straight (and gorgeous) black cop. And yeah, she was like your black pal, totally oreo.
    I honestly have no clue.

"Changed" doesn't really apply to me. Before I started carrying, I hadn't really lived long enough to have my own behavior. I got my CCL on my 18th birthday and have carried virtually every day since then.

Now that is a great thing -- starting out immediately with a CCL.

I kinda think that I was at times maybe carrying for a long time before I actually got the license, maybe or maybe not. Stuff happens and you know how things go, not always 100% to code. Most of the time it was a Ruger Security Six .357 w. 4" barrel. Later a Colt Gold Cup .45, and of course a little Beretta and other keen young guy guns to own.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,331 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Incidentally, the novel is a great read. One of my favorite American novels. You might give it a try.

The movie was made in my home area. It was filmed on the Chattooga River for a lot, but the badwater section was in the Tallulah River, which used to be Tallulah Falls...but in 1907 or so, they built a hydro-electric dam, so no longer the remarkable falls. But it brought electricity to NE GA.

They let the water out every once in a while, which is how the whitewater scenes got filmed. It's some serious challenging white water. My BIL did it, he's experienced and said it was over his head, so to speak.

The gorge, which is VERY deep, was walked on a tightrope by The Great Wallenda in 1970 or so, and will be done again by his great grandson, Nick. Next year, I think.

The Great did it when he was 65 YOA. It's 600 ft deep where he crossed and 1000 feet across.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    In my younger years, I would run like hell from any guy that would / might call me "his property!"

I remember an older guy sweet talking a kid claiming to be a famous baseball player of the time, I yelled at Benny, hey stupid ! Look at how old he is !!!!
    The guy appeared to be around 60 years old, too old to be who he claimed to be...

I will never buy into the I don't carry because etc.... however that only applies to me and my situation, I carry because, fire extinguishers, tools, the ability to make fire, all these things help us cope with forces stronger than ourselves...

What do you do if unarmed and meet up with a wild animal, and you will find beasts in larger cities, there was a report of a bear cub in a pharmacy here in Oregon, what guarantee mama bear was not nearby ?

I am also quite tired of tea totaling folks, seems like many Hispanic ( I am one) and Black Churches continually preach or harp on total abstinence from alcohol, I don't imbibe much, but I like a small libation once in a while, purely medicinal.... lol
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

No way in hell was I getting my fat ass out in the swamp with all the creepy crawlies.
    :roll2:

:rotflmao: I'd pass on that invite.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    In my younger years, I would run like hell from any guy that would / might call me "his property!"

So here's how it happened: We were delivery drivers for Circuit City before they went the way of the dodo. We were going on a run to an area known for race relations of the intolerant kind. Here he is, sitting next to me dressed head-to-toe in denim, with brown boots, a bear claw necklace, and what looked like a home-made shirt, completely silent, as he had been for the whole week that I had known him.
    So, half-joking, I said to him, "Hey, we're going down to Orting today, and I hear the people down there don't exactly like people like me. If something happens, you got my back, right?". He considers this for a moment and says, "Meh, I'll just tell 'em your mine".

I damn near pulled a muscle from laughing so hard.
    Gene L wrote: »
    The movie was made in my home area. etc.

Some great trivia facts! Thanks!

I remember an older guy sweet talking a kid claiming to be a famous baseball player of the time, I yelled at Benny, hey stupid ! Look at how old he is !!!!
    The guy appeared to be around 60 years old, too old to be who he claimed to be...

I will never buy into the I don't carry because etc.... however that only applies to me and my situation, I carry because, fire extinguishers, tools, the ability to make fire, all these things help us cope with forces stronger than ourselves...

What do you do if unarmed and meet up with a wild animal, and you will find beasts in larger cities, there was a report of a bear cub in a pharmacy here in Oregon, what guarantee mama bear was not nearby ?

I am also quite tired of tea totaling folks, seems like many Hispanic ( I am one) and Black Churches continually preach or harp on total abstinence from alcohol, I don't imbibe much, but I like a small libation once in a while, purely medicinal.... lol

Well, it is Oregon, which is an "honorary" rural area, hey? ha ha

We get feral animals in the city, beside cats. We've got 3 Rocky Raccoons who visit, and the occasional possum. Rarely feral dogs for some reason.

This isn't the place for a religious debate but the "water into wine" miracle is pretty definitive proof that drinking was okay. The later commentaries mostly rail against excessive drink, which makes sense. What also makes sense, if you think about it, is that statistically, Hispanic and Black men are more likely to drink to excess, and therefore a church that preaches abstinence might make sense there. Myself, as I've said, I'm a "Whiskeypalian".
    I forgot to add: many Black & Hispanic and other minororities love to preach against carrying a firearm, only bad people carry firearms, wicked City slicker cops etc..........

I guess I have little need of porkchop preachers and their peculiar brand of barnyard wisdom...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • huntergathererhuntergatherer New Member Posts: 30 Member
    I am more aware of my immediate surroundings and the people around me. I am also more aware of my location in a store, restaurant or sporting event. I also pay close attention to what businesses have a NO carry sign at their entrance and try not to do business at those places.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto
    I am more aware of my immediate surroundings and the people around me. I am also more aware of my location in a store, restaurant or sporting event. I also pay close attention to what businesses have a NO carry sign at their entrance and try not to do business at those places.

I try to be aware, important anywhere I may happen to be, so far, I have not seen any no firearms signs in stores etc.., have seen them at gun shows and other restricted areas Oregon & Washington, otherwise it is easy for Me to skip most places that ban firearms....
    I forgot to add: many Black & Hispanic and other minororities love to preach against carrying a firearm, only bad people carry firearms, wicked City slicker cops etc..........

I guess I have little need of porkchop preachers and their peculiar brand of barnyard wisdom...

Ethnicity regardless, I'm also not enamored of the "porkchop preacher" variety -- great tagline, though!

What you say has correctly been echoed by others here -- that carrying concealed has, either due to our requisite classes we took or to our general desire to be more self-aware, resulted in our being more aware of our surroundings, of assessing the layout of things, and our possible circumstances.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    I have been thing about this for awhile.

It has made thing more complicated as well as more fussing around to get out of the house ton go somewhere.

Then there is much trip planning since there are gun free zones that must be frequented.

I am hoping not to find out if it is worth the trouble.
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I remember to put my weapon in my holster before leaving the house. That's pretty much it 'cause I'm already a peach of a guy.